Helping Hounds Director

Guest emily

Guest emily

I did not see anything posted on Greytalk about Becky Neeley and there was an article in the paper this morning detailing her work with Greyhounds that I wanted to share. There are photos with the story, see http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...e-was-her-dogs/

Leads sought in slaying of Helping Hounds director

By Nikki Bussey

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Memphis homicide detectives worked Saturday to generate leads in the death of Rebecca Neeley, a Hickory Hill woman who shared her love for greyhounds with the ill and the elderly.

The 58-year-old woman's body was found at 10:15 p.m. Wednesday on the floor of a spare bedroom in her home, which she shared with nine greyhounds. Her death was the result of violent asphyxiation.

Neeley, a recreational therapist, was the director of Helping Hounds Pet Therapy, a group that took greyhounds to visit patients at hospitals and nursing homes as a form of therapy.

In a 2003 article in The Commercial Appeal, Neeley said: "A lot of times you can take a dog in to see a patient who won't talk to anyone and they'll start talking about their own pets. Pets offer unconditional love."

Friends and acquaintances said she was devoted to her retired racing greyhounds.

Vicki Cohen, director of Mid-South Greyhound Adoption Option, met Neeley through Helping Hounds.

"Her life was her dogs," Cohen said.

A family member signed Neeley's dogs over to Cohen at the adoption group.

"We have her dogs, so we'll find homes for them," Cohen said. "One was already adopted. Two are on the way to being adopted. They won't be here long; we'll get them placed."

Cohen said greyhounds aren't the type of dog to attack.

"They are very docile and people-friendly," she said. " Mostly people are intimidated by their size."

Kelly Waguespack, operations manager at the Southaven Petco, said Neeley and her volunteers would bring greyhounds to the store to introduce them to the public.

"I know she had a love for animals and a love for people," she said. "She was a really good person, always willing to help."

A neighbor who lives in the 4500 block of Trout Valley, where Neeley was killed, said she didn't know about the death.

"I hadn't really seen anybody or anything," said Wynelle Staggs. "That just really shocks me."

Staggs said someone broke into her house last April, but she was not hurt and nothing was taken.

Homicide Lt. Mark Miller said the attack may have been random, but the investigation is continuing.

"He could have known her, but she could have been outside, he saw her and followed her in the house," Miller said. "There is no way to tell."

Miller said they have not received many tips or calls about the slaying.

Among the items the killer took were Neeley's ATM card and 1999 Ford Explorer, which has since been recovered.

A man in his late-20s to early-30s with a scruffy goatee was caught on a bank security camera using Neeley's ATM card. He used a white towel to mask himself, but police have put out a Crime Stoppers flyer with the best of several images.

"I think there is someone out there that would recognize him," Millar said.

-- Nikki Bussey: 529-2609

On The Web

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 528-CASH (2274) or the homicide unit at 545-5300.

If you would like information on how to adopt one of Rebecca Neeley's greyhounds or other greyhounds, go to midsouthgreyhound.com.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heartbreaking. :(

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

OMG. How awful. :eek Hopefully the killer will be quickly caught and brought to justice. Thank God her greyhounds are all safe. Godspeed, Becky... what a shame your life was cut short. :cry1

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

How sad. I hope they find whoever did this to Becky. She is with all of our rainbow bridge kids and Trish now.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

How tragic, that such a beautiful woman whose life was spent helping others is lost. :gh_run:f_pink:gh_run

It makes me physically sick, such a senseless act for nothing! :weep

Knowing that the worthless piece of ** monster who did this will rot in hell is not enough. :angryfire

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

OMG! How HORRIBLE! : :ohno :ohno :( I hope they find who did this. This just makes me sick. Why? Why?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Teufelsmark

Oh My! That is awful. I can't imagine her families grief and her greyhounds must have been devestated. I am beside myself as to why such a thing would happen to someone that gave so much to her community. My thoughts and parayers to her family and that her greys find good homes. :brokenheart Her poor babies are missing her so much I bet.

Guest emily

I read a few of the comments related to the article and I thought one of the posters said it best - "Whenever they catch this human garbage, they need to feed him to the hounds." AMEN!! I can assure you her babies are in the best of hands, Vicki is a wonderful lady.

Guest joedogs_mom

My heart just hurts for Becky even though I never knew her personally. There are pics of the guy caught by an ATM camera included in the Commercial Appeal's online piece, and I just hope and pray he is apprehended quickly and that justice is swift and appropriate.

Many, many thank yous to Vicki for her endless work over the last few days to retrieve Becky's Greyhounds and many prayers for Becky's family and close friends. No one deserves to die the way she did.

Prayers for her family and not allowed to post my thoughts about the SOB that did this to her :angry:

:candle

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

I am speechless. Prayers for her and her family, her greys and the numerous people she impacted. Wow how tragic and senseless.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest LadyChester

What a senseless loss. I will never understand why such bad things happen to people who do their best to help others and try to do good in this world.

Edited by LadyChester