• once/month or less
    • 2-3x/month
    • once/week
    • a couple times/week
    • about every other day
    • about once/day
    • about twice/day
    • more than twice/day
    • multiple dogs have VERY different barking habits (if close then average them and chose an answer above).

We have had Milo since January and he has barked twice. DH hates barking dogs so Milo is perfect for us. The once he was in the hall upstairs and barked. Just the one bark and no reason for it but it scared the dickens out of us!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GreytnTX

Nonnie only barks once in a blue moon...usually when we are walking and a dog on the other side of the fence starts barking and startles us. She NEVER barks unless she is caught off guard.

• 7 months later...
Guest TBSFlame

Tessie, Mem, Star, Beecher all bark at me when they want something. Flame whines. Tessie will sometimes bark at the garbage truck but not always. Mostly they just bark at me. :)

Deniro never barks - well once in a blue moon. He will talk to me when he needs to go out and I am not paying attention or when he wants to go out to run when we volunteer at the kennel.

Bernard only barks at the golfers across the street from out apt or when really excited,

Jilli barks at every dog or cat she sees outside when walking and sometimes at people at night when we are walking.

Maddie barks at me all the time - it is to get my attention as I am not paying attention to her (as if this was true) She also whines

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest simile

My two will bark at each other frequently, at the tv whenever anything animal-like comes on (and then they have to run outside to see if it's there), at things they see outside the yard, and at thunder. They really like to challenge thunder.

Guest greyttech

Dice's sole purpose in life is to go outside and bark. He barks at EVERYTHING, but then again he is part coon hound. Unfortunately, our neighbors do not appreciate his daily commentary, and we had to start using a bark collar (citronella of course!)

Eden: Once in a Blue Moon & only at that dog park

Yvain: A few times a week, usually when he gets excited about his stuffies or wants my roommate to wake up.

Guest Artismo

Once a day...I think it was part of Arty's programming...we go for his morning potty run and when we get back I unhook his leash, he heads for the kitchen, turns around at the door and barks 1-2 times. All this while banging his tail back an forth on the kitchen door opening.

Honey - if she is really excited about going out for a walk or a ride

Kara - not yet, although I only adopted her a bit over a year ago

Nadia - just the occasional loud "yelp" if I fail to let her in in what she considers a timely fashion

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest wolfieskitten

Tiger barks at night (only when a short whine won't wake me) when he needs to go out. Other than that, he has barked when a cheeky neighbor's cat waltzed through our living room and out an open side door :lol and a couple other times when he sees his "friend" Ziggy, an elderly bull mastiff he will bark to let me know that Ziggy and her mom are walking by and he wants a visit.

It's too cute to see him and her nuzzle each other through the gate.

Guest ishapespace

Anna has, well I don't know that she has ever barked. Well, she'll "fuss" at Berry White when he plays too rough and cries when she "gets hurt"... she is a bit of a drama queen....

Berry White, on the other hand... he barks and roos when we get home, well for whoever gets home first. Then, you can talk to him and get him to do it AND he does it sometimes when he plays with Anna. Totally atypical for a grey.... he likes to talk!

Guest adriahna

Desiree LIVES TO BARK, I think. She does it out of a dominant streak, it seems - so she will listen to me when I tell her to knock it off - but not so much with all other folks. I'm working on it.

Guest The_Rooneys

Gracie is really quiet although she may just be finding her voice.

We hear her bark once when we tried to take away a rawhide bone for the first time and that was it for months. This past weekend we had another dog (beagle/boxer cross) over visting and she probably barked a dozen times. Apparently she doesn't like to be humped and wasn't afraid to let the other dog know it

Guest jessicaksu125

After Gigi was here a month the downstairs neighbors were shocked to find out there was a dog living upstairs, she's that quiet!

• 2 months later...

Hector barks far too much for my liking and were trying to get him out of the habit, but is hard to ignore him when we have to consider the neighbours. Its mainly when he wants us, which is all the time so he'll whine then bark and they generally go nuts barking/whinng when we get home and open the front door.

Frop doesn't bark anywhere near as much as Hectorr, he will bark sometimes when playing or when he's been rudely awakened by his bro and yesterday he barked through the fence at one of the neighbours dogs for the first time.

Beau will start to bark when roooing and this boy roos daily several times.

Chloe only barks if she sees a man that she doesn't know on our property or to initiate play.

Teddy will bark at no greyhounds or if he is startled.

Polly has barked to warn the others, but she does roo a lot too, like Beau!

I think what people mean when they say "they don't bark" is that they are not BARKERS. Constant barkers. When other dogs walk down the street, they don;t sit in the window barking at everything that moves down the street, when the door bell rings, they don't bark incessently, etc.

But to say they don't bark... ever??? I guess that may be possible but from experience, all my dogs have barked at one time or another.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest sorenkkg

Almost never for both of them.

Haka barked once at a nasty boxer walking across the street from us a couple years ago-- I don't think I've heard him bark since actually. He did learn to be more vocal with huffs and sniffs and stuff from hanging out with other greys over time, but barking is not his thing... he does do a weird whine when someone is at the door though.

Aleeya also doesn't bark much, she's more of a whiner (like when she sees a small dog to play with or whatever) BUT-- she BARKED at me the other day when we were playing ball!

I was holding her ball in the air and waiting for her to calm down a bit--she likes to snap for the ball--and she BARKED once at me! :o

Oh no my little friend, I don't think so, no pushing mummy around -- so I asked her for her Paw (seemed like the thing to do, competing behavior or something?) and then we resumed play, hasn't happened since...

I'm all for her/them expressing themselves, I just don't like to be bullied :P

Guest jackjack

Wow, looks like your poll is showing that greyhounds do bark afterall!

Jack barks a lot.. mostly to hear the sound of his own voice. Stuey only barks when one of the other dogs touch him. Stuey doesn't like being touched. Dave barks at you when he's excited or he wants something. :)

My guys will only bark if I say the magic words "walk," "play," "treats," or "food." But that's only if I withhold any of the aforementioned items for too long (which in their minds is about 2.5 seconds). They'll sometimes bark at me while I'm playing with them but it's rare so I'll bark back at them and we'll have "arguments" for a minute or two. :-)

Guest IGmom4now
Depends on the squirrel population that day :lol:lol

Yeah, I said twice a day, but it really depends on what's in the yard, and whether I've been prompt in obeying, um, responding to his "hints."

Guest 2FourFootClowns

Lance barks only when I'm particularly obtuse about getting him dinner on time.

BUT....

Both Lance and Star bark, growl, and make other bizarre noises when they sleep!