• once/month or less
    • 2-3x/month
    • once/week
    • a couple times/week
    • about every other day
    • about once/day
    • about twice/day
    • more than twice/day
    • multiple dogs have VERY different barking habits (if close then average them and chose an answer above).

Multiple dogs have different barking habits.

Tibbie: barks a lot.. talking people on the street, birds in the backyard..

Gunda: not much.. Only when we say 'go for a walk?' or 'cookie' :lol

Spriet: not much.. Only when we say 'go for a walk?' or if she's playing with Gunda. She also barks sometimes to other dogs in the neighborhood, when we go for a walk. I've also teached her to bark when I say she must bark :lol

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jupiterooos

I have two - one barks routinely and the other not at all. Jupiter is all BARK BARK BARK from the time we get up ("Oh boy! Breakfast!") to when we get home ("Oh boy! You're back!") to random times throughout the day ("Oh boy! Socks!"). I've been trying to get him to knock it off in the AM, because we live in a condo and he is LOUD, but have been largely unsuccessful.

Guest GeneJockey

Until last week, only twice in her entire two months with us.

This week, a couple times a DAY! She's REALLY come out of her shell!

I heard Rusty bark for the first time in months the other night. I have never heard Solo bark in the four years we have had him.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Josey used to never bark, and she still won't bark at someone knocking at the door, but I did teach her to "speak" for treats. It took me all of about 10 minutes, she's such a smart girl. Lucky me. Now she "speaks" whenever she wants something. Her favorite things to demand include people snacks, toys, and playtime. She has started this "play with me" demand where she brings me a toy and starts barking at me 10 minutes before I leave for work, which is adorable and of course I can't resist. Luckily my boss is very understanding! :P

edited for spelling

Edited by LoveMyJoseyBean

Guest isntitgreyt

Foxy and Molly have barked 1-2 times since I've had them. My foster Leo, he does it at least 3 times a day!! He's also a whiner in his crate.

Guest ChasesMum

All. The. Time.

She apparently also was not on the memo list! We thought it would be fun to teach her she had a voice, and from then on she likes to make her point known. We then taught her volume control... she has a "say please" (very quiet) a "soft speak" (a little louder) and a "loud speak" (regular bark volume).

George was pretty silent tho.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest luvmygrey

When we first got our Diamond we didn't here a bark out of her for at least 2 months,we were wondering if she even could bark, now she come to us each night after supper and barks to let us know it's walk time

Guest RedBrindleBoy

The very rare times that Roo barks, I know that the neighborhood stray cat is around. He ONLY barks at that cat, and only when he is outside. No roo's from Roo, either. :P

Guest indigojen
All. The. Time.

She apparently also was not on the memo list! We thought it would be fun to teach her she had a voice, and from then on she likes to make her point known. We then taught her volume control... she has a "say please" (very quiet) a "soft speak" (a little louder) and a "loud speak" (regular bark volume).

George was pretty silent tho.

I was going to say there was no answer for All. The. Time. Man, apparently no one told my two that they are greyhounds and they aren't supposed to bark. However, I'd love for you to come to our house and teach ours volume control :lol We could use it!

Dune barked maybe once a month or less, to let me know I was late in starting our afternoon walk.

Unless you count dream barking; that's every day, every night. Same with growling (only time he's ever growled is asleep!).

But once when he was young I took him to a lure course fun match, and the minute he spied the grocery-bag lure, he went nuts with barking and lunging. I had to get him out of eyesight to calm him down. Funny, he wasn't particularly high prey drive and lived happily with cats for years -- but that grocery bag was asking for it!

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Guest jocksmom

Jock only barks a couple of times a week. Occasionally, woofing to let me know someone's at the door. However, he usually barks only when I am being an unruly Mom. If he tries to wake me up, or if he wants something while I'm working, and a couple of his more subtle attempts fail.

He starts with just standing and looking at me --- apparently telepathing his needs (sometimes I can guess, but not when I'm asleep, or busy. If I don't respond to telepathy, he sighs disgustedly, then moves to touching gently, then poking with his nose, escalating to a whine, and finally a series of loud barks. If one series of barks doesn't work, he repeats as needed. I've never been able to hold out longer than three series of barks, but I have a feeling he would be willing to continue for a long time.

The funny part (although it's not so funny at 3am) is that he seems to really enjoy barking --- once he can bring himself to do it. While barking, he does a series of play bows, wags his tail, and looks really happy. He looks especially happy when I respond. Like he's thinking, "These humans are so hard to train, but they are cute!

When he first came to us, six years ago, he never barked or verbalized at all. (Now he does a lot of little throat sounds and sometimes he whines.) He seemed to look at the non-greyhound neighbor dogs disgustedly when they barked. It was when we discovered that a family on our block had greys, and got to know them, that Jock learned to bark. At first he seemed shocked at seeing his three friends bark, then he looked puzzled ("You mean it's ok to do that?") and then he seemed happy ("Dudes, way cool!)

He was so quiet and shy at first that I encouraged him to bark. Sometimes --- like at 3am --- I wonder why I did that.

I've had some who, even after years, never barked. My present gal was a broodie, and barking is one of the ways momma dogs communicate with the pups. So, she barks when she goes into the "momma" mode, which is rather frequent after I brought her son from the last litter home. He didn't bark much at first, but he appears to be learning from his "fur-momma". He now does a daily bark-roo every evening around 8:00. It truly does seem to be a learned behavior though.

Looking at the postings and based on personal experience, once these guys learn to bark, they find they have a lot to say.

Edited by Sassy

Guest MrStinger

I voted more than twice a day. Because , My guy Stinger like to bark at other dogs when he see them coming. Plus he will bark to let me know he has to out to poop. As for pee he has a sharp whimper.

• 2 weeks later...

One of mine barks to get his way - very determined and relentless and he's only gotten worse as he's gotten older. My other one never barks - he just sits and waits for the rewards of the other one's work!

If I had answered this poll 4 months ago it would have been once per month or less. Jazz barked several times per year. In her advanced years she probably only barked 2-3 times per year. The last bark of hers I recall hearing happened in the middle of the night while we were all sleeping. Now we have a vocal greyhound! Popo barks daily. He barks when he gets excited and for attention. :rolleyes: We put a stop to the 6:30 AM barking while we got ready for work by shutting the door on him. His barks range from a big ARF to a very girly sounding YIP!

• 3 months later...
Guest missecho

I'm not sure how to set up a poll on the subject, but I would be interested in finding out how often the grey's ROO. Our Molly roos whenever she is happy or excited, when she sees us upon our return home, and other times during the day. Sometimes she barks when she wants to tell us she is hungry--and why don't we fix dinner? Or, in the case of this morning at 5:30 am, breakfast.

Guest wjamg

In 14 months, Peace has only barked once, several times while chasing a small dog that was running outside the perimeter of the fence..I thought she found her bark that night but she hasn't made a sound since!