Long haul hookworms

On 9/1/2022 at 8:38 PM, ramonaghan said:

We could do nothing and he said the hooks should die off in about two years

I asked Dr Poole (I think that is his name) via a Zoom conference said this was not a good idea.   The dogs can end up bloody diarrhea and get very sick.  That's how I understood it.  

1 minute ago, zimsmom said:

I asked Dr Poole (I think that is his name) via a Zoom conference said this was not a good idea.   The dogs can end up bloody diarrhea and get very sick.  That's how I understood it.  

Thanks for this. I wasn't comfortable with the thought of doing nothing. We're taking him next Tuesday morning for the Profender treatment. :goodluck 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Doolin and his emotional support sister have been dropped off for their Profender treatment. Good thoughts appreciated!

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

:goodluck :goodluck 

:bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We're home! All was uneventful. They had a run as soon as we got through the gate and harnesses came off. Dinner served (ignored by Doolin, but that's him; he'll eat around 8) and back in comfy beds now. 

Thanks for baknforfing! Will update after the follow-up!

:yay

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

18 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

We're home! All was uneventful. They had a run as soon as we got through the gate and harnesses came off. Dinner served (ignored by Doolin, but that's him; he'll eat around 8) and back in comfy beds now. 

Thanks for baknforfing! Will update after the follow-up!

Is Doolin still doing well today?  No side effects?

I hope you're not going to face this same issue with the new girl.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Just now, Jerilyn said:

Is Doolin still doing well today?  No side effects?

I hope you're not going to face this same issue with the new girl.

She was treated yesterday too. (Sorry, I see how "emotional support sister" might have sounded like she was just along for the ride. I just meant that she's an outgoing sort that has already boosted his confidence quite a bit.) Given that she came from exactly the same kennel and track, our vet didn't see any point in waiting, though we did have a fecal done yesterday to get her baseline.

They are both still doing great, thank you! Doolin ate his dinner late, as predicted, and they both ate their breakfast, played outside, and went for morning walkies. <Warning: poop talk ahead> The only thing we have noticed is that last night their poop was slightly darker and extra stinky. Back to normal today. It has surprised me that both of them have had mostly solid output despite the hooks. I will consider myself lucky!

Willa this morning. I told Miss Jan I think she might have a touch of the mayhem.

4 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

She was treated yesterday too. (Sorry, I see how "emotional support sister" might have sounded like she was just along for the ride. I just meant that she's an outgoing sort that has already boosted his confidence quite a bit.) Given that she came from exactly the same kennel and track, our vet didn't see any point in waiting, though we did have a fecal done yesterday to get her baseline.

They are both still doing great, thank you! Doolin ate his dinner late, as predicted, and they both ate their breakfast, played outside, and went for morning walkies. <Warning: poop talk ahead> The only thing we have noticed is that last night their poop was slightly darker and extra stinky. Back to normal today. It has surprised me that both of them have had mostly solid output despite the hooks. I will consider myself lucky!

Willa this morning. I told Miss Jan I think she might have a touch of the mayhem.

Willa Mayhem :banana Yay!!

Oh and yay for successful treatments :D

5 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

Yeah, but she's cute. That will get her anyhting she wants here. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the voicemail from the vet's office...negative! Incredible. I'm waiting for a call back from the vet himself to plan next steps. I believe per the protocol we'll need three negatives in a row spaced some interval apart, but for now I am :banana :pepper :banana. Never saw any side effects from the Profender. Color me impressed.

:yay  Excellent report on yer poo, Doo! 

• 1 month later...

Hi there! We switched to a mobile vet who has training in Chinese medicine as they were already coming to see our senior girl and we had no luck with any of the usual western drugs-Advantage Multi, Drontal Plus, you name it. And any combo wasn’t working either. This went on for a year with our now 3 year old we adopted. I’m so happy to say we’ve had 2 (!) negative decals in a row! We have been giving her twice a day wormwood complex, zypan (both from standard process), Wu Mei Wan, and Huo Xiang Zheng Qi San. We then gave her Advantage Multi followed 24 hours later by Drontal Plus. We’re going to do 1 more fecal to be sure but this is the most hopeful we’ve been

• 4 weeks later...

Doolin's hooks are back; still waiting for Willa's report. Second Profender treatment given today. How's everyone else doing?

Oh no! I thought Profender was a sure thing. :(

Wiki is status quo, testing antigen positive but no ova present, consistent with larval leak. She is totally asymptomatic and healthy - shiny, sassy, great poops, and she's finally gained enough weight so I don't see all of her bones all of the time. 

Lila Football

7 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

Oh no! I thought Profender was a sure thing. :(

Wiki is status quo, testing antigen positive but no ova present, consistent with larval leak. She is totally asymptomatic and healthy - shiny, sassy, great poops, and she's finally gained enough weight so I don't see all of her bones all of the time. 

Yay, Wiki! Excellent report. :thumbs-up 

From what I've read on the Getting Rid of Parasites in Retired Racing Greyhounds (say that three times fast) FB page, it's not uncommon to have to do two or three rounds of Profender. I had a feeling... his weight and poops are good, but he has been doing that thing where he acts like something's biting his sides.

Journey finally got 2 negatives in a row waiting on the third still a few months away for recheck.  She has been on Simparica Trio for a while now and we have seen steady progress with it.  Had been on Advantage monthly with a negative the positive test results.  

1 hour ago, zimsmom said:

Mackenley's last stool was negative.  On Advantage monthly (which I was late giving her this month:().  Next stool in 3 months.  So we have 2 negative in a row.  Just need one more. 

:goodluck 

Just now, 1Moregrey said:

Journey finally got 2 negatives in a row waiting on the third still a few months away for recheck.  She has been on Simparica Trio for a while now and we have seen steady progress with it.  Had been on Advantage monthly with a negative the positive test results.  

Just started Doolin on Simparica Trio too. Hoping it helps!

54 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Boo. Willa's positive too. 

I guess siblings share everything.

Are there eggs present or just antigen positive?

Lila Football