Afraid of heat

I have a newly adopted jindo mix. Rescued from a Korean meat farm.

Bada was doing great until I turned the heat. It's a heat pump, so cycles off and on as needed with floor vent forced hot air. I'm not 100% sure if it's a smell (which I can't detect) or sound, but it scares the daylights out of her and she runs outside (dog door)and refuses to come back in. Its getting so that even when it's off she's afraid to come back inside. 

So before I traumatized her further by forcing her stay inside while the heat's on, can anyone suggest anything else? 

Perhaps try having her on-leash beside you in the house. Then when the heat pump kicks on try to distract her with treats.

You might see a few other tips if you search here on GT for "ceiling fan".

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Consistent distraction-redirection.

And she may need a course of anti anxiety meds or CBD calming aids to help her work through this.  I would also do a bunch of DAP diffusers, and probably a collar, to help keep her calm.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Our little Mario, who came here from Qatar in June, is also very wary of our kitchen wall furnace.  Thankfully not to the extent of Bada.

I've been bringing him into the kitchen to lay in a bed beside me…often have to use a slip-lead….but out of direct blast from the vent. It does take quite a bit of scratches and vocal reassurance to get him to stay put.  
He has improved a lot this week, so I hope that Bada will relax too.

In contrast, the others scramble to see who can get onto the bed that lays directly in the path of the heat. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

No training expertise here, but eager to learn more about Bada and how you got her and maybe even see a picture or two!  Congratulations!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Could you play her favourite game with her while slowly getting closer to the vent? No pressure on the dog, just lots of distraction and praise. If she looks uncomfortable you give her a bit more space and carry on with the game. 

As a temporary solution I would keep the heat off while she's in the house. Stick it on a timer or get an app to turn it on when you are out walking her. We did this with the air con last summer because my dog hates drafts.  

Is it the blowing air that's the problem or the sound and vibration of the heat pump? Can you run one without the other?

If it's the air blowing can you shut off the vent in the room she's in?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

That's great news :D

Hopefully in time she will learn that the heating poses no threat now she can experience it from a safe place.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

We tried some meds, which made her worse. But she did great yesterday without meds. 

Of course she went flying out the door this morning when I had to switch to electric heat when the brand new heat exchange broke. Again. :angryfire

The electric heat is 30 years old and not used much so it did have a smell to it.