• once/month or less
    • 2-3x/month
    • once/week
    • a couple times/week
    • about every other day
    • about once/day
    • about twice/day
    • more than twice/day
    • multiple dogs have VERY different barking habits (if close then average them and chose an answer above).

Guest Stircrazy

Jewel only barks if I'm at home before 5:30 or so in the evening. I think it's her way of demanding an early dinner (regular feeding time is 6:00).

Edited by Stircrazy

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest princessmommy

Neither Princess nor Dutchess bark very often at all. About the only time is when the doorbell rings (almost never) or occasionally when the buzzer for the dryer goes off. Whining is an entirely separate issue -- Princess is my whiner for sure. Dutchess is very quiet and will occasionally whine ever so softly.

• 1 month later...

My oldest Shepard mix barks a lot! She is old and a little senile... My other Shepard mix used to bark constantly to the point police were called on me. Now she NEVER barks. Apparently she got it out of her system. My Grey, every morning, every evening and if we are within ear shot of her outside. She is a talker! To her defense, most of the time my Shepard starts it, she joins in. Mornings and evenings are just to get our attention I think.

The Girls

Guest GreyhoundsRock

Lucy barks, really high pitch and desperate to wake me up at 5:30 in the morning. Not because she has to go to the potty just must be a morning pupper.

Guest Tiffany

Mine are barkers! Lilly is a very bossy barker. She barks during play. Leroy is more of a howler/rooer, but he does bark.

Linus barks when he gets excited, usually several times a day, and barks when he wants the other dogs to settle down.

Casey (at the bridge) was a big time barker! He barked excessively during play!

Had one foster who we named Barker! He was a spook and I had no clue as he was my first foster that way and we had picked up 3 males from the track. I turned them loose in the yard when we got home to do intros. We didn't catch Barker again till the next day and that was only out of shear exhaustion. He had barked nonstop for almost 24 hours!

His racing name was Barkeeperjim so it did fit! Adopter changed it to Keeper then when he bounced, I fostered him again and we kept it Keeper! I still called him Barker, but after fostering him almost a year the first go round, it was hard not too!

Guest muppet

well my non-barking greyhound sure loves to bark! he barks at me when he thinks he should be fed. he will go out to the backyard and bark at nothing. but when there is a person coming to the front door or something strange, he's quite as a mouse!

Guest leena

Leena never barked until I brought her to doggie day care. The she barked once while playing with me and it scared me to death! I never heard her make that noise! She rarely does it now, like once every two weeks, though the daycare people tell me they have heard it more often.

Guest Theoisle

None of our five greys just bark for no reason. Stephanie only barks at the others when they run and play.

Glow, Tommy and Bliss just don't bark. Bullet barks when I come home because he is excited.

Glow snorts like a pig when I let her out at night. If I snort she will start up and keep it going.

It is hilarious. :lol Anyone else have a snorter? :)

Guest zeds_dead

when my grey barks, it scares the crap outta me cuz she hardly ever barks. she killed a bird a few weeks ago and i didn't even hear a peep, i just went outside and saw feathers all over my porch. the italian grey barks a little more but not much. they are very quiet

• 4 months later...
Guest WI_grey_mom

Wisth us, Bo has only barked in his sleep! :huh The first week, every other night he would wake us up with one or 2 barks. Both me and DH out of bed and the light on in a heartbeat. :eek Only to find Bo snoozing peacefully in his bed. He hasn't barked once while awake, and hasn't barked in his sleep for about 3 weeks.

Guest SurlyJen

I voted once a week...but it's intermittant at best.

Aley barks if someone comes to my apartment door or knocks. My Ex-BF used to kind of barge in the apartment and Aley would startle and bark bark bark! look at him funny, go up to him and sniff and then go lay down.

The other day he barked at the noises of someone walking by in the hallway, which is very unusual for him.

Every once in a while, he'll bark out the window.

Guest greycious_gal

Brin barks to come in. She barks at the evil squirrels. She barks when we say, "You wanna go out?" She barks when the sheltie barks as we're coming home (sheltie hears us first). Oh, and if she doesn't know who is in the house, she sounds like a Dobe! :lol

Our Monty-boy rarely did. He only barked when he had something to say. It was either "OUT" or it was important in some way.

I'll let you know what Wink is all about at some point.

Chase will only bark if he hears someone knocking. It doesn't matter if someone is at the door or if we are watching a movie and someone on the movie knocks. He just gets so worked up about visitors!

Rosie will bark whenever she gets excited- treats, playtime, when we come home, etc. Luckily it doesn't last long and we have taught her "shhh" for quiet bark. She will come up and do her quiet bark if she decides it's time for a treat. She does her louder barking outside and mostly at Chase- it's like she's saying "They're home! They're home!" or "Come chase me! Let's play!"

Guest GreyFox

I didn't vote because we've only had Doodles for 2 weeks, so it's a bit early to speak generally. Since we got her she has barked once - DH had her out back, he was standing on the deck and she was in the yard, a little ways back from the steps to the deck. A neighbor started hammering and startled Doodles ... she gave a bark and ran up to the deck, clearing the 5 steps in a single leap and landing at DH's feet! He was astounded! I was at work, unfortunately, so I missed it. Greyhound or gazelle??!

Ruth

Guest SaintRaven

Zorro I have heard bark 2 times in the month since he came here, he also once 'roared' but he has never rooed.

Raven barks a LOT ... ear blasting series of barks every day. She is by FAR the barkiest dog I have ever owned of any breed.

Edited by SaintRaven

Guest jcsnyder95

Mia only barks when she's playing with non-greyhounds. She especially likes the Golden Retriever who belongs to my sister's neighbor... and barks enthusiastically to show her approval.

Miles used to NEVER bark outside. Our neighbors complimented on how quiet he was.

Now... after almost 4 years, he looks through the holes in the fence and barks at the neighbors cats and at possums on the fence.

ANNOYING!!! :angryfire

Guest WI_grey_mom

We just chipped this weekend, and the new little girl is a barker! And not a little dainty bark like she is, but a deep loud bark. At a squirrel down the block, at a funny noise at night. Anything! :blink:

Bo still doesn't normally bark, but at the Gala in Wi this weekend I gave him a chance to clock his speed, and he was barking like a madman on the sidelines. The squeaker on the other side must have twinged a deep down running need, and he couldn't wait to get out there, and let EVERYONE know how excited he was. (25 mph with the brakes on, they cou;dn't clock him full speed)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Finallyagrey

My Lexie has barked once in the 9 months we have had her. It was at my daughters Lab who was trying to hump her. Other than that she has NEVER barked. She yips in her sleep but never barks even if dogs bark at her. This is nice since we live in a townhouse. It was wild getting use to it though. :)

June

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Well I maked a couple times a week because he really only barks when my "cooking" smells very good that night (he likes his dinner) but he roooos everytime I come home from work which i think is just all to cute!

Guest destinysmom

I actually have NEVER heard my grey bark since we got her in June!

She loves to roo and whine though, mostly when I get home from work and she can't wait for me to get in the door, she hears my car a mile away I swear!

Edited by destinysmom

Gatsby (my GH) barks at anything and everything that goes past our house -- he seems especially fond of the UPS trucks! Of course, this then sends Gordy (my GR mix) into a barking frenzy as well. Gatsby also barks when he wants to go out, when he wants to come in, when he's being ignored -- I guess he's just very articulate!