Poo

Guest Jewelberry

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are loose all the time, then check the instructions for the food you are feeding to make sure you are feeding the correct amount for her weight. Overfeeding a richer food is often the most common cause of loose stools.

If the stools just get looser through the day but are fine in the morning, that's pretty normal.

You can try adding Olewo carrots to each meal. They are dehydrated carrots that help to firm the stool. Basically, 1 TBSP of carrots in about 6 ounces of hot or boiling water. This makes enough for both daily meals, just divide it between the meals. I make it every night for the next day.

Others will suggest a food switch to something like IAMS green bag, but if your current food agrees with her otherwise, a food change may not be needed. Some people add pumpkin or yogurt as well, but it depends on the dog, In our case, those 2 things make the problem worse and do not work for Rocket.

Also be sure to make only one change at a time including any change of treats given so you know what works and what doesn't.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Jewelberry

Just today also noticed little drops of blood on the carpet, thick like fake blood. Dont know where it is coming from. We have been feeding her expensive grain free food. Maybe try the cheaper brand? Our schnauzer is on the green Iams food, has been her whole life.

Sounds like time for a vet appt. If just loose stools, that may sometimes be the food not agreeing with the dog but blood can be indicative of something else that may need meds.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

If the stools just get looser through the day but are fine in the morning, that's pretty normal.

No way to get them firm all day? I just started using the carrot stuff and it was like a miracle--firmer in the morning after using it just once the night before. But then looser through the day. This morning Percy went 4 times in a row when I let him out and the last was much looser than the first. I hate if he goes on someone's lawn because it's so hard to pick up. I try to keep him to the wooded areas.

What is the IAMS green bag--I've seen a few different green bags. One is sensitive stomach--that one looks like decent ingredients. The other is I guess just regular.

iams-proactive-health-sensitive-skin-sto

iams-proactive-health-adult-large-breed.

Olewo Carrots. Have used for years with great results. Nice firm poops, less gas. Helps soothe the digestive track. Order thru Amazon. If you go to Olewo USA and go to the testimonial page and look for my boy Carter. Go to Greytalk and do a search on Olewo and see How many hounds it has helped.

Sounds like time for a vet appt. If just loose stools, that may sometimes be the food not agreeing with the dog but blood can be indicative of something else that may need meds.

Blood equals Vet visit.

Make it easy on your Vet and your dog's by taking a fresh poop sample with you.

Hookworms can also be an issue even if the stool sample is negative. They are hard to get rid of and often require multiple treatments.

In my house, we would treat for worms several times for 3 or 4 weeks in a row.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Definitely a veterinary fecal test. Your vet will need to determine the root cause of blood droplets. If parasites are ignored, they can become much harder to eradicate later, and your hound's health could be at risk. The fecal sample should be very fresh. If longer than 30 minutes from hound's stool output to vet's office, refrigerate poop until you're ready to drive to the vet's office. Keep poop chilled during transport also.

ETA: I assume she's already been spayed and not in heat.

Edited by 3greytjoys

We fecaled and wormed Rex at least ten times - he would sometimes have bloody mucus like a shroud over his poops. I remember one fun Easter coming home to a kitchen full of bloody poo..The standing script for Flagyl did nothing.

Iams fixed him. Doesn't matter which...it's the beet pulp. More than a decade ago there were two kinds - green (chicken) and red (lamb). I think Rex ate green bag proactive health as it is called these days.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

A question:

Is this a new dog that had this since you adopted her or an established dog with a new situation?

I'd suggest getting a fecal screen by your vet and also weighing her while you are there. Make sure she weighs what you expect.

We adopted our boy the last week of October and he had hookworms through the end of Feb. He is still battling the loose stool to diarrhea bug.

Here is some of what we've attempted:

Boiled rice and chicken - not much impact at all.

Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Salmon/Rice - mild impact.

Olewo Carrots - 3 TBSP per day. Moderate impact.

Plain Yogurt - No impact.

Metronidazole (flagyl) - 500 mg per day, positive impact. 250 mg per day, mild impact.

Pumpkin - negative impact.

Fortiflora - mild impact.

I've read a lot of people saying stools get looser through the day. But I'm noticing something different with Percy. The more he goes in a short time, the looser it is. So he'll go in the morning, it's fine. But sometimes he'll either go, then wander around the yard and go again (and maybe even a 3rd or 4th time), or he'll often go out 10 or 15 minutes later and go again. The subsequent poops are looser and looser. Sometimes he's only squeezing out a drip--not sure why he bothers.

Same later in the day. He'll go and it's fine, then go again (maybe twice on one walk, or goes just before a walk and goes again on the walk) and the second one is loose.

So if I could just get him going mabye 2-3 times a day, spread out, it would be fine, but he'll go 2-3 times in a row and do that 3 times/day. It's like whatever poop is higher up in his colon and hasn't had as much time to sit around in there is loose. Anyone else have this?

And will he settle into just going once each time, instead of 2-3 times in 10 minutes? We've had him less than two weeks. He's on Taste of the Wild high prairie (I think that's the one.) I use Olewo carrots (THANK YOU greytalk for telling me about this miracle supplement). I'm thinking of either switching him to TOTW Sierra, which is lamb and lower protein, or the IAMS green bag since a lot of people recommend it and it's half the price.

I've read a lot of people saying stools get looser through the day. But I'm noticing something different with Percy. The more he goes in a short time, the looser it is. So he'll go in the morning, it's fine. But sometimes he'll either go, then wander around the yard and go again (and maybe even a 3rd or 4th time), or he'll often go out 10 or 15 minutes later and go again. The subsequent poops are looser and looser. Sometimes he's only squeezing out a drip--not sure why he bothers.

Same later in the day. He'll go and it's fine, then go again (maybe twice on one walk, or goes just before a walk and goes again on the walk) and the second one is loose.

So if I could just get him going mabye 2-3 times a day, spread out, it would be fine, but he'll go 2-3 times in a row and do that 3 times/day. It's like whatever poop is higher up in his colon and hasn't had as much time to sit around in there is loose. Anyone else have this?

And will he settle into just going once each time, instead of 2-3 times in 10 minutes? We've had him less than two weeks. He's on Taste of the Wild high prairie (I think that's the one.) I use Olewo carrots (THANK YOU greytalk for telling me about this miracle supplement). I'm thinking of either switching him to TOTW Sierra, which is lamb and lower protein, or the IAMS green bag since a lot of people recommend it and it's half the price.

Just going to state my observations with Rogue, I don't know the science behind it at all!

He's on Fromm's Gold right now, and Olewo carrots in the PM meal. Poops 2-3 times a day, solid and small. If I take him for a walk at the park, he will poop at least 3 times (we walk for 30-60 minutes). First will be okay, second will be diarrhea, and any after that will be the strained squirts. Does not happen at all at home. I just assumed it's a combo of anxiety from being not at home, exercise, and wanting to mark over other dog/animal poop.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

If his fecal screen came back negative for hookworms/parasites, ask your vet if they would recommend putting your dog on metronidazole (flagyl) for 10-14 days. While he's on that, supplement with Fortiflora or Proviable. Keep using the O Carrots as a supplement.

We did this and it worked for the most part. However, he's off the metronidazole and the the loose stool/diarrhea have returned, basically as described by everyone. I'm debating asking for another round (4th) of the metronidazole, but there are risks to his liver/organs with prolonged use, so I'm trying to give him a break. He got his first clean fecal (oxymoron) test at the end of February and I'm sending another sample next week. If that is negative and we're free of the hookworms, then I'll probably ask for another round of metronidazole.

One thing I'll suggest based on my 4 months of experiences, proceed slowly. Do one thing at a time and evaluate it over a week or so.

Best of luck.

Just going to state my observations with Rogue, I don't know the science behind it at all!

He's on Fromm's Gold right now, and Olewo carrots in the PM meal. Poops 2-3 times a day, solid and small. If I take him for a walk at the park, he will poop at least 3 times (we walk for 30-60 minutes). First will be okay, second will be diarrhea, and any after that will be the strained squirts. Does not happen at all at home. I just assumed it's a combo of anxiety from being not at home, exercise, and wanting to mark over other dog/animal poop.

Ok, so not just mine that has softer stools the more he poops all at once.

If his fecal screen came back negative for hookworms/parasites, ask your vet if they would recommend putting your dog on metronidazole (flagyl) for 10-14 days. While he's on that, supplement with Fortiflora or Proviable. Keep using the O Carrots as a supplement.

We did this and it worked for the most part. However, he's off the metronidazole and the the loose stool/diarrhea have returned, basically as described by everyone. I'm debating asking for another round (4th) of the metronidazole, but there are risks to his liver/organs with prolonged use, so I'm trying to give him a break. He got his first clean fecal (oxymoron) test at the end of February and I'm sending another sample next week. If that is negative and we're free of the hookworms, then I'll probably ask for another round of metronidazole.

One thing I'll suggest based on my 4 months of experiences, proceed slowly. Do one thing at a time and evaluate it over a week or so.

Best of luck.

Why put him on something if the fecal test is negative. Did you mean positive?

I think I'm going to keep things the same for a little while longer and then maybe switch food. Today he had a firm poop in the morning, then a semi-firm one on a walk around 10am, but didn't go multiple times on either outing, so that was good at least. I think the one on the walk would have picked up fine with the pooper-scooper, but it's harder to get it upwith a bag.

I feel like I should keep a diary of what he eats and when and how his poops are. I'm also trying to figure out the gas. Mostly he's ok, but sometimes it's really bad. I think he's fine with just food, but if he gets treats it can be bad. So far he doesn't love treats and will often turn them down when offered.

Why put him on something if the fecal test is negative. Did you mean positive?

Metronidazole is an antibiotic that helps kill bacteria in the digestive tract. Fortifllora is a probiotic to help restore the positive bacteria.

If the fecal screen is positive, your vet will probably prescribe Panacur or Drontal. (Panacur did not work at all for us, fyi. Drontal is very strong and my dog struggled to keep it down.)

If the screen is negative you can rule out hookworms and parasites and proceed with trying some other solutions like an antibiotic.

But dog is so new, just waiting is probably best if there are no hooks or parasites present.

Good luck!

Negative stool test does not mean no hookworms!! It means that there were no wormy bits in the sample tested. Hookworms a notorious for being hard to get rid of. They require multiple worming over several weeks, as was stated above.

In my house, we would treat for worms several times for 3 or 4 weeks in a row.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

A quick google search for hookworm symptoms--he doesn't have any of that. Loose stool, yes, but helped with the carrots.

As for his poo, if I could just limit how often he goes. Fine this morning, fine at 10:30 for a walk, fine at 2pm in the yard, then loose on our 4pm walk and then he went in the yard and did a little bit more that was loose. If he would have just gone at 2 and then not again until maybe 6 or bedtime, I think it would be fine.

I was just reading the ingredients on some training treats I got him--the little tiny treats--and they have beet pulp. So maybe I need to give him a bunch of training treats. They look pretty healthy. Except for pecan hulls, it's all ingredients I would eat.

Well, in my house, I would not worry about it much. My poop is never the same, so I don't expect my dogs poops to be the same.

Went to the vet today. Fecal results should be back tomorrow, but everything looks good (except his teeth--needs a cleaning). He weighs 66 lbs. His racing weight was 71 lbs. She said to put some weight on him. I saw stuff about weight on another thread, so I'll be careful not to let him get overweight.

As for poop getting softer the more they go in one "session", she said her dog (non-greyhound) is like that too. Guess there's not much that can be done except to try to not have him go so much.

I mentioned maybe switching to IAMS from ToTW. She said that's fine--that most dogs don't need grain-free. She seemed knowledgeable about food (knew ToTW has higher protein), and knowledgeable about greyhounds, so that's good. I've taken our 10 year old little dog to this vet her whole life. Never loved them because I feel like I'm always getting ripped off somehow (I'm looking into wellness plans and pet insurance--will search on the forums for that). But the vets seem ok. This was new vet and I liked her.

Maybe a little Fortiflora on your Cheerios? :chow

:angryfire:angryfire Is that supposed to be a potty joke? :angryfire:angryfire

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Went to the vet today. Fecal results should be back tomorrow, but everything looks good (except his teeth--needs a cleaning). He weighs 66 lbs. His racing weight was 71 lbs. She said to put some weight on him. I saw stuff about weight on another thread, so I'll be careful not to let him get overweight.

As for poop getting softer the more they go in one "session", she said her dog (non-greyhound) is like that too. Guess there's not much that can be done except to try to not have him go so much.

I mentioned maybe switching to IAMS from ToTW. She said that's fine--that most dogs don't need grain-free. She seemed knowledgeable about food (knew ToTW has higher protein), and knowledgeable about greyhounds, so that's good. I've taken our 10 year old little dog to this vet her whole life. Never loved them because I feel like I'm always getting ripped off somehow (I'm looking into wellness plans and pet insurance--will search on the forums for that). But the vets seem ok. This was new vet and I liked her.

Pet insurance, look into Healthy Paws.