• once/month or less
    • 2-3x/month
    • once/week
    • a couple times/week
    • about every other day
    • about once/day
    • about twice/day
    • more than twice/day
    • multiple dogs have VERY different barking habits (if close then average them and chose an answer above).

My 3 girls have not read the part of the Greyhound manual that says this breed does not bark much!! They bark to go out, to come in, when they see anything move and just for the heck of it. I really blame my former spook Foley :devil ! She was the verbal one and has taught the other 2. My JRT is quieter than these girls!

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neenieca

Penny barks like crazy when she knows we're about to go for a walk. She gets so excited, she just can't seem to contain herself. Otherwise she'll bark when some strangers come to the door, but not every stranger.

Guest patti909

Luke barks a lot outside. If anyone comes into sight, he's barking.

Gracie barks at Luke to get him to play with her, maybe a couple times a week.

Lacie...never barks. I have had her for almost 2 years and I have never heard her bark.

Dazzle barks at squirrels and he barks when he's hyper and I stare at him. Sometimes he'll bark at me if I ignore his whining. Echo barks a lot, but only when she's trying to get Dazzle to play. She roos a lot more than Dazzle though, it's so cute!

Guest tammymacb

My house is home to South Carolina's Barkapalooza! My greys didn't read the section in Greyhounds for Dummies about barking.

Hannah- the queen barker, barks at anyone ringing a bell or walking in the house, barks at my step son like CRAZY ( she hates him, he deserves it and it's a long story) she is my fiercest protector.

Willy adds his low keyed and amazingly loud bark to Hannah's, kind of mixing up the tempo. He'll sometimes bark for absolutely no reason I can see :blink: and he play barks in the yard/house when he's interested in getting a tag game going with Elkins

Elkins is the quietest one- about the only time that you'll hear him is when Willy opens my son's bedroom door for him ( another story, Willy can open ANY door in the house) and he'll bark gleefully at the guinea pigs until I go and make him come out. It's his favorite pasttime on a slow day.

Our pup only barks when she is playing with me or is excited about getting her Kong. In the case of my playing with her, it's just one single bark. When she barks for the Kong, it's just a soft "Wuff!"

We've had her six months and I have yet to see her bark outside the house.

Guest myfourbabies

Flame now howls/barks at a certain ringtone on my mobile phone! It is 'Dance of the sugar-plum fairy' from 'Nutcracker suite' It is so funny!

She barks all the time, a real chatterbox just like her mum!!!

:)

Mikee is a barker. He barks at the doorbell or knocking. He barks to go out. He barks when he thinks its time to eat. He barks at the other dogs if they are in his way. He barks to play. On a few occasions he has barked at visitors. I am not sure why as they were both dog people. He roos when the other dogs howl. Sounds just like a coyote ! He is another one that did not read Greyhounds for Dummies.

Sandy

Jack likes to bark. My dh works at night and sleeps during the day...until Jack decides she should get up. She said he barked for 30 min one day. so she'd get up early and take him out. Sometimes he gets her up, then he goes and lays on the couch, and seems to want her to join him. Why in the world would she want to stay in her room when she could be laying on the couch and giving him ear scritches.

Quannah doesn't bark as much, but he will bark/growl at other dogs/animals.

Our greys very rarely bark--something has to really work them up. Argus will bark if a stranger comes up to the house and he doesn't like the look of them. Raven will sometimes bark when playing, but mostly she is silent... except for the occasional burp. :lol

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

1st day with Penny and Jake, Penny wanted me to get up at 6:45 this morning and used excited barking and bouncing around to annouce the new day. :D Jake so far is quiet.

Guest kavafish
Tony barks all the time and many times a day!! ...or he whines or growls. If I don't give him enough attention, he knows how to get it!!

1766176[/snapback]

BTW, these whines and growls and barks are usually in the midst of a "play with me" dance or a "I love when you give me scritches like that, do it again"!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Redrabbit

Buster goes into a 20-minute barking spell almost every evening - not barking AT anything - more trying to talk to me! (barking in my face)

If I dont move fast enough in the morning I also get a few encouraging whoofs.

Silly boy.

Rachel

Guest pupwellq

MISHKA: barks her fool head off at falling leaves! :blink: she is also territorial and will bark at anyone coming onto our property, she barks when she hears the door bell, she'll bark when Brandy comes too close to her when she is eating.

BRANDY: NEVER BARKED UNTIL MISHKA TAUGHT HER!!!!!! She barks when she wants to be let back inside.

Guest taylorsmom

Taylor barks a lot, mostly because we also made the mistake of teaching her to "speak" for a treat. Now every time we are eating a meal and she thinks she would also like to have some, she barks and play bows and generally looks extremely cute. We mostly resist, and only give her treats when we have ASKED her to speak!! She also barks at dogs when she seems them on TV!!

Guest SequelIsEqual

If someone rings the doorbell, Minnie flies barking to see who it is, runs to tell us if it's stranger or friend, then races back to the door. If it's a stranger, Minnie keeps barking. If it's someone she knows, she shuts up and just wiggles with love.

The only time I've heard Eric bark in the year and a half that we have had him was last Saturday in the exam room of the E-vets. Way on the other hand barks for anything and everything! The neighbour's Christmas lights are making him crazy, luckly he turns them off every night at 10.

Edited by Sheri

Joplin = Mouth of the South.

Even the previously quiet fosters learn to bark after a few weeks at my house with Mr. Mouth. I'm thankful that even though he's a MAJOR weenie, he's got a HUGE, deep bark. If I have to have a barker, I'll take that any day over a yapper or a screamer.

Lynn