Long haul hookworms

6 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

Are there eggs present or just antigen positive?

I'm not sure; it was a receptionist who called and she didn't have many details. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

• 3 months later...

How are all my wormy friends doing? :lol:

Wiki had her annual check up this week. She's still antigen positive and asymptomatic. She got a good report otherwise. She is known around the clinic as "the chronic hookworm kiddo".

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

On 4/5/2023 at 12:52 PM, Jerilyn said:

How are all my wormy friends doing? :lol:

Wiki had her annual check up this week. She's still antigen positive and asymptomatic. She got a good report otherwise. She is known around the clinic as "the chronic hookworm kiddo".

Wiki, personally I prefer "the black bandit" as a nickname. :lol I'm glad you're still asymptomatic though!

We tested both dogs again on 3/21 because Willa's poop had become less than ideal. Doolin was negative for ova and parasites (phew!). Willa was not so lucky (boo). For a while there, she was licking mud :rolleyes: in the yard, and I don't know if that was a symptom or a cause. She's not doing it anymore. We did a round of Profender again and will drop off a sample this Friday. Fingers crossed!

Edited by ramonaghan

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

9 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

We tested both dogs again on 3/21 because Willa's poop had become less than ideal. Doolin was negative for ova and parasites (phew!). Willa was not so lucky (boo). For a while there, she was licking mud :rolleyes: in the yard, and I don't know if that was a symptom or a cause. She's not doing it anymore. We did a round of Profender again and will drop off a sample this Friday. Fingers crossed!

I'm glad Doolin got an all clear. But that Willa girl :blink: is knot rite.  :lol:  Have you seen any side effects of the Profender treatment?

Lila Football

Journey finally got three negatives in a row in February.  Was a long trek just thankful we reached this milestone.  The Simparica Trio was the game changer for us.

Hang in there Doolin and Willa and anyone else with the unwanted guest it eventually gets better.  Took us from August 2020 till Feb 2023 to get three negatives in a row.

Just now, 1Moregrey said:

Journey finally got three negatives in a row in February.  Was a long trek just thankful we reached this milestone.  The Simparica Trio was the game changer for us.

Hang in there Doolin and Willa and anyone else with the unwanted guest it eventually gets better.  Took us from August 2020 till Feb 2023 to get three negatives in a row.

Congrats, Journey! :yay D&W are both on Simparica Trio now, so hopefully we'll be lucky too.

We have the opposite problem.  Fecals are always negative, but Zeke is symptomatic of hooks, so we just treat and treat and treat.  I would be tempted to try Profender but there is no "proof" that he is treatment resistant.  It is so frustrating.  He had them when we adopted him in May 2020, got them cleared up and he was PERFECT until around September 2021, when the sh!t hit the fan and it has been a battle ever since.  We gave him a medication break for a few months and are back at it again, with plans to reconvene with the vet this summer.  My poor boy.  It cannot be fun for him.  

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

• 6 months later...

They're ba-ack. Willa's had intermittent diarrhea—never urgent, just loose stool—for a few weeks that we'd assumed was chemo related. And then Doolin started having some gnarly gas and belly gurgles the past week or two. :riphair I took a Willa sample in yesterday and sure enough, here we go again. I know it's not targeted for hooks, but I am sort of shocked chemo didn't kill them! I am waiting to hear back about whether it's a problem to treat them with Profender again while she's on chemo.

How's everyone else doing?

Ah Rachel, that sucks! And I'm with you that even though it doesn't make sense, I'd think the chemo would kill them too. I guess this means Profender isn't the solution either.

Wiki actually had her 6 month check a couple weeks ago and it's as it always is - antigen positive, no ova present, and she's asymptomatic. I'll take it and hope that nothing triggers the dormant little monsters to become active.

Lila Football

At Journey’s last check in September she was negative no ova present.  I kinda want to test if it has to do with the timing of the sample and when the Simparica Trio is given.  Next time I will get a sample the week she is due for her regular dose.  Just curious if she is continuously negative or is it the timing of the sample.  Just glad they are under control for the moment.

57 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

They're ba-ack.

1 minute ago, Jerilyn said:

Wiki actually had her 6 month check a couple weeks ago and it's as it always is - antigen positive, no ova present, and she's asymptomatic. I'll take it and hope that nothing triggers the dormant little monsters to become active.

:goodluck :goodluck 

I know from the Facebook page that people have had to do two or three rounds of Profender, but I thought now that they're on Simparica Trio we'd be home free.

7 minutes ago, 1Moregrey said:

At Journey’s last check in September she was negative no ova present.  I kinda want to test if it has to do with the timing of the sample and when the Simparica Trio is given.  Next time I will get a sample the week she is due for her regular dose.  Just curious if she is continuously negative or is it the timing of the sample.  Just glad they are under control for the moment.

Ooh, interesting theory. Let us know what you find out!

• 2 months later...

For those still keeping track at home, we did three rounds of Profender spaced three weeks apart—so we would kill anything that was dormant during the initial round(s)—and then retested last week. The siblings are negative for ova and parasite. Again, no side effects whatsoever. Let's just hope it sticks this time!

• Like 1

Yay for Doolin & Willa!  :yay   Fingers crossed that it's a permanent fix this time.

• Like 1
Lila Football

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2023 at 4:42 PM, ramonaghan said:
On 10/25/2023 at 4:35 PM, 1Moregrey said:

Ooh, interesting theory. Let us know what you find out!

Just dropped off a :catscatsample to be tested and today is the day she gets Simparica Trio.  She has been negative for a year.  I am very interested to see the results and how well the Simparica Trio takes care of the infestation since we had such a hard time getting it under control.  Will post when we get the results back.

• Like 1