Stinky Girl

As I understand it, Greyhounds typically do not have a strong doggy odor. My first Grey, Wendy, had no odor at all except on the top of her head. It had a soft, sweet scent.

When Lola came home 2 years ago, she reeked !  :puke   I blamed it on kennel-smell.  After a bath, the odor did tone down.  Several baths later, Lola still has a strong, unpleasant odor.  It is not noticeable unless you directly smell her (are you like me and love to 'breathe in' your dogs?).  BTW, Lola is also an itchy girl. She takes Apoquel to manage her allergies.

I'm beginning to wonder if the odor and the itch are yeast related.  :dunno   Will consult with the vet in a couple of weeks when we go for vaccinations but I do want to hear if any of you GT'ers have any experience with stinky Greys.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Our first grey was a much stinkier guy than our new one, even though the new one is loves be outside and is not good at bathing himself :wacko:

I honestly wonder if Bismarck (new grey) not being a big licker and his excellent teeth/breath are the reasons he's not that stinky. Our former grey (Dawkins) had bad teeth, bad breath, and licked/cleaned himself as you expect a dog would do [omg we're trying to sleep, stop licking!]. I'm thinking those bad breath germs getting spread all over his body might have had something to do with it. Biz needs a bath on occasion, but smells nice a lot of the time (he's very pleasant to breathe in).

Does Lola smell like yeast/bread/beer? How are her teeth/breath?

It all comes down to the flora on their bodies, I'm guessing. We would use an oatmeal type shampoo on Dawkins and a diluted apple cider vinegar spritz at the end of a bath, and that would keep him less stinky the longest.

Lola’s breath is neutral. The odor from her body reminds me of moldy bread.  Foul. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

UTIs and hooded vulva situations can also be very smelly, but if she has skin issues I would suspect that's the issue.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

8 hours ago, Remolacha said:

I would guess it has to do with her itchy skin. Skin problems often come with bad odors. Has she seen a dermatologist?

Not yet. I'm guessing that's the next step.

10 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

I know with terrier over bathing will produce a fishy odor. Bushing and combing brings out the natural oils and cleans the coat with a yerrier.

It sounds or should o say smells like a yeast infection? 

The odor is unpleasant. Sort of sour or like spoiled food. Thankfully, it's not noticeable unless you actually sniff her. It's unlike any other doggy odor I've ever experienced. I actually like dog-smell even wet-dog smell. Not this one.  

My podenco has some occasional yeasty skin issues. 4-Legger shampoo was recommended by Dr Melissa Shelton from www.animalEO.info

https://www.4-legger.com/  You can contact them to see which product would be best. We use the lemongrass formula.

From this page you can see your choices AND if this is a yeast issue, also order Yeasty Beasty essential oil. Looks like currently they only have the NEAT version of Yeasty Beasty. https://www.4-legger.com/collections/organic-solutions-to-support-your-dogs-yeast-or-bacterial-skin-infection/products/yeastybeasty-to-support-clearance-of-skin-infections-itching-and-promotion-of-dermal-comfort-by-animaleo

https://www.4-legger.com/collections/organic-solutions-to-support-your-dogs-yeast-or-bacterial-skin-infection

I can't say enough good things about 4-Legger shampoo and Yeasty Beasty (and all the other products from Dr Shelton's http://animaleo.info/  also on FB as animalEO.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

7 minutes ago, JohnF said:

Are you sure it's not an anal gland issue?

Nope. Not a bum-stink issue. :)

2 minutes ago, macoduck said:

My podenco has some occasional yeasty skin issues. 4-Legger shampoo was recommended by Dr Melissa Shelton from www.animalEO.info

https://www.4-legger.com/  You can contact them to see which product would be best. We use the lemongrass formula.

From this page you can see your choices AND if this is a yeast issue, also order Yeasty Beasty essential oil. Looks like currently they only have the NEAT version of Yeasty Beasty. https://www.4-legger.com/collections/organic-solutions-to-support-your-dogs-yeast-or-bacterial-skin-infection/products/yeastybeasty-to-support-clearance-of-skin-infections-itching-and-promotion-of-dermal-comfort-by-animaleo

https://www.4-legger.com/collections/organic-solutions-to-support-your-dogs-yeast-or-bacterial-skin-infection

I can't say enough good things about 4-Legger shampoo and Yeasty Beasty (and all the other products from Dr Shelton's http://animaleo.info/  also on FB as animalEO.

Great minds think alike, Ducky. I was considering Yeasty Beasty. Thanks for the recommendation!

13 minutes ago, JohnF said:

I don't think Trimethylaminuria is seen in dogs. 

It's not. She doesn't smell fishy at all, though. 

11 minutes ago, LaFlaca said:

Great minds think alike, Ducky. I was considering Yeasty Beasty. Thanks for the recommendation!

Irene, Hada only gets bathed every other month at a groomer. Her fur has an oilness to it and she has the podenco "broken coat", so all around her shoulders and neck is thick hair the sheds heavily. My groomer loves the 4-legger shampoo. If Hada nibbles on her feet I give them a spritz with the Yeasty Beasty from a glass spray bottle w/ distilled water. (Instructions on the animalEO page.)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Can confirm, Hada is absolutely lovely and doesn't smell at all. :heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

3 hours ago, macoduck said:

Her fur has an oilness to it and she has the podenco "broken coat", so all around her shoulders and neck is thick hair the sheds heavily.

Check out instructions on hand stripping. Broken coated dogs do really well, oilness will dissipate! Broken coated dogs oroduce extra oil to compensate for having oil removed! There are a ton of videos on doing it. The coat tightens up and is insulating. I hand stripoed my welsh terrier for 13 years. I criedwhen I shaved him since he was too old to be groomed that much. Ducky, I have an entire set of hand stripping tools and can let you know which ones work the best on general coat. It's a very Zen activity for both you and the hound.when I was thinking maybe POD I was thinking broken coated for the shear pleasure of grooming. 

On 6/5/2019 at 11:21 AM, LaFlaca said:

Lola’s breath is neutral. The odor from her body reminds me of moldy bread.  Foul. 

Yeast secondarily to allergies.  My poor Stan had horrific allergies -when he had a flair it was recommended (by a vet derm) to bathe him 2-3 times a week.

37 minutes ago, tbhounds said:

Yeast secondarily to allergies.  My poor Stan had horrific allergies -when he had a flair it was recommended (by a vet derm) to bathe him 2-3 times a week.

She absolutely does have atopic dermatitis. It started last summer with severe itching and hives. Her skin turned strawberry red. The Apoquel helps but it's not been a magic bullet.

Ah, memories of Nutmeg and her delicious, bury-your-nose-in-her-neck cedar chips smell.

I hope you get Lola sorted out.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

44 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Ah, memories of Nutmeg and her delicious, bury-your-nose-in-her-neck cedar chips smell.

I hope you get Lola sorted out.  

Thank you.

My first Grey, Wendy, smelled like pancakes on the top of her head. 

Furfume!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

13 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

Furfume!

Ahhhhhhhh...:wub: