Ranger (vjg Howler) - Our Mr Moosh

Guest RSD_Ranger

Guest RSD_Ranger

For those of you who joined Ranger's journey with osteosarcoma and rear leg amputation with us, you know how much we loved our boy. I documented his path (Ranger's Journey) with the highest of intentions to have Ranger reach a 4-year post-amp survival story. We were going to break all the records and give hope to every new osteo houndie :colgate

Ranger was a champ throughout all of this. Diagnosed on 12/17/08, Ranger underwent a right rear amputation after the femur fractured while doing the osteo biopsy that same day. I won't go into all the details, as I spilled my guts in Ranger's Journey. That boy was amazing. He went through all of this and never complained. He taught me so much in the past 6 weeks or so about not complaining and just accepting the life you are given. I owe a lot of my new outlook on life to him.

It has taken us a few days to be able to move over here to Remembrance, because I was filled with such hope while posting in Health & Medical. Ranger contracted something like aspirated pneumonia last Friday and went downhill very fast. After exhausting all non-invasive and/or painful options, we helped him to the bridge. At the end, osteo did not win.

We are slowly putting our lives back together, but it is a process that does not like haste. Every day is a challenge in itself to move forward and try to focus on the good memories. I keep telling myself over and over that the Ranger I want back (in all my selfishness) is not the one who left us last Friday. That houndie was in pain and needed our help to remove that pain.

I mourn: my happy baby who raced around the house with his pink and green stuffed purse (Percy! Percy! Percy!); my sweet boy who put his head in my lap for earsies; my rock who barked big and strong and scared away any burglers (we don't have to tell them that he would have happily shown them where the valuables were for a quick petting); my wind rider who made all the other pups at the dog park look "slow and awkward;" my gentle giant who turned many (many, many, many) non-dog people into dog people; my Mr Moosh, who brought unconditional love.

I will find you someday, as you stole a part of my heart and it will never be the same again.

Mr Moosh, Mr Moosh, will you do the fandango? I love you honey. Run like the wind.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug to you Kristen. I am so sorry for your loss. I pray the peace that Stepper left me with will come to you knowing you did right by Ranger.

Run with the angels sweet Ranger, you are with some of the very best ~

Oh no. I followed his journey with such hope for you both. I'm so so so sorry for the loss. I know how your heart hurts and I wish it didn't.

:grouphug

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 What a sad loss.

Godspeed Ranger.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I followed Rangers journey and was amazed and enthralled at how you coped with everything with such a fabulous outlook and with such humour, even when you felt anything other than humourous. Ranger was a real trouper and it felt great to cheer each of his successes (of which there were many). I was very very saddened to read of his passing.

Rest well sweet Ranger :beatheart

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Kristen, I too followed Ranger's journey, and quite a journey it was.And I just know that the journey you were both on and the way you documented it, will in fact help others.

Ranger was special, he had a job to do and took it on with bravery and pride, as did you. Until you meet again, he remains in your heart and will never leave you.

Ranger, God speed handsome boy, run now in the company of the Angels and continue to watch over your mom and dad.

God speed

:gh_run

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greydogluvr

Sweet, sweet Ranger. I am so sorry. My heart is aching for you and your family. I have followed Ranger's story and the love you have for him leaps from the pages. :grouphug

rest well, ranger.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest RSD_Ranger

Thank you all for your kind words. I thought I would be able to change my sig, but I can't. It's just too soon.

I wonder how long it will take for me to remove his secret box of treats that I kept by my purse (so I could sneak him one before I left). And how long the tennis balls in the backyard will stay.

We've already decided that the aluminum greyhound in our ficus and the Keep the Gate Closed... sign on the gate will stay. We had to take his beds and toys down to the basement because they made us cry. Someday I will be able to look at all of his stuff and all of the pictures we have.

Oh how my heart just hurts.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy.

Godspeed, Handsome Ranger.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I am so sorry. :(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I followed your other thread and prayed along with you. It was uplifting to see how you and Ranger handled every situation that came your way. I am in awe. I am also so very sorry; life isn't fair. May you find peace.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow