Adopting a Bonded Pair

Dolly81

We have the option of adopting a bonded pair of (two females). One is 8, the other 4. Lovely natured girls. The thing is, we have never owned a dog before, never mind two! I grew up with dogs in the home but haven’t had any since I got married. We are a family of 4, myself, my husband and two sons aged 12 and 7.5. I have heard that 2 is easier but have also heard the opposite.   Advice appreciated! 

Once you establish a routine, taking care of two can be just as easy as one. But first you will want to research greyhounds and speak to the adoption group about living in general with greyhounds. But if you can keep a bonded pair of dogs together, it is one of the most precious gifts you can give, and receive! 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Have these girls been in a home (fostered or returned by a previous owner)? That will make a big difference to the learning curve. Personally I think I would have been overwhelmed taking in two at one time for my first dog as an adult and my first greyhound, but if they're used to home life already that would help tremendously. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

5 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

Have these girls been in a home (fostered or returned by a previous owner)? That will make a big difference to the learning curve. Personally I think I would have been overwhelmed taking in two at one time for my first dog as an adult and my first greyhound, but if they're used to home life already that would help tremendously. 

I’m not sure of the full history. Apparently they came in “in very sad circumstances” so this could perhaps be the case. I think it may be overwhelming for us too, to be honest. I will ask when I visit on Sunday. Thank you. 

It sounds like discretion would be the better part of valor and perhaps simply saying no and insisting on a single dog would be the best route to take.  :)

The adoption group should be understanding , especially a first time adopter.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

We adopted a bonded pair of hounds, a male and a female.  We got the female first, then five months later she met and seemed to bond to the male.  It was like they were twins separated at birth.  It has worked well for us and the hounds.  I can't understand the feeling between them, but it's a joy to see.

When my husband and I adopted our first greyhounds we took 2 right away.
We were told they were very pack oriented dogs and they were better in numbers... so 2 it was!

The male was in the rescue for over a year... no idea why, and the female had been returned because "she was too anxious". She just needed to be with another dog.

I had never had a dog prior to them, let alone 2 greyhounds.
My husband had labs growing up but never greys either. 

My friend who introduced us to the breed was very helpful with information, as was the rescue we got them from. 
I also found Greytalk which I've always found a great place for information and sharing. 

Honestly, I didn't find taking on 2 greys difficult. Once we got through the first few weeks where they settled a bit into a routine I found them super easy and an absolute joy. 
Which is why we are on our 2nd pair of greyhounds and they have become my favorite breed. 

I hope you do decide to go with the bonded pair. I think that would be wonderful for them and you. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 12:57 PM, 2greyhoundMINI said:

When my husband and I adopted our first greyhounds we took 2 right away.
We were told they were very pack oriented dogs and they were better in numbers... so 2 it was!

The male was in the rescue for over a year... no idea why, and the female had been returned because "she was too anxious". She just needed to be with another dog.

I had never had a dog prior to them, let alone 2 greyhounds.
My husband had labs growing up but never greys either. 

My friend who introduced us to the breed was very helpful with information, as was the rescue we got them from. 
I also found Greytalk which I've always found a great place for information and sharing. 

Honestly, I didn't find taking on 2 greys difficult. Once we got through the first few weeks where they settled a bit into a routine I found them super easy and an absolute joy. 
Which is why we are on our 2nd pair of greyhounds and they have become my favorite breed. 

I hope you do decide to go with the bonded pair. I think that would be wonderful for them and you. 

Their owner passed away suddenly, that is the reason they were placed in kennels. They are house trained and used to the sights and sounds of the home environment so I am hopeful that this will make things easier. In your experience, would this make leaving at home (a few hours max) and sleeping arrangements smoother? Many thanks! 

It would be easy to adopt a bonded pair that came from a home environment.  They will be used to life in a home so should not have the overwhelmed by sights and sounds that are posted on GT from new owners.  It would just be them adjusting to new people.  Bounced or second time placements (assuming it was just not a good match) are more like getting any other dog. Meaning they are used to the environment and being in a home.

A friend just got a bonded pair not gh after the owner passed they have been the best fit.  Took a little bit to settle into the new home and adjust to a new routine.  They just fit in so well after a week it is like they have always been hers.  Personality is still coming out 2month later.  Friend has had multiples for years is the only difference.

Let us know what you decide two really is fun they have a buddy to place race track with who understands the rules.

2 hours ago, Dolly81 said:

Their owner passed away suddenly, that is the reason they were placed in kennels. They are house trained and used to the sights and sounds of the home environment so I am hopeful that this will make things easier. In your experience, would this make leaving at home (a few hours max) and sleeping arrangements smoother? Many thanks! 

How sad. @Time4ANaphas adopted dogs in the same situation (though I can't recall if it was two at one time). My Doolin was only in a home for a month when his new owner suddenly passed away, so I don't think he'd learned much of the ropes yet. In any event, yes, I do think it'll be much easier with dogs who are adjusted to home life already. Did the owner work outside the home? If so, they're probably used to being alone for a few hours at a time, but they might be a bit anxious initially because they've lost their owner and are likely very confused. And yes to sleeping arrangements—neither of mine do the steep inside stairs yet so they can't sleep in the bedroom with us, but they're okay being downstairs overnight since they have each other.

So I say go for it! It'll probably still be :riphair at times because it's a new normal for all of you, but I bet it'll be a hugely rewarding experience.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I had three, a mix of male/female, when a bonded trio of girls needed a home after their owner passed away. It was an easy transition for the established campers as well as the new enrollees. I'd also brought in two senior boys for whom it would have been devastating to separate them, and being able to keep them together was hugely rewarding for all of us :heart  Yep, go for it! 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

7 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

How sad. @Time4ANaphas adopted dogs in the same situation (though I can't recall if it was two at one time). My Doolin was only in a home for a month when his new owner suddenly passed away, so I don't think he'd learned much of the ropes yet. In any event, yes, I do think it'll be much easier with dogs who are adjusted to home life already. Did the owner work outside the home? If so, they're probably used to being alone for a few hours at a time, but they might be a bit anxious initially because they've lost their owner and are likely very confused. And yes to sleeping arrangements—neither of mine do the steep inside stairs yet so they can't sleep in the bedroom with us, but they're okay being downstairs overnight since they have each other.

So I say go for it! It'll probably still be :riphair at times because it's a new normal for all of you, but I bet it'll be a hugely rewarding experience.

I must have missed this post. 

We adopted a bonded pair (boy and girl) who's owner passed away suddenly. Unfortunately, Diva, the girl of the pair, started limping shortly after arrival and by week 3 we had confirmed that she had Osteo. She got progressively worse and went to The Bridge after just a few weeks with us. Her brother, Mark (big, goofy boy Mark in my other posts) very obviously knew that she was sick. When she left us, he did okay on his own.  Just a month or two after that, another local GH owner passed away and her hound was in the apartment with her for several days before she was found. We took in LaVida the morning that the group picked her up and she made herself at home. She and Mark became buddies right away, and it's like they have both always been here. We have had Mark for a year and LaVida will be here for one year in January. 

We did see the pair (Mark and Diva) relying on each other, but they were very well adjusted dogs. Mark relied on Diva to do most everything for him, and it turns out that he was just a lazy boy who let her do everything. She would let us know when he wanted out, or she would make sure to take him out when she went. They each left food for the other in each of their bowls, and at the end of the meal they would switch bowls and finish the other's food. There were lots of little things we picked up on during the time they were together here. Mark is now pretty self-sufficient about things, but he and LaVida do walk together and go out to lay in the sun together.

I would not hesitate to take in hounds that were in another home together. We have taken in mostly seniors the past few years, and while losing them was hard, I will take in seniors anytime. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

On 10/31/2022 at 9:07 PM, Time4ANap said:

I must have missed this post. 

We adopted a bonded pair (boy and girl) who's owner passed away suddenly. Unfortunately, Diva, the girl of the pair, started limping shortly after arrival and by week 3 we had confirmed that she had Osteo. She got progressively worse and went to The Bridge after just a few weeks with us. Her brother, Mark (big, goofy boy Mark in my other posts) very obviously knew that she was sick. When she left us, he did okay on his own.  Just a month or two after that, another local GH owner passed away and her hound was in the apartment with her for several days before she was found. We took in LaVida the morning that the group picked her up and she made herself at home. She and Mark became buddies right away, and it's like they have both always been here. We have had Mark for a year and LaVida will be here for one year in January. 

We did see the pair (Mark and Diva) relying on each other, but they were very well adjusted dogs. Mark relied on Diva to do most everything for him, and it turns out that he was just a lazy boy who let her do everything. She would let us know when he wanted out, or she would make sure to take him out when she went. They each left food for the other in each of their bowls, and at the end of the meal they would switch bowls and finish the other's food. There were lots of little things we picked up on during the time they were together here. Mark is now pretty self-sufficient about things, but he and LaVida do walk together and go out to lay in the sun together.

I would not hesitate to take in hounds that were in another home together. We have taken in mostly seniors the past few years, and while losing them was hard, I will take in seniors anytime. 

What a wonderful tale. This gives me hope that we could perhaps manage it. Thank you. 

• 1 month later...

Taking care of two is no harder than taking care of one. Have had two at a time for the past thirteen years. Would not change it. The first two were loners and did not have a partner. It is actually easier to have two as they communicate with one another and do stuff together. Less entertainment for you. If I could afford to have more, I would have several more. They are just darling together. And being a bonded pair is even more awesome. If one of my greyhounds looses a partner, I replace the partner quickly as they lonely and less active and have the same emotions that we do when it comes to being alone.