Strange Dream

laurie

I dreamed about Emily the other night for the first time in a long time. Probably because her 10th birthday just passed, she's been on my mind a lot. For those that don't know or don't remember, Emily was my first greyhound; she was with us only 3 very short months before she ran into our glass slider door and broke her neck. I remember it like it was only a minute ago--she was really just starting to have a personality, just learning to play. She was lying on the floor playing with her stuffed monkey, and we were watching Ocean's Eleven--a movie that I have never seen all the way through, to this day. I got up, let her out, and sat back down to continue watching the movie. A few minutes later, she crashed into the glass. I'll never get that sound out of my head. She was not dead but she wasn't breathing. As I gave her rescue breathing, we put her on a trifold lawnchair and carried her to the car. I sat in back and breathed for her while dh drove very, very fast to the emergency vet. They intubated her and did an xray--her neck was broken @ a 90 degree angle--that xray is something else I can still see in my head. The vet told us she would never breathe on her own again. It's something I've blamed myself for over the years, and have had an extrememly tough time getting over. I guess I'm still not over it, and I probably never will be, although I've mostly accepted that it was just a horrible accident and not my "fault."

Not too long ago I finally got rid of the slider doors which have been such a terrible reminder every day for the last nearly seven years, and got beautiful French doors where they used to be.

The other night, I dreamed I was standing by the French doors when they flew open and bright sunlight burst through to where I was standing. A half-second later, Emily came flying through at a full run and went into my body--not crashed into my body, but went inside it.

It was a physically beautiful dream, but not a happy one--I woke up screaming.

I wish I knew what it meant. I do believe that they send us signs from time to time, but I'm not sure what this one means. Maybe she doesn't want me to forget what happened, even though the doors that were my constant reminder are gone? As if I could/would ever forget.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Your story brought tears to my eyes yet again. From my point of your dream I think she's watching over you mom and she'll always be a part of you.

Your story is a great reminder to all new adopters/foster mom & dads to please put masking tape on your doors or large windows with an X until your hound gets used to their new home.

I still do this when I watch other peoples greys, just out of fear.

Don't beat yourself up over this, it was an accident.

:grouphug

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

Perhaps just a reminder that you may not have posted your periodic warning about the need for stickers on glass doors? I know whenever you do that newbies always respond with such gratitude for the warning.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

I agree that it's her telling you she has been and always will be a part of you :bighug :bighug

I am SO sorry for your loss of your sweet girl, and under such terrible circumstances. :sad1 :sad1 :sad1

But I wanted you to know something -- we adopted Rainey over Memorial Day of 2005, our first greyhound -- we have glass sliding doors -- and I saw your 3 year anniversary post in rememberance just before she came home to us. Because of your post, and the warnings you gave about the doors, I taped up big sheets of yellow paper on our door. You very well may have saved Rainey's (and Nube's, too) from a similar injury -- as I'm SURE you've saved countless others. I hope that knowing such a terrible accident did and continues to save many eases your pain just a little :brokenheart:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

"Perhaps just a reminder that you may not have posted your periodic warning about the need for stickers on glass doors? I know whenever you do that newbies always respond with such gratitude for the warning"

Patsy--I actually had thought of that as a possible reason for the dream. I didn't post my reminder this past year, because I'm afraid people get sick of me posting about it. I guess I shouldn't worry about that--the reminder is for the new greyhound owners, who might not think of that as a possibility. I know we didn't. :(

"But I wanted you to know something -- we adopted Rainey over Memorial Day of 2005, our first greyhound -- we have glass sliding doors -- and I saw your 3 year anniversary post in rememberance just before she came home to us. Because of your post, and the warnings you gave about the doors, I taped up big sheets of yellow paper on our door. You very well may have saved Rainey's (and Nube's, too) from a similar injury -- as I'm SURE you've saved countless others. I hope that knowing such a terrible accident did and continues to save many eases your pain just a little "

RaineysMom--thank you for that. It means a lot. :grouphug

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Laurie, I think your dream meant that even though the doors that reminded you of her were gone, she is still within you.

Your annual posts has been a godsend for many many people, myself included. I had two sliders when I first got into greys, and because of your warning I always keep stickers on my doors.

Thank you, and never think we get sick of the reminder. Even us veterans need a reminder and all the newbies need to know what can happen in the blink of an eye.

Hugs

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

To me the fact that she ran through at a full run and right into you means that she wanted to show you that she IS running free and happy and will always be with you. I think she was showing you that athough her body sustained a broken neck- the real her-the spirit- that you loved did not. Only the body died-she is still alive and happy inside you. That's what I got out of it-hope it helps.

I have to echo what was said above. When we moved to our townhouse, the first thing I did was put greyhound clings on the sliding doors so that the puppers wouldn't run into it. It was because of your heartbreaking story that I knew to do this.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

:grouphug She's telling you she is running and happy and that she is ok. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

To me the fact that she ran through at a full run and right into you means that she wanted to show you that she IS running free and happy and will always be with you. I think she was showing you that athough her body sustained a broken neck- the real her-the spirit- that you loved did not. Only the body died-she is still alive and happy inside you. That's what I got out of it-hope it helps.

:nod That was beautiful.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest IndysDad

I, for one, truly appreciate the annual reminders; We have lost 2 hounds in the last year and have adopted 3 ..it got to the point that our Bridge kids didn't need the stickers on our sliding glass door, and I almost forgot to place them on the door when we adopted the new guys... so please keep posting the reminders..it could save the life of a hound and save a new owner a lot of heartache.

I did NOT know this story, what a HORRIBLE thing to have to have gone through. I also think she is reminding you to post that warning again. I remember when I adopted Lily they told us that if we had any big windows to bring her up to them and to touch them with her paws to show her that they were solid AND to put stickers on them.

I must reiterate that I can't imagine how awful that was for you. I had tears in my eyes after reading this. Sending hugs.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

I am so sorry you have felt such guilt and heartbreak over this tragic accident. I think Emily will always be with you. In your dream as Emily came flying thru the new doors and into your heart, she wants you to know she is still with you & to leave the burden you carry behind you. You have saved greyhound lives with your reminder of the danger. I can't think of a better tribute to Emily's memory. :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest HeatherDemps

I completely agree with this.

Well here's a newbie thanking you for this warning. I had seen markers on sliding doors at the house we picked-up our boys and it made perfect sense but I never thought of the tragic consequences. I am sorry you had this horrible experience and yes, you have saved others no doubt about it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.