How to tell when your dog is in pain

Just looking for a bit of advice from people with more experience. Buddy has been on Librela for arthritis and associated scoliosis in the base of his spine for almost a year following an episode of sciatica last September. Initially it worked really well - he got a new lease of life, but we have started to see a reduction in the beneficial effects over the last few months, so the dosage has been increased to the maximum. It’s difficult to tell if this is having an effect yet - Buddy is not a hot weather dog, despite loving being able to bask in the sunshine, he doesn’t do too well in the heat so we are looking forward to cooler weather.

One of the changes we have seen is that he is dragging his back feet quite a lot - probably a result of the trapping of a nerve with some loss of sensation. The vet said this would become permanently trapped and that he would be more comfortable when that happened. The main other change is that he is clearly really, really stiff at his back end. It is obvious when he walks, lays down and gets up. When he manoeuvres around, he is using his tail an awful lot more than he used to to steady himself. This is coupled with a significant loss of strength in his rear end. There have been a couple of occasions when his back legs have either wobbled or given way when he has been squatting for a poop. We have got a God’s Greyts assistance harness on him permanently, which I’m doing my best not to use unless I have to. I don’t want to accelerate that hind leg weakness by helping him too much, but it’s on as a ‘just in case’.

We discussed this with the vet at his latest Librela injection last night. We talked about introducing either gabapentin or amantadine (not licensed as a pain killer, although apparently very effective as such as it dulls sensation). But I don’t know if either of these things will be useful since I can’t tell if he’s in pain. I think I am judging things by my own standards - I wouldn’t take painkillers for general stiffness, but I don’t know if I should give them to Buddy. He is still having the occasional zoomie, although he moves differently (and knows about it afterwards!), he’s eating properly, he doesn’t seem to be any more restless than usual, he’s not panting or drooling more than I would expect just from the heat, and he’s not sensitive about being touched anywhere. He’s even much more accepting of other dogs and is showing an interest in initiating sniffs with them. We are not walking him as much at the moment - some days it’s just too warm and some days he will choose to turn back so we go with that rather than making him do a full walk. Are there any other signs I should be looking for?

He will be 13 in November. He’s still curious and interested, but I fear that it’s his body that’s going to let him down. We also discussed hydrotherapy with the vet but neither Dan or I are sure that this is something Buddy would enjoy. I think he would love the towelling  down afterwards though! We know that we are in the final phase of his life and want him to be as comfortable as possible, so any advice will be gratefully received. Thank you!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

:bighug

Do you have a vet that’s certified in chiro or acupuncture?  Both these worked well for one of our oldies.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

First let me say that you and Dan are both wonderful caregivers to Buddy. As we know, it's a crapshoot as to how much time we get together and to be looking at 13 is nothing short of remarkable. I am not familiar with Librela so can't speak to that. Buddy's symptoms sound so much like Pal's (Pagliaccio). He was my only hound to reach 14.1 and would have kept going, had his body not failed him. He simply wore out. Throughout the last phase of his life, his cocktail was switched up but included MSM/Chondroitin, Deramaxx, Gabapentin, Amantadine, Adequan injections, Robaxin, and Tramadol (which is no longer generally prescribed for hounds). Until the travel to and from became not worth the reward, we did acupuncture and chiro that did seem to help (x-rays first to try to be sure that we wouldn't be doing more harm than good). Massage also seemed to help. At the time, I wasn't aware of the Assissi Loop that I've since used for Aiden and now Punkin (who is on Gaba, Amantadine, CBD). Keep in mind that our hounds can be very stoic and show very little or no indication of being in pain (Paddy). Panting is often a very good indicator, as well as changes in usual behavior, which it doesn't sound as tho Buddy is displaying too much or often. I would keep the harness on him, esp since he has had a few incidences of limb weakness during a poop. Buddy is still eating and enjoying his life. I don't know if I've addressed your primary concerns or muddied the water. I think that since we can't always know for sure about pain levels, that preventative measures to help keep our hounds comfy are a good thing. 

Please give your sweet boy a hug from us. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

14 minutes ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

:bighug

Do you have a vet that’s certified in chiro or acupuncture?  Both these worked well for one of our oldies.

I will ask when I pick up his worming treatment next week, thank you :heart

4 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

First let me say that you and Dan are both wonderful caregivers to Buddy. As we know, it's a crapshoot as to how much time we get together and to be looking at 13 is nothing short of remarkable. I am not familiar with Librela so can't speak to that. Buddy's symptoms sound so much like Pal's (Pagliaccio). He was my only hound to reach 14.1 and would have kept going, had his body not failed him. He simply wore out. Throughout the last phase of his life, his cocktail was switched up but included MSM/Chondroitin, Deramaxx, Gabapentin, Amantadine, Adequan injections, Robaxin, and Tramadol (which is no longer generally prescribed for hounds). Until the travel to and from became not worth the reward, we did acupuncture and chiro that did seem to help (x-rays first to try to be sure that we wouldn't be doing more harm than good). Massage also seemed to help. At the time, I wasn't aware of the Assissi Loop that I've since used for Aiden and now Punkin (who is on Gaba, Amantadine, CBD). Keep in mind that our hounds can be very stoic and show very little or no indication of being in pain (Paddy). Panting is often a very good indicator, as well as changes in usual behavior, which it doesn't sound as tho Buddy is displaying too much or often. I would keep the harness on him, esp since he has had a few incidences of limb weakness during a poop. Buddy is still eating and enjoying his life. I don't know if I've addressed your primary concerns or muddied the water. I think that since we can't always know for sure about pain levels, that preventative measures to help keep our hounds comfy are a good thing. 

Please give your sweet boy a hug from us. :grouphug

Thank you :wub: we’ve often thought that his longevity is probably down to good genes since we are both hapless as dog owners! We have learnt a lot from our time with Buddy and he’s done a good job of preparing us well for his successors, whenever that may be.

You haven’t muddied the water at all, thank you. I guess he is like most other hounds - not a peep from him when he’s in agony, but snag him/his harness on a bramble and he will scream the place down. His behaviour is mellow and it’s really only the stiffness and foot dragging that’s a giveaway - that we might be able to alleviate, although there is not much we can do about his muscle weakness I don’t think.

I hadn’t considered CBD although there were a few suggestions for cold laser therapy back in September last year - is that similar to the Assisi loop? 

2 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

Thank you :wub: we’ve often thought that his longevity is probably down to good genes since we are both hapless as dog owners! We have learnt a lot from our time with Buddy and he’s done a good job of preparing us well for his successors, whenever that may be.

You haven’t muddied the water at all, thank you. I guess he is like most other hounds - not a peep from him when he’s in agony, but snag him/his harness on a bramble and he will scream the place down. His behaviour is mellow and it’s really only the stiffness and foot dragging that’s a giveaway - that we might be able to alleviate, although there is not much we can do about his muscle weakness I don’t think.

I hadn’t considered CBD although there were a few suggestions for cold laser therapy back in September last year - is that similar to the Assisi loop? 

You also might keep an eye on Buddy's hind feet for sores or scrapes. You can use a baby sock or DogBooties has great flannel-type socks that can help protect his (cute) toes and might be easier for him to navigate with than their Denier nylon protective socks.

The CBD we are using is from ElleVet. I have to say that Punkin, who is looking at 12, is def more comfortable with it. Here is a discussion about the Assissi Loop. 

You know, we have KNOT seen any pics of Buddy recently. Just sayin' :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

16 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

You also might keep an eye on Buddy's hind feet for sores or scrapes. You can use a baby sock or DogBooties has great flannel-type socks that can help protect his (cute) toes and might be easier for him to navigate with than their Denier nylon protective socks.

The CBD we are using is from ElleVet. I have to say that Punkin, who is looking at 12, is def more comfortable with it. Here is a discussion about the Assissi Loop. 

You know, we have KNOT seen any pics of Buddy recently. Just sayin' :)

:lol And yet both Dan and I are taking more photos of him than ever! This video is from almost two weeks ago, which will make people wonder what I am worrying about…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvsdTEiKYIM/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

He does have a habit of making a liar out of me. I trim his nails each week as he isn’t walking enough to keep them short himself; they look in pretty good condition but he might benefit from a balm on his pads more often.  I will have a read of that link, thank you

Oh my goodness, what a lovebug :beatheart Thank you! (Buddy looks great, btw, but I see the concern.)

That video! :beatheart

My podenco maneto Howie exhibits pain when he first gets up from napping by panting/huff and puffing. He front legs are deformed by severe arthritis causing bone on bone grinding. When he rises to start walking he goes slow, doing what I call his "supermodel runway walk" crossing each front leg far across his chest and mincing his way along until he loosens up. Eventually he levels off and walks a little closer to normal. It pains my heart to watch him go through this. He's 12 and other than extreme fearfulness at times, he is healthy.

We tried MSM/Chondroitin, Deramaxx, Gabapentin, Adequan injections, Robaxin, Tramadol, CBD (but not the brand Jan suggested), and other meds that I've forgotten with no success at all.

Our last chance was with Meloxicam and the relief was immediately noticeable. So far no side effects and we do 6 month lab work to monitor.

Howie's extreme fearfulness was becoming difficult to manage with meds. We finally tried Prozac and that made it much worse. My vet suggested Amitriptyline for this anxiety and it was a miracle worker! Despite the medication's description it started working immediately. As a bonus, it also helps with nerve pain. Combined with the Meloxicam Howie's walking improved further.

Here's an excerpt from one study:

A diagnosis of NeuP was presumed.  A one month trial of gabapentin did not improve clinical signs. One month of amitriptyline produced an immediate and dramatic response until the owner stopped treatment having considered the dog to be cured. Signs recurred within 3 days and were controlled again by amitriptyline.

Your vet will have to check if it will not clash with any other meds Buddy is taking, but I think it's worth a try. Inexpensive too.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

14 minutes ago, macoduck said:

That video! :beatheart

My podenco maneto Howie exhibits pain when he first gets up from napping by panting/huff and puffing. He front legs are deformed by severe arthritis causing bone on bone grinding. When he rises to start walking he goes slow, doing what I call his "supermodel runway walk" crossing each front leg far across his chest and mincing his way along until he loosens up. Eventually he levels off and walks a little closer to normal. It pains my heart to watch him go through this. He's 12 and other than extreme fearfulness at times, he is healthy.

We tried MSM/Chondroitin, Deramaxx, Gabapentin, Adequan injections, Robaxin, Tramadol, CBD (but not the brand Jan suggested), and other meds that I've forgotten with no success at all.

Our last chance was with Meloxicam and the relief was immediately noticeable. So far no side effects and we do 6 month lab work to monitor.

Howie's extreme fearfulness was becoming difficult to manage with meds. We finally tried Prozac and that made it much worse. My vet suggested Amitriptyline for this anxiety and it was a miracle worker! Despite the medication's description it started working immediately. As a bonus, it also helps with nerve pain. Combined with the Meloxicam Howie's walking improved further.

Here's an excerpt from one study:

A diagnosis of NeuP was presumed.  A one month trial of gabapentin did not improve clinical signs. One month of amitriptyline produced an immediate and dramatic response until the owner stopped treatment having considered the dog to be cured. Signs recurred within 3 days and were controlled again by amitriptyline.

Your vet will have to check if it will not clash with any other meds Buddy is taking, but I think it's worth a try. Inexpensive too.

Poor Howie :brokenheart I’m glad that he has a comfy bed to get up from and lots of love to mince his way over to, which is so much more than many podencos.

Buddy is currently only on Librela (and a joint supplement, over the counter) and as far as I’m aware, it can be used in conjunction with most other medicines. We can use Meloxicam for acute symptoms but not long term; we gave him a low dose over five continuous days last year but had to stop as it gave him bloody diarrhoea. I’ve just been investigating CBD but we can’t buy it for pets here - it’s just not available. We can however discuss it with the vet and they can recommend human versions (as long as it’s hemp-derived and not marijuana based). I’ve not heard of amitriptyline so that’s another one to add to the list to ask about. Thank you.

Buddy is one of my favorite Instagram accounts! :beatheart  I just love him.

Chiming in to say that Sweep had the same issue with Meloxicam, but was fine with any other NSAID we tried. We found Previcox most effective so she was on that from about 6 to her death from osteo at 12.5, and only at the end did her kidneys decline at all (which was likely hastened by chemo). Others to consider are Galliprant (supposed to be gentler to kidneys and liver), Rimadyl, and Deramaxx. After a "loading dose" of giving it daily for a week or so, you might be able to back off to every other day or two. Sweep did better in the winter than the summer (oddly), so when it was cooler she often went without anything at all.

I second/third the acupuncture/chiro idea if Buddy wouldn't mind the regular visits. Keep us posted. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

4 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Buddy is one of my favorite Instagram accounts! :beatheart  I just love him.

Chiming in to say that Sweep had the same issue with Meloxicam, but was fine with any other NSAID we tried. We found Previcox most effective so she was on that from about 6 to her death from osteo at 12.5, and only at the end did her kidneys decline at all (which was likely hastened by chemo). Others to consider are Galliprant (supposed to be gentler to kidneys and liver), Rimadyl, and Deramaxx. After a "loading dose" of giving it daily for a week or so, you might be able to back off to every other day or two. Sweep did better in the winter than the summer (oddly), so when it was cooler she often went without anything at all.

I second/third the acupuncture/chiro idea if Buddy wouldn't mind the regular visits. Keep us posted. 

Aww, Buds says thanks :wub:. We love Doolilla’s adventures too.

I assumed that all NSAIDs would have the same effect, so that’s useful to know. I can ask about those too! I’m looking for a local acupuncturist too. I’m fairly certain Buddy wouldn’t mind the regular visit and attention, but something I hadn’t considered is getting him there. We have to take him in Dan’s car, and both of us have to lift him (‘up on three, and forwards!’) if they do offer it at the vet, maybe we could get it done at the same time as his injection. I will ask.

Thank you!

I can’t help much with the meds as it is really trial and error to see what works with each dog. I had a couple of oldies with back end/spinal issues, and acupuncture, cold laser, and the Assisi loop worked well for both. Buddy looks wonderful :wub:  I also had one of those soft harnesses that I kept on Val 24/7 towards the end, very good for helping her get up. Both Val and Conner made it past 14, mostly comfortable, until suddenly they weren’t and it was obvious they were ready to go. I hope Buddy’s leaving is a long way off, but you will know :beatheart

edited to add, I don’t know if this is an option where you live but I was lucky enough to find a vet who came to the house to do the acupuncture. Might be worth looking around to see.

Edited by Remolacha

As far as answering your original question, it sounds like you're keeping track of most of the main clues for pain - increased panting, stiffness, lameness, reluctance to move around/get up.  I would also include a reluctance to do normal daily activities likes walks, and somewhat compulsive licking of a possibly affected area.  In Buddy's case, that could be his hind feet or legs, or even biting his thighs (like going after a flea?).  Nerve issues make the affected limbs tingle - like they're going to sleep - and it can be irritating and cause them to lick at the same spot to ease the pain/tingling.

Both Librela and Adequan are mainly used for arthritis - working in two different modalities.  Adequan is a sort of glucosamine and Librela a monoclonal antibody.  It sounds like, at the moment, he's only getting Librela and a glucosamine supplement, so there are lots of ways you can go to help him out medicinally.

1) Adding in an NSAID.  Couple thoughts - most nsaids are hard on the stomach - for dogs and for people - so it's important that it's ONLY taken after a full meal or a significant snack to negate some of those effects.  Meloxicam is usually well tolerated, but it depends on the individual.  It also comes in a liquid form that can be squirted in the mouth or over food that is much easier on the digestive system.  Galliprant, mentioned below, was specifically developed to be an nsaid with less side effects (though it still needs to be given after food, I think).  But the list of canine nsaids is long, so talk with your vet about perhaps trying something else to reduce the swelling in his spine.

2) However - DO NOT let him talk you into using a corticosteroid until you have no options left.  It just is too harsh on the rest of their body and causes more problems than it alleviates, but if you're coming down to the end (a long time from now!!) it can give you a couple days grace to make arrangements and come to terms.

3) Other medications:

>Gabapentin is the current favorite drug to use for nerve pain, but it's a very multi-purpose drug.  Developed as a human prescription for seizures, it can be used for a lot of different issues.  Some dogs respond well to it, some dogs don't.  Greyhounds seem to be sensitive to it, so start out on a low dose and let him get used to that before increasing it.  It also doesn't seem to last as long in greyhounds and needs to be given about every 6-8 hours rather than 10-12.

>Amitriptyline - again, a human drug that will be an off-label use for dogs.  Very very helpful in assisting other drugs in effectiveness, and as an anti anxiety drug on it's own.  It's mostly being more popularly used in the last several years so some vets may not be familiar with it.

>Tramadol - generally becoming out of favor as studies have shown it is not effective in relieving pain in humans or dogs.  It's an opioid/controlled substance as well, and many greyhounds react badly to it.  If I need an actual pain reliever (stronger than an nsaid) I go for Codeine Sulfate.  This is another opioid, but much more effective and better tolerated than others.

4)Consider talking with your vet about using lidocaine injections - sort of like an epidural - when his nerve pain becomes uncontrollable in other ways.  It can be mixed with a corticosteroid as well, which seems to be better tolerated in this form.  This is a common human modality for treatment of back pain and sciatica, but it can work for dogs too.

5) All the other modalities mentioned can also be effective in helping keep him mobile and comfortable.  Though really look into the chiro prior and talk with your vet and any prospective chiropractor prior and it can sometime worse spine conditions depending on what's wrong.  I have had a lot of success with massage and acupuncture and completely recommend those.  You can purchase laser machines to use at home, though I'm not sure about their effectiveness vs in-clinic treatments.

I sure hope you and Buddy have a long time together!!  :beatheart 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

1 hour ago, Remolacha said:

I can’t help much with the meds as it is really trial and error to see what works with each dog. I had a couple of oldies with back end/spinal issues, and acupuncture, cold laser, and the Assisi loop worked well for both. Buddy looks wonderful :wub:  I also had one of those soft harnesses that I kept on Val 24/7 towards the end, very good for helping her get up. Both Val and Conner made it past 14, mostly comfortable, until suddenly they weren’t and it was obvious they were ready to go. I hope Buddy’s leaving is a long way off, but you will know :beatheart

edited to add, I don’t know if this is an option where you live but I was lucky enough to find a vet who came to the house to do the acupuncture. Might be worth looking around to see.

I wondered if this might be the case…having read a few of the forums about gabapentin, I didn’t want to mess Buddy around getting it right if he wasn’t actually in any pain, but I also don’t want to leave it until it was too late when he could be benefitting from a bit extra in his medicatory regimen (medicatory is not a word, but I’m sure you know what I mean :wacko:). I wish I could see inside that tiny head of his.

At the minute it’s proving a bit hard to find a clinic that does acupuncture on site, let alone coming to the house :lol. I think there is a shortage of vets and it seems like most only provide one service at home, and we’re not ready for that one yet, thankfully. Thank you for your advice!

7 minutes ago, greysmom said:

As far as answering your original question, it sounds like you're keeping track of most of the main clues for pain - increased panting, stiffness, lameness, reluctance to move around/get up.  I would also include a reluctance to do normal daily activities likes walks, and somewhat compulsive licking of a possibly affected area.  In Buddy's case, that could be his hind feet or legs, or even biting his thighs (like going after a flea?).  Nerve issues make the affected limbs tingle - like they're going to sleep - and it can be irritating and cause them to lick at the same spot to ease the pain/tingling.

Both Librela and Adequan are mainly used for arthritis - working in two different modalities.  Adequan is a sort of glucosamine and Librela a monoclonal antibody.  It sounds like, at the moment, he's only getting Librela and a glucosamine supplement, so there are lots of ways you can go to help him out medicinally.

1) Adding in an NSAID.  Couple thoughts - most nsaids are hard on the stomach - for dogs and for people - so it's important that it's ONLY taken after a full meal or a significant snack to negate some of those effects.  Meloxicam is usually well tolerated, but it depends on the individual.  It also comes in a liquid form that can be squirted in the mouth or over food that is much easier on the digestive system.  Galliprant, mentioned below, was specifically developed to be an nsaid with less side effects (though it still needs to be given after food, I think).  But the list of canine nsaids is long, so talk with your vet about perhaps trying something else to reduce the swelling in his spine.

2) However - DO NOT let him talk you into using a corticosteroid until you have no options left.  It just is too harsh on the rest of their body and causes more problems than it alleviates, but if you're coming down to the end (a long time from now!!) it can give you a couple days grace to make arrangements and come to terms.

3) Other medications:

>Gabapentin is the current favorite drug to use for nerve pain, but it's a very multi-purpose drug.  Developed as a human prescription for seizures, it can be used for a lot of different issues.  Some dogs respond well to it, some dogs don't.  Greyhounds seem to be sensitive to it, so start out on a low dose and let him get used to that before increasing it.  It also doesn't seem to last as long in greyhounds and needs to be given about every 6-8 hours rather than 10-12.

>Amitriptyline - again, a human drug that will be an off-label use for dogs.  Very very helpful in assisting other drugs in effectiveness, and as an anti anxiety drug on it's own.  It's mostly being more popularly used in the last several years so some vets may not be familiar with it.

>Tramadol - generally becoming out of favor as studies have shown it is not effective in relieving pain in humans or dogs.  It's an opioid/controlled substance as well, and many greyhounds react badly to it.  If I need an actual pain reliever (stronger than an nsaid) I go for Codeine Sulfate.  This is another opioid, but much more effective and better tolerated than others.

4)Consider talking with your vet about using lidocaine injections - sort of like an epidural - when his nerve pain becomes uncontrollable in other ways.  It can be mixed with a corticosteroid as well, which seems to be better tolerated in this form.  This is a common human modality for treatment of back pain and sciatica, but it can work for dogs too.

5) All the other modalities mentioned can also be effective in helping keep him mobile and comfortable.  Though really look into the chiro prior and talk with your vet and any prospective chiropractor prior and it can sometime worse spine conditions depending on what's wrong.  I have had a lot of success with massage and acupuncture and completely recommend those.  You can purchase laser machines to use at home, though I'm not sure about their effectiveness vs in-clinic treatments.

I sure hope you and Buddy have a long time together!!  :beatheart 

Thank you for this. He gets a massage from his groomer and is soooooooo chilled when I pick him up so i will speak to her about that - maybe bath less, massage more! This might be enough for him at this time. 
There’s no extra licking beyond the places where he already licks, and certainly no extra attention on his back legs.

I think that we will probably explore the other non-Meloxicam NSAIDs first - he was on a liquid form squirted onto his food when he had an upset tummy but none of the vets we have seen have talked about other NSAIDs when we’ve talked about side effects. I will ask about the gabapentin and amitriptyline too. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Victor said:

It sounds like Buddy is suffering from lumbosacral syndrome. Has your vet tried Depo-Medrol injections? They make a huge difference for our 12-year-old boy. Here's the information on them:

http://www.greythealth.com/lumbosacral.html

Thanks Victor. This does sound like the symptoms that Buddy is showing so I can ask about the availability of this drug in the UK. Most of the information I can find about it is related to human use so I will add it to the list. Thank you

27 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

Thanks Victor. This does sound like the symptoms that Buddy is showing so I can ask about the availability of this drug in the UK. Most of the information I can find about it is related to human use so I will add it to the list. Thank you

My pleasure! Here's a PDF of "Lumbo-Sacral Syndrome in Sporting Breed Dogs—Cauda Equina Syndrome" by Dr. M.R. Herron:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JlAnHWD5gL6IxwbOamftN4KLn3It6J9F/view?usp=share_link

A little update from Friday… despite a little slip he looked like he enjoyed this immensely.

this was a week after his last Librela injection. We have found somewhere that offers acupuncture and have made contact with them - just awaiting a reply. I asked our vet, but it’s not a service they offer, nor could they recommend anyone and simply suggested that I do a Google search :rolleyes:. Anyway, hope you enjoyed his run around