Crazy creatinine levels (11-12) after anaesthetic

Annie is nine years and nine months old. She had a lengthy dental a month ago, with several extractions, and her pre-op bloodwork was 135 umol/L (1.6) creatinine. Afterwards she was drinking and peeing more than usual for a few days. I called the vet, and they suggested I give her a few days to settle after the op. Things did get better and settle for a while. She was a bit off her food sometimes (she's always been a fussy eater), still drinking a little more than usual, but she seemed to be getting back to normal - loving her walks, being her usual lovely little self. Then last week, she really went off her food, seemed quite lethargic, lost a couple of lbs very quickly (she's only 48 lbs at most), so I got her into the vet. Her creatinine is now 1,002 umol/L (11+), BUN level is 34.2, SDMA 82. The vet says he's never seen anything like it. He was pretty much clear that this is the end game and that there's nothing we can do to get the levels down. But we agreed on fluids for 48 hours, an ultra sound, urine test for infection. She's at the vet now, having a spa day or two (I told her :rolleyes:). It looks like kidney failure, but she doesn't seem as ill as she should be for that creatinine level. I'm wondering if the anaesthetic suddenly made an underlying problem dramatically worse. Very worried. Any ideas anyone? I've lost five dogs, three of them greyhounds, since November 2020 and just desperate not to lose my sugar and spice girly! :sad1

Edited by Beautifulriver

You can reach out to Dr Couto. Although based in the US he does online consults around the world. Your vet can send all lab reports and xrays. There is a fee. but it's worth it.

coutovetconsultants@gmail.com

https://www.coutovetconsultants.com/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On 3/28/2023 at 9:16 PM, macoduck said:

You can reach out to Dr Couto. Although based in the US he does online consults around the world. Your vet can send all lab reports and xrays. There is a fee. but it's worth it.

coutovetconsultants@gmail.com

https://www.coutovetconsultants.com/

Thanks. I've moved to a new veterinary practice, which I feel is doing a good job of caring for Annie, who is fading and will not be with me much longer. However, I will contact Dr Couto at some point in the hope I can get an opinion. In Annie's notes, it says she had a pre-op creatinine level of 135 that was 'likely pre renal' and should have another blood test in 1-3 months. No-one mentioned this to me and indeed when I took her in for the second half of the dental 4 months later, the vet (the same one who wrote her notes in Sept) told me there was no need for more bloodwork as her previous test results were all normal. I'm beating myself up that I didn't say go ahead and test anyway. They then proceeded to do a long dental, not following the anaesthesia/drug guidelines set out for dogs with CKD. I would not have allowed them to proceed at all if I'd know. She had crappy teeth before the dental, but she was a cheeky, happy little girl. She's fading and toothless now. I'm angry and distraught.

I didn't see your original post and am just seeing this now. I am so sorry you are going through this.  Give your sweet girl some extra ear rubs from all of us here. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Results just in. Annie has cancer - lymphoma and possibly tumours in her kidneys. If the vet had told me that her creatinine levels were raised in September, I would have asked him to investigate further and no doubt we would have found she had CKD and cancer. I would have said no to the dental and focused on treating the CKD and cancer. Annie wouldn't have been through all she has re the dental, and we would have had time to treat the diseases, to give her more time. I would have had months rather than days to say goodbye to her too. This is the second time this veterinary practice has missed cancer in one of my greyhounds. It won't happen again. 

There are no words for what you are going through. One of my dogs had lymphoma -- the vet diagnosed and basically walked away. I sent the ultrasound to Ohio University and Dr. Couto. Both came back not being able to diagnose without an asperise (spelling?). I met Dr. Couto a few years later here in Canada and he told me lymphoma could be cured. But in your case you have a kidney issue.

My dog also just went through dental surgery and has kidney issues as well. So I am hoping she was able to handle this.

I don't know if this link will be of any help (just a thought). I do not give up very easily.

My heart is breaking for you. I know what it feels like to be trusting a vet and then have them so cruelly and horribly let you and especially your beloved hound down.  It is just as bad if not worse here in the US. I have had vets seriously harm and even kill hounds of mine. It is extremely difficult to find one that actually cares enough to treat our loved ones like they should be and that knows what they are doing.  I will be praying for your sweet girl-and you.  I know He answers prayer and that miracles do still happen. Don't give up. Just love. :hope

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the kind words and advice. Annie is still here, going for and enjoying slow, short walks and doing lots of sniffing. And she's eating, but not nearly enough. She now has ascites, which is apparently a complication of kidney failure/proteinuria. She's taking various drugs to combat her problems, but I'm not sure they are helping. I'm monitoring her closely, and I think we're very close to pts. I am utterly heartbroken. 

I did have a brief email exchange with Dr Couto, who said that lymphoma was treatable if caught early enough. (He was very responsive and kind - impressed!) But really, we missed that window of opportunity between September, when her blood tests showed kidney issues, and April, when she was diagnosed, to treat the cancer and kidney disease. It was too late to help her by the time I knew she was sick. The vet I'm with now has been terrific. The one I left will feel my wrath once Annie is gone.

8 hours ago, Beautifulriver said:

Thank you for all the kind words and advice. Annie is still here, going for and enjoying slow, short walks and doing lots of sniffing. And she's eating, but not nearly enough. She now has ascites, which is apparently a complication of kidney failure/proteinuria. She's taking various drugs to combat her problems, but I'm not sure they are helping. I'm monitoring her closely, and I think we're very close to pts. I am utterly heartbroken. 

I did have a brief email exchange with Dr Couto, who said that lymphoma was treatable if caught early enough. (He was very responsive and kind - impressed!) But really, we missed that window of opportunity between September, when her blood tests showed kidney issues, and April, when she was diagnosed, to treat the cancer and kidney disease. It was too late to help her by the time I knew she was sick. The vet I'm with now has been terrific. The one I left will feel my wrath once Annie is gone.

:grouphug

Annie :kiss2

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.