• once/month or less
    • 2-3x/month
    • once/week
    • a couple times/week
    • about every other day
    • about once/day
    • about twice/day
    • more than twice/day
    • multiple dogs have VERY different barking habits (if close then average them and chose an answer above).

Guest ThunderPaws

Diesel is looking out the window barking as I type!

I raised him from a puppy and actually taught him to bark (command "speak") for a treat.

-- What was I thinking?? :blink::lol

Edited by ThunderPaws

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted multiple/different. But mine bark when one wants to run and the other doesn't....they bark until the other one runs with him or begs to get into the house. Diplomat barked once at a deer....until he realized the deer was bigger...than he ran and hid behind Emissary. :)

Edited by Redpack

Nagano had never bark, Fini the Galga doesn`t ever bark the 3 years she is here now.

In the house none of them is barking, neither the doorbell ring nor other noises are in or outside.

Lilifee just barks when she is finding a hedgehog in the park. She is standing than maybe 3-4 m bevor the hedgehog and is barking till I come.

The only time Grey and Galga are barking is when they find in the park a dog to play and run with. Than they bark a short time, what means : come on lets make a coursing across the park.

• 2 months later...
Guest EmilyAnne

I didnt vote cause my Henry is not pure greyhound. he has some coonhound and he definately has the bark of a coonhound! :wow The only reason he ever barks is cause he wants food, and that is a side effect of a new med he has not adapted to yet. He lets out an occasional bark when playing too. I think his bark is the coolest sounding bark ever. :D Of course I am partially deaf, and my husband who has full hearing does not agree! :lol:

On average he lets out about 30 barks a day. I dont fault him for it though cause I know it is because of his med. He is an extremely well behaved dog, very easy to have around and extremely sweet.

Guest Harleys_girl06

Harley whines, if we dont answer the door he barks twice at the most and he barks once and then whimpers if he's uncomfortable or hurt, like if he gets tangled in his leash by accident.

Guest MerlinsDad

Depends on when we're ordering pizza...

For some reason he acts more like Lassie than Speed Racer. He even does the "Lassie whine" when he wants something. I always get the inclination to see if Timmy fell down the well at times like that... :colgate

Rossi is not a real barker. He will go through a funny antic of prancing, bouncing & "doing the Grr & some barking" with his tail wagging a mile a minitue when it is time for his nightly "walk." His internal clock is better than ours, 7pm. Other than that he does not bark. We have a long term tenant on the second floor. Rossi will go to the door, tail wagging even though the "person" is not comming into our house. No barking. He does go crazy for the pizza guy or the Wings over ... guy jumps & "does a funny squeel. No barking (course he knows that he will be getting some treat from these meals.) again no barking. If a total stranger comes to Robin's door Rossi will run to the door & bark. She leashes him before opening the door & keeps him on a "short leash". Very comforting for us both when I am not there. Who is going to cause a problem with a large barking dog in their face, course once Rossi has been told that it is ok ... mush, here take anything that you want.... such a baby. Rossi "guards" the house & Robin, not like other breeds, or I should say just like other breeds, just in a suttle manor, but evective.

So, last week at about 2am Rossi, sleeping next to Robin on his bed on the floor went ballistic !!!!

Barking, running front to rear in the house. Robin turned on the outside lights & let Rossi out. He immediately ran & bounced of the fence/gate blocking him from the outside world & our cars. He was out of control, barking & pouncing at the gate (locked & web strap in place just in case). Robin finally got him in & back to sleep. The next morning Robin went to her car & found out that it had been ransacked! Nothing stolen, but it was a mess. Scared away by Rossi?

He is a sight hound. He does have so many "smell or feeling" instincts that my Lab has.

Good Rossi, protector of Robin & hits cats.

Sorry a little long winded ....

Tom

Guest oakmoorehill

Button doesn't really bark much at all but William was diagnosed as having acute seperartion anxiety not log after we had him and barked all the time He is now a lot better although he still barks its only a couple of times a day now ad usually if he needs to go out for a wee .At one time he was called the 4 legged alarm clock because he barked at the same time very morning about 4am

Guest Cheyenne

The last time our Greyhound Club got together we were standing around outside. I should say the people were standing, the greys were lying down. Someone came walking down the street with a large dog on a leash. My Takoda started barking (as he always does at a leashed dog). The other greys looked at him wondering what planet he was on. The other grey moms and dads looked at me in absolute shock!! :eek Not one other dog made a sound, but there was Takoda barking his head off until that leashed dog and owner disappeared.!! It's a behavior I'd really like to change if anyone has any suggestions. :blush

Guest sassichari

My first grey Nala NEVER barked. Didn't even know greys could bark-she only growled a few times warning people on the street to stay away from me.

Max didn't bark until we added Franny to the family. Now there is all sorts of play barking between the two of them. They don't bark at anything else. Last night though for the first time ever they woke me up in the middle of the night barking at the back sliding glass door. Scared the cr@p out of me! DH is out of town and I knew for sure the boogey man was out there waiting to get me. Still don't know what they heard to wake them up at 12:30am.

Edited by sassichari

• 10 months later...
Guest the36thchamber

Lego is silent boy, you'll get a bark every once in awhile, a little howling when we pull up in the driveway.... the most common sound you'll get out of him is a sigh when he lays down.

Guest Morgaynn

Nike Barks when she wants to go out, She barks when DH and I are both Gone (and whines for about an hour after we leave) She barks when she wants to play.... Nike love her voice :)

Guest Dillymom

Lola is trained that she has to sit and bark to get fed. So twice a day she barks but it's on command only. Otherwise she maybe barks once every couple of months

Guest Javagirl

Ladd has an agenda and he needs everyone to know about it. He roos constantly to get attention and/or barks at the dog parks.

Luckily 99% of the time this occurs outside during walks and playdates. This doesn't mean that he isn't vocal inside the house because I get my 6:30 am wake up whine every day, but he at least knows his 'inside voice' manners.

Kristyn and Ladd