Corn? Any Experienced Peeps See A Corn?

We are down on Anna Maria Island for a few weeks and are walking the pups a lot as usually they run in the fenced yard and only down our paved street to the beach and back when home. Here however there is road construction going on with gravel in many area and then there are shelled drives, etc. that he has been walking on. On Monday, a day after getting here, he started a slight limp and I looked at his paw and saw a little blood on one pad or it appeared to be blood but it was dusk and hard to see clearly. We cleaned his paw that evening and next day The seemed to decrease and we continued to walk him. The following day there only a very slight limp if that as he was dragging as it's very warm here. This morning went to take him out for his pre breaky walk and he is holding his paw up. I took a look and could not see much initially and got him outside and once we walked a short ways to some grass he seemed a lot better and only limped when walking back on some pavement and gravel. Now inside on the tile floors, he hardly puts any weight on it so I really looked closely and it seems that it is his pad but I don't see blood but it looks to be shredded a bit and now to me what looks like a round mark. I dampened it to get another look and this is what I see, thoughts?

38745533930_00cb7b0cd2_c.jpg

40555853651_515b634728_c.jpg

Thanks for any insights!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

It looks like a corn. You can hull it and give him some pain relief but they usually grow back.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

The plan today is to soak in warm water and Epsom salts as I was thinking it could be foreign matter in his pad? Tough to say between corn or that but either way several goods soaks should help. Just not sure whether to bandage or just get duct tape and cover? The former if it's something in there and the latter if it's a corn.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

See what it looks like after a soak.

It's hard to see in the pictures - it could be a foreign body, or even some sort of abrasion, or a corn. Or something else. If the sides begin to separate from the pad tissue, I would say corn, though it might take a few soaks to get it going. If you have an ultra moisturizer, or something for calloused (human) feet/heels, you can rub some of that in to help soften things up. Burt's Bees Hand Salve is what we use, but any non-petroleum-based moisturizer will work. IMO, things like Bag Balm tend to dry the pads somewhat and that's the opposite of what you want to happen.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

First soak was done and still can't see much more. It appears some of the top layer of the pad is off but that is about it. Will soak it again multiple times and will use Shea butter on it to moisture it up. Also made a vet appt tomorrow at 3:40pm and hope they find nothing serious or he is better tomorrow. Of course our minds are going where one does not want to go so we'll try to keep positive thoughts.

Corn. Without a doubt.

I tried a topical ointment with zero results. Duct tape worked amazingly though. The duct tape basically blocks off air to the corn and believe it or not, it will just fall out. Well what works for one doesn't work for others, but's what I worked after all previous soaking and creams wouldn't. Soaking will make the paw more comfortable to walk on, and IMO if it's not very deep, there is the chance that it will come out because everything is soft and pliable.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Looks like a corn to me. I have been pretty successful with duck tape. The tape also cushions his pad and makes walking more comfortable.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It sure looks like a corn. if you want to go the soaking road 1st ok . Burt's Bee hand salve is what I find works best. Bag Balm & Musher's secret really didn't help .

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

It looks like a corn to me. Misty had several of them that would recur but could be treated. Many vets have not heard of them--it's kind of a special greyhound issue. I used corn pads for humans, re-enforced with duct tape to keep them on. The corn would come out after a few days. Some would grow back, others didn't. Good luck with your grey's corn!

How’s it looking after a few soaks? I re-read your intial post and I’m still not convinced of a corn. Corns don’t bleed. The surface looks too much like healthy tissue and not keratosis. Could be wrong but, I don’t think I would attempt hulling just yet.

Sorry for the tardiness of my response. Of course he was walking well after a few soaks and bandaging his feet for a day. Still went to the vet to have him checked out and he said that it looked like only a blister and was now healing over. I always got to remember Stewie is a huge baby, like massive and he is no Charlie when it comes to any pain. So great news all round and he is walking like a champ!

This is what I cannot believe though. As stated in the first post we are staying on Anna Maria Island, FL for a few weeks to get away from winter, albeit it's been the warmest one so far back home. The vet had not seen a Grey in ages and he brought in two vet techs so they view him and handle him. Strange when there is a track within 10 miles. On top of all this, the visit was ONLY $25!!! I have not had that cheap a vet bill since like 1980 or so. Back home that would have been the standard $69.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

:thumbs-up

Glad it was nothing too serious.

Greyt price!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg