Tell Me What You Know About Bladder Stones

There was a yorkie on Next Door advertised as "for free - have no time". I e-mailed a friend of mine that runs a non 501 © 3 rescue about him and she said "grab him he'll go in a minute". I grabbed him and he came peeing blood. She took him to her vet and he gave him Clavomox (sp). That was 10 days ago and nothing has happened. He has to pee blood every 2-3 hours. I told her he was drinking too much and she sad that she didn't have a lot of money to spend on this dog. So I went all the way to her vet. a week ago. He took x-rays (she paid for) and blood panel) (which I paid for).

His RBC and and bun were high but not excessively so. He has a bladder stone somewhere between the size of a quarter and a poker chip. The doctor showed me one huge one. I had to buy a $40 bag of Royal Canin OS - which is probably a year's worth.

When he goes to pee every 1-3 hours he struggles for 5 minutes. Tonight he had just been out and I heard him whining in the kitchen and went in to find the tsp. of bloody pee he forces out so I think he's in pain but that vet doesn't or doesn't care.

He is breaking my heart (as well as me not sleeping for 10 days). A vet friend of mine said diet alone will not break up a stone that size.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Sounds to me like he needs to have surgery to remove the stone. I had a cat who had bladder stones and while he did not pee blood, when he peed it looked like it was coming out in a spray rather than a stream. I would get that little one to the vet for surgery. Once the stones are gone the diet should maintain his health. Right now we have a cat who was blocked a few months ago (not the same cat as the first one I mentioned) and he is on a strict diet now, after being catheterized to get unblocked. But your pups stone(s) sounds like it is beyond cathing.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I AM NOT going to let this "little man" (his call name :blush) hurt. I will call my vet and yorkie rescue in a couple of hours. Poor guy. I agree that he needs surgery. This will be my last lost dog soul rescue.. I just haven't slept in 10 days, Little Man was whining to go out which is why am I am up and crabby.

Edited by Hubcitypam

:( Hope you can get him treated. Thanks for helping him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Pam, I never meant to imply that you wouldnt seek proper treatment for him....I know you would do anything for a dog in need. Was just giving my experience.

I hope he is feeling better very soon!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Thank you, Pam, you have the biggest heart! Yes, I agree, surgery is in order. I have two cats with FLUTD, I think with them it's crystals, not actual stones, and diet controls them.

We'll get Ducky to send you her Charlie, then those two can go out all night together. :P

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Did the vet not do a UA??? It should have shown clearly what kind of crystals and therefore what kind of stone(s) they are. There are four main kinds of bladder stones dogs can get, and only for one of them (though it is the most common) can diet even hope to make a difference.

I would avoid (and probably negatively review on all platforms) any vet who didn't do a UA first thing for something that's clearly a urinary problem.

Regardless of type, it seems clear that surgery is in order, fingers crossed and happy thoughts to this pup! Please keep us updated.

Pulled every string I knew and my friend that knows every rescue peep in Dallas got Operation Kindness to take him on. He goes in the morning. Give them a shout out if you can. I've told him all night to be thankful he's little and cute as the dickens. It's like being a buxom blonde. :) Still mad at vet but I didn't get to choose him.

https://www.operationkindness.org/#loaded

Edited by Hubcitypam

Yet another great job Pam. Yay!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

For what it's worth, my dog developed stones on Allopurinol and when he went in for surgery he went into anaphylactic shock before they even started the operation. As a result my husband searched high and low something that would help dissolve the stones. He found an herb called Chanca Piedra (colloquially known in South America as "the stone breaker") and we started giving it to him and crossed our fingers (we extrapolated dosage based upon body weight). Within months the stones were gone. Our vet was astonished. And we shared the information with a group whose dogs also had crystals or stones. The people who tried it reported the stones to have gone away. It's all anecdotal, but I thoughtI would share. Of course, if he has a blockage he cannot wait for the herb to work.

finalsiggy.jpg