• once/month or less
    • 2-3x/month
    • once/week
    • a couple times/week
    • about every other day
    • about once/day
    • about twice/day
    • more than twice/day
    • multiple dogs have VERY different barking habits (if close then average them and chose an answer above).

Cody never did get that memo about greyhounds not barking!! She barked when she wanted something, and she'd bark at the vet's if she had to be in a crate/kennel there for any amount of time!! (I think she knew they'd let her out if she was loud enough...)

(And she never ever rooed)

Edited by ozgirl2

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kineticpoet

Draco rarely barks, and the rare time he does he's piggybacking on one of the dachshund's bark sessions (which happen frequently).

Guest nanzi

Khan will bark for treats, to go out, and come in, and if he thinks he wants to eat early, and if he hears something at night - and that is a different deep I mean business bark. And he and I bark at each other sometimes just for the fun of it, and then he runs and gets his 6 year old undamaged Bunny stuffie and throws it up in the air and catches it and kind of nibbles on it. He is so cute. I just love this dog, never had a heart dog before, he is so loving.

Nan

Guest Stretchy

Stretchy began barking on his own. He barks when he hears a strange noise or to alert us that someone is at the door. He also barks when he wants attention. When we adopted Isis, she started mimicking Stretchy's behavior.

The first time I heard her bark was one afternoon a few months ago when I let both dogs out into the yard. There were maintenance workers fixing a telephone pole and Stretchy ran and barked at the strange humans up high. Isis barked, but it sounded more like a bark with a question mark at the end. I looked at her and she was looking down at the ground with a puzzled expression on her face like "where did that strange noise come from"?? :dunno

The maintenance workers and I laughed because she scared herself more than anyone!! :blush So much for being a guard dog. :rolleyes:

Isis now lets Stretchy be the primary guard dog. She joins in every now and then, but she mainly barks to let us know that we're ignoring her and/or that she wants food.

Guest greytexplorer

Mine start a chorus of barks/roos every time the garage door opens.

Choirmember DickCheney also contributes his version of roo, chihuahua style. Very funneh.

(one day I will capture this and post it on youtube, it's THAT funneh!)

Guest romeosrents

Romeo has only barked 4-5 times since we got him last July....the most recent time was when he barked at me one morning while I was still in bed. I guess he thought it was time for me to get up.

• 2 weeks later...

emily, a retired racer NEVER barks. felix, who left the track at 8 days is a different story. he was taught by my late welsh terrier...need i say more? if anyone saw the cbs video w/ knuckles, that is what he sounds like, just more and louder...he is 2 years old.he is a real talker and barks at anyone one who comes near the house or down our block who doesn't live here.

Guest mollieandme

Maggie barks a lot. Mollie barked once in recent memory: she heard a lion roaring on tv and went crazy!

Guest TilliesMom
emily, a retired racer NEVER barks. felix, who left the track at 8 days is a different story. he was taught by my late welsh terrier...need i say more? if anyone saw the cbs video w/ knuckles, that is what he sounds like, just more and louder...he is 2 years old.he is a real talker and barks at anyone one who comes near the house or down our block who doesn't live here.

Knuckles was being on the quiet side that day! Seriously, he "talks" all the time....which does include barking. Ask Corbysmom....I called her one night and just held out the phone so she could hear Knuckles talking a blue streak. She is my witness!!

All my greys are barkers. I think it was our black lab, Tessie, that taught them all the delights of a good bark fest.

• 3 weeks later...

4 greys, one squirrel = lots of barking!! :rolleyes:

Jamey, Marco, Diego and Tosca- yes, we're guilty!

Heidi the Lab- I'm just barking to quiet down those Greyhounds :lol:

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest TurnerMiller01

Turner only ever barked in the middle of the night ...

When the neighbor pulled in to his driveway across the street...

apparently Turner did not like the sound of his engine.

...............I miss Turner..

:(

Guest mtnbluebird

Folsom barks at strange (non greyhound) dogs, and he'll bark at Strat if he steps on him in the car or if he's grumpy.

Strat barks to be let out of the crate when I come home from work, and he's starting to bark when he hears my alarm go off. He starts with a whine that quickly escalates if I don't get out of bed. If I talk baby to him while he's whining sometimes he'll get it up into a bark. Ocassionally before dinnertime... basically whenever he's excited to go out or eat :-P

Guest greybeach
If multiple dogs' barking habits are similar, then please average them and choose one answer. If they're very different, choose the last option.

Gordon: twice/week, only when REALLY excited for a walk.

Gracie: twice/day! at other dogs, paperboy, nothing, etc. part of her spunk!

Bart has a whole range of barks: there's one for the cat that taunts him outside of the fence, one when he has to go to the bathroom, the "play with me bark," the bark if his food dish is empty. He also stomps his paw when he barks sometimes if he feels he's being ignored. One night I came home late and touched the doorknob...he didn't know who it was and gave a ferocious guard dog bark.

Athena doesn't bark as much, but she certainly learned from Bart. When we first got her, Bart would bark when Athena had to go outside. We'd let her out and he would just go back to bed. She started to bark when she was playing with my boyfriend, Mike, and he thought it was so cute and funny because it was the strangest sound...this squeeky little ar-ruff. So he kept encouraging it and now she has a nice, strong bark. She still doesn't bark as much as bark, but now if he starts to bark at me to play, she joins him.

Guest ross_and_emma

A single bark maybe 3 times a month when she gets really excited. One time she barked ~4 times at a dog walking by the yard, that was very strange.

Guest Tuxsmom

Penny barks when then doorbell rings, when someone knocks at the door, or when she thinks I am ignoring her and she wants me to watch her while she plays with her stuffies. (she's worse than a little kid about that "watch me, mom! watch me, mom!")

Guest missecho

How about "how often does your grey "Roo"?

Molly roos every time we come home from being away--or when she is super hungry!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kmyers64

Finn was having SA when I would leave in the morning. His whimpers would turn into very loud cries and then to barks. My husband, who works from home most days would end up having to get up. I think we've fixed that problem by finally teaching him to climb stairs so he could sleep in our room.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flysmom

Fly barely barked...

Cisco, however, barks whenver he wants something - like when he wants me to get up in the morning - he stands in front of my face and barks at me or when he wants food - around 16:45 he gets antsy and when I ask him what's up he barks... :rolleyes:

Guest TBSFlame

Well, untill Riley came I would have to say mine don't really bark much. :) Riley just likes the sound of her own voice. It's really more of a high pitched puppy yap. She yaps about everything. And now with the addition of Jeremy, my house has gone to the dogs. :) Jeremy is a talker, at least he has a deep voice even if it is loud. :)

Monty is one of the barkingest greyhounds I think there are. He barks when we get home, when he's going to be fed, when he's excited to go outside, when he sees someone he knows (usually a woof then a roo), when he wants to play... I'd say all in all probably about 50 times a day, usually. (He is polite about it though, when he barks he turns his head *away* from the person who has his attention and barks over his shoulder. Sometimes at a nother person close at hand - who is then deafened.)

Oh, and I don't know that Monty knows he's a greyhound. Chasing stuff does not interest him. Rooing is fun, but so is the barking. And he likes every dog/pet/animal he's ever met. To the point of getting in their face and being told "get off!" and he still doesn't seem to understand.

Edited by Fruitycake