Monty Is At U Penn Vet Hospital Right Now

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

Monty had a re-check with his derm vet today, as he is doing TERRIBLY.

He definitely has antibiotic resistant staph, so they need to run another culture and sensitivity as none of his antibiotics have worked thus far.

He has ripped himself and chewed himself open from itchiness as the Temaril P leaves his system. He is covered in open sores again.

Now at least let's hope the Cushings resolves.

He is getting an injection today to kill the parasites under his skin, in the hopes that THIS is the real culprit for his many skin problems and itchies. The injection can cause a severe allergic reaction as the buggers die (like anaphylaxis) so they are observing him and DH will pick him up later. If he tolerates the shot, he gets two more in the next four weeks. The vet found an article in which these rare parasites were the cause of severe derm problems in 10 dogs, including THREE greyhounds!

He is likely NOT hypothyroid.

HOWEVER he also has PANNUS. By the way! The opthamologist vet will see him while he is in the hospital.

The vet said, (in a very kind way), "this dog is going to be extremely frustrating to treat, for you and for us. We have tried most of the things that work on allergic dogs. We will all work together and help him but this will be a long and frustrating process".

Tell me about it!

I cried as I left. I hadn't thought I would have to leave him there.

Edited by greytmonty

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, Karen, I'm so sorry you're going through all this. :grouphug :grouphug Good thoughts coming to you and Monty. Hope they can get it all figured out for you. BTW, if it makes you feel any better, pannus, though not curable, is fairly easy to treat.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Sending my many prayers for precious Monty and his family. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

What a mess. Poor Monty. Poor you.

:goodluck for Monty and :grouphug for you.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Awww...poor Monty. Hopefully he'll take the shot like a champ and be home with you soon. And look at the brightside with the Pannus, you can make him look super cool with Doggles. Hang in there! :grouphug

ETA: Which parasite of the two possibities did he have?

Edited by ml529

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Oh dear, it is hard to leave them, isn't it? I hope Monty weathers the injection with no problems and is home with you tonight. Sending good thoughts and prayers that the vets will stick with you and Monty until they find the solutions/solutions to his too many problems. :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest greytmonty

Monty is home and so far is fine. The injection was Ivermectin. They don't know which of the two weird parasites he has, but the treatment is the same for both. They are native to Louisiana. Since Monty raced in Florida I guess they emigrated....

No side effects now. We have to watch him for 24 hours. If he tolerates it our regular vet can do the next two shots, two weeks apart.

The vet is also putting him back on Benadryl but at a high dose, as nothing has controlled his itching except steroids which are unsafe for him at this point.

He also has to wear that E collar, how rude, when we are not home, to stop him from further injuring his boo boos.

The C and S will be back in 3-7 days and then we will know what antibiotic to use.

This part IS the same as Bodie. Rhonda and I email all the time as the two of them have very similar issues in this way.