Double Dog Dare? Is a second grey a good idea?

Moo

This is speculative really, as I'm doing that thing where I start looking at all the greys in shelters and start fawning over them (I assume normal women feel this way about human babies, haha). I've got a 6yr male, Rumble. As far as he's concerned, if something is hound-shaped it's a friend, but I don't know if this would translate to living together. The only thing he's aggressive or aggressively possessive of is bones, so I don't let him have those. Otherwise he's a relatively soft sod. 

How does introducing a second dog normally work out? What experiences do people have? 

Oh, you are asking a bunch of enablers here :lol. Greyhound to greyhound introductions usually go very well as ex-racers have been used to being around other greys all their lives. Its best to take your current dog along and let him "pick out" his new friend if possible. If you do that and he shows no preference, then take whoever you like. I had my first grey as an only dog for about 6 months and after that I always had multiples, either my own or fosters, and never had any problems. You should still keep an eye on the at first, muzzle or crate them when you aren't around, because even if they get along, at first there can be squabbles as they sort things out. for how long? It depends, and you will know by watching the dogs, probably only a couple of weeks.

Go for it! :D

I've always had multiple greys. Up to 4 at once. 

If you want to start slow, go for walks with other greyhounds.  See if he likes girls or boys more. It's usually the opposite sex, but not always. You can also see if he likes to be alpha. Play dates with other greys help too. 

Then you can try fostering if available.  

Work with an adoption group to get a good match.

But overall I've found most greys seem to get along with most greys.

If you have the space, the time, and the funding to support another large breed dog in your house, then there really is no reason not to have more than one!!

Greyhounds have always lived around other greys, so they are more comfortable with company.  Very rarely do you find a greyhound who is more comfortable as an only dog, or, really *needs* to be an only dog due to behavioral issues.

I second going for walks or having playdates with friends to see how he does.  Most "experts" recommend two dogs be opposite sexes, but I've never found that to be an issue.  Your experience may vary, obviously, depending on your dog's personality.

Work with your adoption group to find a second that fits in appropriately.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yup.  Asking the wrong group for advice :P   We've been a three-dog family for over 25 years.  

That said...you're the ones that have to weigh the pros and cons.  You've been given excellent advice and lots of things to think about from the others.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Lots of people say that having two is easier than having one…I’ve been where you are now, feeling the same but have always stopped short of going to meet and greet another grey because of Buddy being so grumpy with other dogs (although someone we see regularly on our walks who is a former grey owner told us last week that we should just go and get one. Greyhound owners are enablers :lol). If Buddy were more predictable I would definitely have another.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

19 hours ago, Moo said:

This is speculative really, as I'm doing that thing where I start looking at all the greys in shelters and start fawning over them (I assume normal women feel this way about human babies, haha). I've got a 6yr male, Rumble. As far as he's concerned, if something is hound-shaped it's a friend, but I don't know if this would translate to living together. The only thing he's aggressive or aggressively possessive of is bones, so I don't let him have those. Otherwise he's a relatively soft sod. 

How does introducing a second dog normally work out? What experiences do people have? 

I'm thinking the same. Do I get another?

The only things stopping me at the moment are my health (I have rheumatoid arthritis), can I afford it (food, insurance, vets), and more importantly, can I get two greyhounds in a Ford Focus? :D

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Haha, I shouldn't have asked :lol

How do multi dog households transport your longdogs? I don't drive but live with my aunt, but her car just about fits Rumble on the back seat (Ford Fiesta). Unless one could go in the boot? :ph34r I should NOT be pondering this as much as I am! It's a shame though as I work from home and probably do have the time, space and money, the transport is probably the biggest issue really. I'd love to consider fostering though if it ever came up. Given how perplexed the poor things are when they get to a home it'd be nice to give them a stepping stone to settling in. And Rumble took to house life remarkably well (I think he had maybe 1 accident at night) so maybe he'd be a good mentor?

Aaaah broody for noodles! :angel:ghplaybow

I’ve had 3 in the backseat of my car.  Not ideal, but it works for short trips.
I have a hammock…even for one it’s great and keeps the dog from sliding off.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

7 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

I'm thinking the same. Do I get another?

The only things stopping me at the moment are my health (I have rheumatoid arthritis), can I afford it (food, insurance, vets), and more importantly, can I get two greyhounds in a Ford Focus? :D

Of course you can get 2 Greyhounds into a Ford Focus, though how much room would be left for you is another question.  If you drop the back seat the dogs will have plenty of room but if you are trying to get two people, their luggage and two Greys will be a bit tight.  I suspect that the biggest problem would be headroom in the boot for the dogs, if they can manage with the back seat then you should be home and dry.

I've always said that for two greys, it's definitely 2x the money, but 0x more work, and 4x more fun.  

Greys are generally so docile on leash that I find it no more trouble to walk 2 than to walk 1.  (I start having trouble with 3.)  Not as much guilt leaving 2 at home compared to 1.  Spats will happen occasionally, but it almost always works out ok.  

One easy way to make more space in a car is to fill in the rear footwells with something until they are level with the back seat.  I started out with stacks of newspapers, then graduated to an old piece of foam mattress, cut up to fit.  That way I can make the hump in the middle level with the seats, too.  Cover the whole thing with a rug, and suddenly there is a spacious lounge for multiple hounds.  If you need to have the back seat for humans, it just takes a minute to clear everything out and you only have to warn your passengers that they will be covered in dog fur.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I should have added that there is a walk on the first Sunday of most months which starts at the Lark Lane entrance to Sefton Park which is run by Cheshire and Merseyside Greyhound Trust. They often need foster homes for their dogs…just saying.

Good to hear about the Ford Fiesta as that’s the car I’m looking at next (I currently have a small SUV but Buddy hates it because he can’t see out of the windows and it’s hard for him to get in the boot)

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

(I currently have a small SUV but Buddy hates it because he can’t see out of the windows and it’s hard for him to get in the boot)

greyhound torture device 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 6:45 PM, MerseyGrey said:

I should have added that there is a walk on the first Sunday of most months which starts at the Lark Lane entrance to Sefton Park which is run by Cheshire and Merseyside Greyhound Trust. They often need foster homes for their dogs…just saying.

Good to hear about the Ford Fiesta as that’s the car I’m looking at next (I currently have a small SUV but Buddy hates it because he can’t see out of the windows and it’s hard for him to get in the boot)

Rumble has grown accustomed to getting excited and putting his front paws on the seat, then waiting for us to lift his big bum in for him. :lol He's capable of getting in himself, but for whatever reason, be it lack of co-ordination or laziness, he prefers his bum lift now. 

I didn't know the walks were every month! I actually went to the Halloween one, and met a lot of lovely hounds. Although Rumble loves meeting other sighthounds I think he was a bit overwhelmed, as when we stopped at the cafe near the lake he wouldn't speak to anyone. :ph34r I don't think he's seen so many hounds since he stopped racing, poor sod. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fostering. So far I'm finding it more difficult than expected but it's been really helpful to have a trial run.

Good for you for fostering,  What things are you finding difficult?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

9 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Good for you for fostering,  What things are you finding difficult?  

My foster hound has a racing injury and is supposed to rest up but she really loves her walks and doesn't want to be separated from my dog. Balancing the different needs of each is quite challenging. I don't want my dog to suffer because of my choice to foster and I underestimated how hard it would be to split my time between them.

I also wasn't expecting her to enthusiastically whack my husband hard in the nuts before every walk. Im pretty sure it's ment as a sign of affection but he doesn't appreciate it.

:lol   

It can be challenging to balance multiple dogs.  

Can you walk both together for a short period, then drop the injured dog back home with hubby and some treats and then carry on with the other? 

This worked well for me over the years when I have had senior dogs that just like a very short walk.

17 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

:lol   

It can be challenging to balance multiple dogs.  

Can you walk both together for a short period, then drop the injured dog back home with hubby and some treats and then carry on with the other? 

This worked well for me over the years when I have had senior dogs that just like a very short walk.

I have tried that but both dogs got upset. At the moment my husband takes our foster out first and as soon as they are out of sight I leave with my dog and take her a different route. When my husband gets in he gives a long lasting treat otherwise our foster will stand at the door and wait for us to come home.