Zelda

Guest greymouse

Guest greymouse

Our baby, Zelda, is at peace. Right now, while the pain is so fresh and the tears are so abundant, it is the only thing that is giving us any peace, about what has happened.

Many of you have been very supportive and we want you to know how much that has meant to us. It has brought comfort and strength over the last several weeks, since her diagnosis of osteo-sarcoma, on June 16th. To all of you here on Greytalk and to all of our friends that we have come to know at our walks here in London, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

We met Zelda on July 24th last year, and fell in love. She was such a sweet, timid little girl, but she stepped firmly into our hearts, the moment we looked into her eyes. She had just arrived from the track and had to stay so she could be spayed. It was very difficult to walk away and leave her that day, knowing how frightened and confused she seemed. It was an agonizing nine days later, on Ausust 2nd, that we were able to go out and bring her home. Her new sister, Scarlett, was so happy and overwhelmed poor Zelda with her enthusiastic welcome. It was so confusing and overwhelming for her, that she wanted to spend all her time in her crate. We let her do that for about two weeks and then started shutting the door for a couple of hours each evening, so that she would come and be in the same room as we were. It was so exciting when she finally started to come out on her own, but it was still a struggle to get her to trust us and believe that she was okay and she had nothing to fear. It was in May this year that we noticed a wonderful change in her; she seemed to be more relaxed and she started to come out of her shell and begin to blossom. It was as if she finally realized that she was "home". Over the last few weeks, our walking group had arranged extra walks so that Zelda could be with her friends. She loved to ride in the van and go for walks at the park. She had started to be very social, and it was as if she knew that these walks were just for her. She made the rounds and made sure that she greeted each one, like the perfect little hostess. She had her last walk on Saturday evening, and while she was happy to go, her enthusiasm just wasn't the same. We had taken her bed and instead of walking even for the short distance that she had been walking the last few times, she laid quietly and waited for the others to return. One of our friends took a family picture and I am so greatful for that. In fact, others have taken pictures of her over the last few weeks and we are so looking forward to seeing them.

The real change came yesterday. We knew the time was near. Our day was spent loving her to pieces and giving her extra treats and hugs and kisses. She woke me at about 4:15 this morning and when I asked her if she had to go out, she gave a very subdued version of her little dance and "roo" that she always did. When she came in, she struggled with how to get up the three steps into the kitchen. I was afraid to try and pick her up for fear of hurting her leg, but she tried to jump; she fell and hurt herself badly. She never made a sound, but ran as best she could, into her crate. By the time I could get to her, she was crying softly. Even though we had made the decision to call the vet this morning, I knew then that I just couldn't change my mind no matter how much I wanted to.

She slipped away this morning just after 9:30, in the arms of her mom and dad. I just pray that we made her feel safe and secure in her last few minutes. I am so greatful that we were able to be there and hold her and stay with her as long as we wanted. Our hearts are broken. This is incredibly painful, and while we had hoped for many years with her, we are greatful for every second that we have had. I am so glad that she came into our lives.

Please pray for her sister, Scarlett. When we arrived home, she rushed to us to say hello for a brief second and then ran on to the back door to greet her sister. Her ears perked up and she turned to us with a confused look on her face. Scarlett got to pick out her new sister two months after she had came home to live with us. She is a sweet, happy girl, but we felt something wasn't right with her. After numerous trips to the vet to find out what was wrong, the vet finally said that she was physically fine, but felt she was pining for the company of other greys. That is when we took her to pick out a sibling and Zelda came into our lives. If any of you didn't see Zelda's picture, it was kindly posted by Bevd, in my post in Health and Medical, under "Our Girl Is Sick".

Thank you for reading about our baby, and once again, please accept my/our sincere thanks for all your words of kindness and support.

Her pawprints will be on our hearts, forever.

Lois, Moe, Scarlett & Victoria and Isabelle (two of our granddaughters that have been living with us since Zelda came home. She loved them both very much)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lois.. I am just bawling here at work.

You gave her such a good life! You did so much for her.

I am so sad she had to be taken away at such a young age.

I knew in my heart on Saturday after you left the walk that that was it. I could just sense it, but I remained in denial and hopeful that we could make it to just one more.

Zelly.. we miss you already. I hope that you will protect your mom and dad and Scarlett always with hopes you'll be a guiding light and show them that you are happy.

I'm going to send you a cyberhug, Lois.. but I owe you a real one when the next time we meet.

:weep

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Your Zelda sounds like a very special girl. How wonderful for her that you were there to care and love her. Godspeed sweet Zelda. Run pain free now. Hugs to you and your family. :grouphug:f_red

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jettcricket

...awww....I'm so sorry to see this post. I know how painful it is....God I wish they could find a cure for this horrible disease. It takes too many of our precious hounds. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :f_pink

I am so sorry. A heartbreaking story. Run free Zelda.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

I'm so sorry to hear abour your gorgeous baby Zelda :cry1

You know she'll be in good company up at The Bridge, whilst she waits for you to meet her again ;)

:f_red:grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'm so very sorry for your family--what a heartbreaking loss.

Clearly, Zelda knew how much she was loved and she blossomed in your safe, loving home. Thank you for sharing her touching story.

:grouphug:f_red

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I'm so very, very sorry. :grouphugf_yellow:grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest OnecoRose

You have written such a beautiful tribute, and my heart goes out to you and your family. I know how you feel, I lost my lst girl to OC at 12 after having her 8 years. She will be pain free now, and with her other friends at the bridge. Again, I am so sorry. :f_red

I'm so sorry for your loss :sad1

:grouphug

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest guinness_the_greyt

I'm tearing up... I'm so glad you were able to be with her when she crossed. What a wonderful retirement you gave her. :grouphug

Run Free Zelda! Godspeed beautiful girl!!

Your lovely tribute to Zelda had me crying within moments. :cry1 What a very special girl she was... and such a blessing in your lives. She's pain-free and whole again at the Bridge, joining our beloved angels. Godspeed, sweet Zelda... :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.