Long haul hookworms

11 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

My experience with spray cheese was with Rocket. We had gone to the vet clinic at the university and for whatever was going on, the vet wanted a round of panacur just in case there was something lurking. They only had liquid panacur available. There was no way he was going to let me squirt a syringe full into his mouth without losing a finger or two.  Each day I made him a "Squirty Cheese Sammich" by injecting the panacur into a hawaiian roll, and using squirty cheese as the filling for the sandwich. Once the panacur dose was over with, he badgered me for weeks at the same time every day because he wanted his sandwich. :rotfl

Spray cheese werks! :thumbs-up

:lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The sammitch method answers my question about spray cheese -- I wondered if most dogs wouldn't just lick the cheese and expertly avoid the poison pill inside.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I keep asking, but is Wiki a weirdo? :lol: She chews everything! She would find all these pills in wads of cheese and sandwiches. And she is also very suspicious, so anything unexpected gets spit out.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

2 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

I keep asking, but is Wiki a weirdo? :lol: She chews everything! She would find all these pills in wads of cheese and sandwiches. And she is also very suspicious, so anything unexpected gets spit out.

I can't say that we've a greyhound who chewed anything. :lol  More like inhaled. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I realized that what helped with the dispensing of spray cheese was that it was offered on a tongue depressor. Worked like a charm. :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I keep asking, but is Wiki a weirdo? :lol: She chews everything!

Nutmeg was a world-class pill detective.  If she took one bite, there was no fooling her.  One time I took a big flat tablet ("Dogs love the taste!") and cut it into 8 tiny pieces and put it in her kibble at mealtime.  After she inhaled her food, I checked in the bowl.  8 tiny pieces on the shining bottom.

Now I go with the open-the-jaws-poke-down-the-hatch technique, but after Milo's recent dental when he had a canine tooth extracted, I didn't want to be grabbing his mouth so I got some pill pockets for the after-meds.  Man, those things are slimy.  It was like putting a pill into a slug.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

4 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Nutmeg was a world-class pill detective.  If she took one bite, there was no fooling her.  One time I took a big flat tablet ("Dogs love the taste!") and cut it into 8 tiny pieces and put it in her kibble at mealtime.  After she inhaled her food, I checked in the bowl.  8 tiny pieces on the shining bottom.

Yes! Wiki has done this too! Dang dogs.  :lol:

Lila Football

HOOKWORM UPDATE! - - MARK AND LAVIDA ARE BOTH NEGATIVE!!!!

Mark has been negative for a few months. This is a great sign. 

LaVida had a mild case at her Vet Check in January, but we never were told the egg count (adoption group vet so info was third-hand.) We will retest both of them in about 90 days just to be sure the critters are gone for sure. 

Each was on the modified prison protocol for several months, but other than positive tests neither showed any symptoms of hooks - routine vet checks were the only reason for checking. 

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

4 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

HOOKWORM UPDATE! - - MARK AND LAVIDA ARE BOTH NEGATIVE!!!!

Mark has been negative for a few months. This is a great sign. 

LaVida had a mild case at her Vet Check in January, but we never were told the egg count (adoption group vet so info was third-hand.) We will retest both of them in about 90 days just to be sure the critters are gone for sure. 

Each was on the modified prison protocol for several months, but other than positive tests neither showed any symptoms of hooks - routine vet checks were the only reason for checking. 

:yay :yay Great news!!

3 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Adding our :yay 

So we can't call you Captain Hook anymore?  

At least not for now. :lol  (Or until the group calls and says they need a "temporary" foster, but we are full up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

1 minute ago, Time4ANap said:

At least not for now. :lol  (Or until the group calls and says they need a "temporary" foster, but we are full up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

:rofl

On 5/13/2022 at 11:03 AM, Jerilyn said:

Wiki is a broodie off the farm too. And her adoption group didn't even test her for hookworms! Her fosters though her horrible poop was an intolerance to chicken and tried to solve it with benefiber.

I just read an interesting paper about using a topical treatment for cats as an oral treatment for resistant hooks. It's an off label use and scares me a little. Anyone try that?

It's not without risk - Dr Castro (FB page Getting Rid of Parasites in Greyhounds) recommends it as a solution of last resort only.

Wiki's test came back antigen positive but no eggs or anything present. That's the second test in a row with those results. I think that's the best we're going to get with larval leak. I'll keep her on the Advantage Multi and test every 3 months. 

Lila Football

1 hour ago, Jerilyn said:

Wiki's test came back antigen positive but no eggs or anything present. That's the second test in a row with those results. I think that's the best we're going to get with larval leak. I'll keep her on the Advantage Multi and test every 3 months. 

We had that positive antigen result with Petunia several times and then it magically changed to a clean test. It took a lot of time, but even with this result Wiki has to be feeling much better. Paws crossed for a clean test from here on out. 

Petunia's story gives me hope that we could eventually clear them.  Wiki is totally asymptomatic now, which is a good thing.

Lila Football

7 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

Petunia's story gives me hope that we could eventually clear them.  Wiki is totally asymptomatic now, which is a good thing.

She had the worst case of hooks that I've ever seen. How that poor girl didn't end up bleeding out long before we had her here I will never know. She was tough! I do miss my Petunia. 

6 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

She had the worst case of hooks that I've ever seen. How that poor girl didn't end up bleeding out long before we had her here I will never know. She was tough! I do miss my Petunia. 

Petunia :wub:    These mamma dogs are tough. 

Lila Football

22 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

Petunia :wub:    These mamma dogs are tough. 

Yup.  Just realized that today would have been her 14th birthday.  I'm sure there's a big party at the Bridge tonight.