Our first corn?

So Violet has been noticeably lame in her back left leg. Both I and her PT thought this was just a progression of her disc issue, but today I found this! 

PXL_20201013_165215967_hybryu.jpg

PXL_20201013_165220852_kd7wuq.jpg

It explains so much assuming it's a corn like I think. While this is my first corn in a grey, I used to read the posts about them. Is there anything new these days or should we just try duct tape? Doesn't seem ready for hulling. We do have a therapaw and I am working on getting a second one so she can hopefully walk normally, but she did fairly well with just the one today. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It's a corn and unfortunately there is nothing new. :(

Try duct tape, Burt's Bees hand salve, corn plasters/ointment etc. etc. If the corn is persistent some owners recommend a small operation where the tendon to the toe is cut so it becomes a sprung toe which means no pressure is put through it when walking. That's OK but it puts more pressure on the other toes and what happens if she gets a corn on one of those?

I've been through nearly all the "remedies" in the last couple of years as my Grace has three corns on separate toes on one one of her front feet. It is now a case of managing her corns by grinding them down with a dog nail grinder and taking her to the local park in the car so she only walks on grass. If she does have to walk on a hard surface she is perfectly happy with a boot on just that one foot.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

We've been using the Burt's Bees Hand Salve on Kate's corns.  It does soften them up enough that you can eventually hull them out, but so far, they come right back.  To complicate matters, she has them on multiple feet and multiple toes, so it is an ongoing battle. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

2 hours ago, macoduck said:

Thanks, I submitted my request to join and was approved this morning. I will try to dig in soon. 

By the way, I highly doubt the surgery is an option for us given her other issues and this is her first corn (at age 11) so we'll try other alternatives first. 

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The "big new thing" is a variation on the theme of starving the corn of air.  No one knows why or how this works, but it does.  :dunno   Using duct tape or some other type of covering right over the corn.  The current "thing" is using nail polish to cover it, reapplying when it wears or falls off.  Some people report success within a few days, others say a few weeks, but eventually the corn does sort of just fall out.  Some even had had the corn not return, so it's worth a try at least.

Doesn't matter the brand or style or color, just so it covers the corn completely (only the corn and not large areas of the pad).  Some soak and moisturize in between applications, some don't.  Grinding it down in between might help, or not.

The flexor tenotomy surgery is always an option.  It's super quick, and I think might even be able to be done under lighter sedation.  The recovery time is next to nothing and many dogs reportedly walk out of the clinic afterwards with no limp.  I, personally, have the same questions mentioned above, but if I had an older dog with leg issues already, who developed a corn on a "good" leg, and she really was struggling to walk, I might consider it anyway.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks! Does it seem like the nail polish is working better than the duct tape? Or just easier to apply? 

I looked on the group briefly and saw a mention of one dogs corn likely being from nails that were too long. We did go through a phase recently where I wasn't on the ball with her nail trims. We're back on it, but hoping maybe that's all it was that prompted this and if we can get rid of it, it won't return. Probably wishful thinking. :P

Just had my first corn also.  I posted in another thread.  But this is what worked for me: epsom salt soaks twice a day with Burt's Bee's hand salve applied after soaks.  I did this about two weeks, then the corns started to raise up from the pad, once I could see them I used duct tape on them.  I left the duct tape on until it needed to be replaced (sometimes in a day or sometimes two days).  After about two weeks of duct tape I was able to get the corns out, one was very small, the other larger.  I tried the nail polish for about a day but Jack was not cooperative about letting it dry thoroughly.  I did get some colloidal silver and put a drop on the pads that had corns every other day, there is a lot of information about that on the Greyhounds with corns page also.  Good luck, I was overwhelmed at first but now that I have gone through the process I feel much better prepared if they return.  I now make sure Jack's nails are kept short all the time.  I also used a Therapy boot for Jack when he was having difficulty walking which did help a lot.

I cut the tape round, a little bigger than the corn, sometimes it would stay on for a few days and sometimes not.  I checked it several times a day, if it was not sticking or covering the corn I replaced it.  Also I had to make sure Jack's pad was dry I pressed it on and had him stand on it for a short period to make sure it stayed on.  It was a trial and error process, you will find out what works.  Also you have to get the good duct tape, like gorilla, it is really sticky.  Good luck

yup, corn.  Our angel Larry had them on 3 of his 4 legs (and both front feet) so with his back/LS spine issues, it was really tough :(  we'd get them hulled and I swear they'd come back even faster.

I had good luck using the Dremmel to flatten them to the level of the pad (or even more so it was "indented") and did that the last year or so as he was terrified of the vets and he wasn't able to get in and out of my car since December. :(

good luck! :grouphug 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Re duct tape vs nail polish - I don't think it makes any difference.  Just whatever is easier for you and Violet.  YES!  Short mnails do seem to make a big differencevery quickly.

Colloidal silver does seem to have a benefit for most corn dogs, especially applied right after hulling.  Your results may vary.

Getting the duct tape to stick is a process - the pad needs to be clean and dry and NOT have a recent application of moisturizer.  Wait an hour or so at least after moisturizing to put on the duct tape.  I don't know if that applies to nail polish or not.  I suspect not.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Well I randomly took a stab at hulling it today and it took a good bit of gentle work because the one side was well attached, but I got it out!! :yay

We're about to go for a mini hike so we'll see how she does. I'll still out boots on her since her paw pad is likely to be tender.