A loss of some sort

After 13 years we said farewell to our hound mobile. It was 27 years old and getting unreliable. Man, did I love that old car. :(

47011305kv.jpg

47011306qa.jpg

All my greys have been riding around in the back.

Now we are starting a new chapter. Let's hope the new addition keeps up what the elk started...

47011310yn.jpg

I understand, Nadine. I had a hard time giving up on my Honda Element. I kept it well maintained yet it let me down too many times.

How are your dogs liking their new wheels?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I, too, understand. I was so very sad to give up the original BOH, a 2005 Toyota Scion xB with manual transmission that was referred to as the "Toaster" and I loved it. We kept the mechanicals going but the rust was becoming a serious worry. There were a lot of tears when we said g'bye.

Your new ride is lovely and I hope it brings you and the hounds many safe and happy miles together.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The dogs like the van style. I don't know what's the deal with greyhounds and sliding doors. :D

We need to wait a bit longer to take long rides because first we need to get the gates fitted.... 1 barrier behind the front seats and 3 gates behind the 2 sliding doors and the big back door.

Safety first. 

Whew! That's a testament to what Volvos used to be, built like tanks. Enjoy your new wheels!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Rest in peace, old houndmobile.  Or be recycled into new and exciting things.

Years ago, Claudia from the Greyhound Gang in Utah wrote a wonderful essay about saying goodbye to the Gang's van and what a powerful symbol of hound life it was.  It brought the dogs from their old racing life to their new life as pets.  It gathered the pack to go places together; sometimes places of enjoyment and sometimes not.  Unlike most hound trailers, it had windows so the sighthounds could see out.  And sometimes it took them on that last trip to the vet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Wow. That looks awesome! 

Exactly what I thought. Perfect for houndies.

I didn't comment on the original post, but my thought then was, "27 years! Holy smokes. I rarely see cars that old around here."

• Like 1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:lol The new car is a serious bit of kit… We have a Volvo V90 with lots of bells and whistles but there is a V70 down the road (not quite as vintage as yours was!) which we pass frequently, admiring that boxy booty with appreciative envy

• Like 1

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

As much as I loved the volvo, the new hauler is nicer for the dogs. It has ac (the volvo had windows :D) and windows - even in the roof. Plus it seems to be reliable. 

all in all I'm glad that I switched before my old friend decided to brake down in the middle of a drive on the Autobahn. 

Edited by Nadine

all in all I'm glad that I switched before my old friend decided to brake down in the middle of a drive on the Autobahn.

Yes, let them go on a good day.  :)  

• Like 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter