Greyhound Only Poops on Sidewalk

Hi All!

My sweet grey girl, Ollie, is 3 days off of the track and is adapting to couch potato life very well so far. She's been roaching, playing with toys and walking relatively well on leash. She has no problem peeing on the grass during our walks, but she will only poop on the sidewalk. The sidewalk is directly next to the grass areas where she pees, so she actively makes her way to the sidewalk to poo haha. I've tried to do a gentle re-direct to the grass when she starts to squat, but as expected, that takes her out of her zone, so she stops altogether. Anyone else's greys do this? Just not loving leaving stains on our neighbors sidewalks!

I don't know where he learned it, but Rocket would actually step down off the walk to drop a load on the curb if there was no grass. We did not train for that. If traffic isn't an issue,  can you redirect her to the curb? 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

2 hours ago, zimsmom said:

Can't you just put the bag right under Ollie so it doesn't hit the ground.  That's what I do no matter where she goes. 

I didn't know that anyone else did this besides me!  Sometimes people applaud.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

She'll probably change her mind about where she likes to go as she settles into her routine. Maybe she was on concrete more that grass where she came from.

But it's not entirely a bad thing. My first greyhound would only go on grass. She would go in the yard if there was a little bit of snow but if there was a lot (I'm in Wisconsin) it got difficult. Once there were snowbanks along the streets it was a real struggle.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

G has taken to peeing on asphalt, instead of up a tree or in the leaves & grass. I was thinking maybe it's more comfortable for him to stand flat (stallion stance) and wee, due to the arthritis in his hips. He's always been a bit of a goof. 

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

On 3/8/2023 at 6:01 PM, zimsmom said:

Can't you just put the bag right under Ollie so it doesn't hit the ground.  That's what I do no matter where she goes. 

It's easiest if you use a plastic grocery bag because you can open them wide.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Wow that's a great idea putting a bag right under! Definitely will be trying that on her lunch walk. Glad to know she's not the only one who does her business in random places - thanks everyone :)