• once/month or less
    • 2-3x/month
    • once/week
    • a couple times/week
    • about every other day
    • about once/day
    • about twice/day
    • more than twice/day
    • multiple dogs have VERY different barking habits (if close then average them and chose an answer above).

Sam is, maybe, once or twice a week: mostly if I'm not paying attention when he wants to go out or wants to play.

Jacey is an everyday, get-me-out-of-this-crate barker when I get home from work. Jacey is also a get-out-of-my-sight barker when she spots other dogs outside. Oddly enough, Jacey doesn't bark when little dogs yap at her; she only barks at them if they ignore her.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Happytails

Walli will only bark at the dogs next door when they race the fence whish is usually them barking at her and at the door bell which is most amusing as some of the door to door salesmen think we have a big vicious dog! :rofl

The most Walli is going to do is run up to you, lean and demand to be petted!

DW works from home as a registered massage therapist so her client come to the door but they rarely use to door bell as DH greets them at the door. Although Walli has barked at one or two of them for no apparent reason.

Apart from that no other barking, but that doesn't mean she is quiet! She is a very vocal girl!

• 1 month later...
Guest Ashley

Sadie barks a few times a day, sometimes when she is really excited for food, and others when we get home and she is happy to see us. And she growls/grumbles in the morning when she is pleased :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest scfilby

Mickey barks when she wants to go outside, when she wants to come in, when she plays with stuffies or the beagle.

Cy barks whenever he wants to go outside, when he sees someone on the street through the windows, hears a car door slam, or when someone comes to the door. He has two different barks, a deep growl/scary dog bark for people on the street, coming to the house, or car doors, and a high yippy type bark for go outside..

We have never heard the beagle bark, but he "talks" in rooing/whines.

Someone needs to tell our hounds that greys don't bark.. They don't believe us.. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Two (one of the Greys and my Whippet) I have never heard bark at anything, ever.

Two of my Greys bark in play

One barks occasionally at the cats or in her crate, but no other time really

None bark a lot- maybe a couple times a week.

Guest greytbookert

Eric doesn't really bark, he mostly whines or howls. Adam, on the other hand, barks (a true bark) quite often. He barks so ferociously at the wind, it is almost a little bit scary. He really, really doesn't like the effects of the wind with the trees knocking together.

Guest lucygoosey

Goosey roos all the time! Especially when we are putting on our coats and boots to walk her. Nadia will bark sometimes when she is excited, but if she is out of food or water or needs to go potty she will let you know and not stop until she has what she wants! I don't know how I got two loud greys! LOL

Mine usually only gets going when we're visiting people who have dogs that bark. And even then still won't join in until they've been at if for a little bit. At home she only barks on occasion if we take to long to get to the door to let her back in.

She does like to "sing" though. And sometimes she'll come into the living room and just stand there looking at us and whining until we start singing with her and then she wags her tail like crazy, sings a bunch, and then goes back to bed lol

Guest KathyL

Butterfly is not vocal at all. Since we have my daughter's two poodles with us now Butterfly barks more than she has in the four years we've had her, but it's only if she really, really thinks they're barking at something that's necessary for her to bark at too. Otherwise, she just wags her tail and bounces.

Guest LineDancerDana

The only time Miss Amelia barks is in her sleep occasionally. I guess she dreams about chasing something, but otherwise, she's pretty darn quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

Bloomer has only barked once since adopting her. it was such a shock. it was all over a strange cat walking past our yard.

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.

Guest GreyFan09

It seems that Comet has started barking a little more over the past month or so, but still not much. His latest thing is barking at the snow plow of all things when it went by the house this winter. Oh ya, and at his reflection in the skylights of the ceiling in the sunroom. Crazy!

Davis never barks! The ONLY time I've heard him bark is at the off-leash dog park, after the same dog has tried to hump him too many times! He usually sidles away from the other dog, but if he gets persistent, Davis wil whirl & bark in the other dog's face. Very surprising, as that's the only time I've heard him bark.

Rebecca and Manny

Guest Frankendog

Gee I missed this page altogether, I was wondering about this.

Well we have had Frankie for 4 months and I have only heard him bark a couple of times in his sleep. This is just so odd to me as our last dog (not a grey) was so vocal! I mentioned in another thread that I ran into our mailman a couple of days ago and he had no idea we had gotten another dog! He's never heard or seen him.

I almost wish Frankie would bark sometimes to communicate with us better. The only sound he makes is usually from a laying on the couch but alert position. He yawns and ends the yawn with a wine. It sounds just like a "complaint" to human ears. I'm never exactly sure what it means so I usually end up putting him outside or taking him for a walk. Funny dog!

I wonder if many other greys make this sound instead of a bark?

• 1 month later...
Guest Chefcnam

I've only had Willy for 3 days, but so far I haven't heard her bark at all. Only sound I've heard from her was a little whining when she saw some other dogs during a walk at the park.

I've never heard Alpo or Darlin bark.

Cutie will give a single WOOP to get in the house if I don't see her and to get a treat.

Survey will bark at anything she sees or anything she thinks she should see and when I pull in the driveway.

I've had 7 greys and Survey is the only one I've had who really barks.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest happygrey

If I am walking Tatam and we see other dogs that we don't know he barks up a storm. However, when my husband walks him he never barks at other dogs. :blink: We're starting to lean toward the seemingly ungreyhoundlike idea that Tatam barks to protect me.

It's starting to get a bit on my nerves and I am hoping that the grey-only training class we hope to start later this month will help me to address it.

Guest lasharp1209

Our foster barks (and growls) if he feels on edge. If he senses someone outside the house he will growl and bark. It is not directed at us, and my husband actually likes it. It is a very menacing sound and would deter anyone with less than good intentions! But if something has really made him uneasy we have been known to crate him until he feels better. The lack of carpet in our house really makes for quite a loud bark :blink:

He does not bark on our walks, only in the yard or the house - protecting his territory, I assume. I guess it's somewhat flattering :blush

Edited by lasharp1209

Since I have moved to a place completely different from where I come from (Florida), Bella sees all kinds of new animals and smells all kinds of new smells. When she is outside in the big yard running around, if she sees funny moving things up the mountain, she will bark continuously. In Florida, she never barked.

Guest BostonDan

I have only heard Bella bark twice. Once at a very creepy guy in the neighborhood that I have myself wanted to bark at, and once when she got spooked. Whining? wow, that can be a different story. Though she does not whine much when she is left home alone, for a little bit. I hooked up a webcam on her so I can check on her and see how she is doing, I can hear her, the only whining I tend to hear is her talking to her favorite squeek toy (she squeeks it, then trys to imitate it, something I am always laughing about......except when she does it first thing in the morning to wake me up hehe).

Guest car3fan

Stewie has never barked since we adopted him in November 2009. Emmie, on the other hand, barks all the time (day or night - as long as she is awake). We are trying to teach her to roo as it is easier on the ears. Stewie is the master at rooing. My Junie that passed away in September 2009 barked three times in the 6.5 years that we had him. Twice in the first week and once more a few years later. Junie always looked like he had so much to say, and I would tell him to use his words. Well, Emmie definitely uses her words (and Stewie's too, from the sound of it).