Assisi Loop Study

They published a study in dogs. Haven't read the full publication yet, but this is from their post:

Assisi Animal Health wants to share important news in the management of pain and inflammation in animals. This just-completed study of our flagship product, the Assisi Loop®, has successfully demonstrated the clinical efficacy of our NPAID (Non-Pharmaceutical Anti-Inflammatory Device) in the practice of veterinary medicine. This university-conducted study of our FDA-cleared anti-inflammatory device demonstrates that its benefits for pain relief, formally found in humans, also extend to animalhealthcare.

A basic summary of main conclusions from the Loop IVDD Study is as follows:

-There was a statistically significant difference in the incisional pain level between Loop-treated and placebo patient groups. This pain benefit in the Loop-treated group got larger (more significant) the longer time went on.

-The Loop-treated group had lower levels of the biomarker GFAP when compared to the placebo group. GFAP is a structural protein that is released from astrocytes when neurological injury occurs. The fact that the Loop-treated patients had lower levels of GFAP could mean that the Loop has a neuroprotective effect.

-The Loop-treated group had a statistically greater degree of recovery of proprioception compared to the control group. This may be evidence of the neuroprotective effects of the Loop.

Check out the full blog post here:

http://www.assisianimalhealth.com/blog/2018/02/assisi-animal-health-announces-completion-its-first-clinical-trial/

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I LITERALLY just found out about this 1 hour ago at Larry's Chiro treatment!!! She showed me the thing and says she's seen it work. I took the pamphlet to find out more about it. They charge $250 for it and it lasts 150 treatments (you don't replace the battery, you just throw the whole thing out and buy new :( ).

might have to think about this. His LS is so bad on his L1/L2 his whole back end is really getting bad. He'll be 11 on the 24th of this month.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I LITERALLY just found out about this 1 hour ago at Larry's Chiro treatment!!! She showed me the thing and says she's seen it work. I took the pamphlet to find out more about it. They charge $250 for it and it lasts 150 treatments (you don't replace the battery, you just throw the whole thing out and buy new :( ).

might have to think about this. His LS is so bad on his L1/L2 his whole back end is really getting bad. He'll be 11 on the 24th of this month.

Kim, who do you take Larry to for Chiropractic treatments?

I've been using it periodically with Violet. It's very difficult to say for certain whether it is helping or something else, but I do feel that I've seen increases and decreases in her disc issue symptoms based on use. We've had a longer stretch without it so I'm going to start it again when nothing else is changing amd if I see improvement I will finally be convinced.

Obviously this is a small study and was I believe funded by the loop folks, but there are already human studies to support its use so this is promising.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Could be a very good option for lots of dogs with back end issues. I'm going to ask my vet about this at our next visit. She's always up with new tech and treatments.

I wonder how well they would work with chronic toe dislocations?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The only thing I would say about the toe is the loop is fairly large. If you look at their website the effect extends out from the loop so as long as you had it around the foot it would technically still work, but keeping it in a good place night be tricky.

Violet has issues with 2 discs. The one in her neck is easy, she just wears the loop like a necklace. For the one at her hind end I try to get it at night when she's tired and just lay it on her, though they do sell a jacket type thing that will hold it in place anywhere on the torso. Proba oh easy enough to fashion something.

• 1 year later...
On 2/13/2018 at 7:12 PM, Newgreymom said:

Kim, who do you take Larry to for Chiropractic treatments?

sorry, just saw this now (over a year later!) -- he goes to IVRSM in Hanover Park and sees Dr. Starr:  https://www.integrativeveterinaryrehabilitationsportsmedicine.com/

Larry's been so bad now the past 3 weeks that I broke down and bought the Assisi Loop today at our monthly treatment :(  it's now $289 (plus tax) and I pray it will work.  Using it around his neck (like a collar) will be easy, but I'm going to have to rig one of his light fabric jackets with some loops of some kind to hold it in place on his back area.  He's always SO hot all the time and pants all the time, having even a light (very light) coat on him will probably make him melt....

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Not sure if you have pet insurance, but mine (Healthy Paws) pays for the loop. 

You can curve the loop a bit though bending it limits it's reach. I tend to do Violet's back end at night when she's sound asleep. The loop will usually stay in place if I rest it on her.

I used it recently for Violet's dog bite and my cut off finger and I am sold on its effectiveness for wound healing. I also think it does really help with her disc issues, but we have to do it daily. Fyi, for acute issues you can treat 4x/day.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:53 AM, NeylasMom said:

Not sure if you have pet insurance, but mine (Healthy Paws) pays for the loop. 

You can curve the loop a bit though bending it limits it's reach. I tend to do Violet's back end at night when she's sound asleep. The loop will usually stay in place if I rest it on her.

I used it recently for Violet's dog bite and my cut off finger and I am sold on its effectiveness for wound healing. I also think it does really help with her disc issues, but we have to do it daily. Fyi, for acute issues you can treat 4x/day.

How do you get them to pay for it?! Based on diagnosis? This is incredible news.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I don't really know. I just asked if they covered it and they said yes. My vet orders it so I just send them the invoice.

Thanks for posting this. Hope to never need it but it's good to know.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

At the time the original study was published there was another study already in peer review. I need to follow up and find that. 

I just ordered the Loop for Aiden. Sigh. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Information dated November 5, 2018 is posted here and includes a list of four, I presume, peer-reviewed papers:

1)     Alvarez LX, McCue J, Lam NK, Fox P, Gulce A. Effect of targeted PEMF therapy on canine post-operative hemilaminectomy: a double- blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial, Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.  Accepted for publication May 21, 2018.  Planned publication March/April 2019.

2)     N Zidan, J Fenn, E Griffith, P Early, C Mariani, K Munana, J Guevar,  N Olby. The Effect of Electromagnetic Fields on Post-Operative Pain and Locomotor Recovery in Dogs with Acute, Severe Thoracolumbar Intervertebral Disc Extrusion:  A Randomized Placebo-Controlled, Prospective Clinical Trial. Journal of Neurotrauma 2018, Vol. 5, No. 15

3)     Bragin DE, Statom GL, Hagberg S, Nemoto EM. Increases in microvascular perfusion and tissue oxygenation via pulsed electromagnetic fields in the healthy rat brain.  Neurosurg. 2015 May; 122(5):1239-47.

4)     JS Gaynor, S Hagberg, BT Gurfein, Veterinary applications of pulsed electromagnetic field therapy, Research in Veterinary Science, Volume 119, 2018:1-8.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks for posting those! I'm at Grapehounds so was going to search when I got back. They also have a mailing list where they share this type of info.

The newest exciting thing is they are looking at treating separation anxiety with the loop. Someone presented at the IVBM conference this past week. It looks like the video is available so I plan to watch and can share as well once I'm home. 

Just sent the form to my vet :goodluck. We had one or two sessions with the loop several years ago, but not enough to tell if it worked. My girl's poor wonky toes need some help!

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Well, it works wonders as a relaxant so far. :lol She was NEVER calm for acupuncture or chiro, so it's a huge plus to have an option to try at home where she's comfortable.

48465802431_36dd21103e.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds

Yay Sweep! :goodluck

I have to say, it appears to be actually working here :hope

Following this topic closely and will ask my Vet about it when we're there tomorrow.

But if they're nearly $300 in the USA, then it's probably at least $500 here  :(

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

23 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Following this topic closely and will ask my Vet about it when we're there tomorrow.

But if they're nearly $300 in the USA, then it's probably at least $500 here  :(

They're about $250 here. My vet used to be able to get a better price, but apparently the company told the vet they aren't doing that anymore. They also said we can order directly from them, which I didn't think was true, but so they told her. I'm not sure if that will make a difference with my insurance though, I have to check. 

I've already said this, but I'm sold on it. There are a LOT of variables with Violet, but I look for trends and one is that when I stop using it twice a day religiously she goes downhill. 

I like getting other feedback though. It's reassuring to hear when it helps others.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:25 PM, ramonaghan said:

Well, it works wonders as a relaxant so far. :lol She was NEVER calm for acupuncture or chiro, so it's a huge plus to have an option to try at home where she's comfortable.

48465802431_36dd21103e.jpg

Violet's PT posted on FB the other day. She's been using a device for horses that is more of a blanket, but uses the same technology and posted a photo of a horse in it standing calmly tied up. She said that normally that horse won't stay calm in that situation. Violet immediately took to it as well and would sort of pass out once it got going. I've used it and you don't feel much if anything. Occasionally I feel a little tingling almost so who knows. 

4 minutes ago, NeylasMom said:

Violet's PT posted on FB the other day. She's been using a device for horses that is more of a blanket, but uses the same technology and posted a photo of a horse in it standing calmly tied up. She said that normally that horse won't stay calm in that situation. Violet immediately took to it as well and would sort of pass out once it got going. I've used it and you don't feel much if anything. Occasionally I feel a little tingling almost so who knows. 

That's awesome. I'd say the challenge so far is making sure Sweep doesn't get so relaxed that she starts roaching! We're only on day 3, but she has been downright bouncy the last two mornings on our walks. I was skeptical of this "woo woo" device, but gotta admit I'm already feeling encouraged.

That's awesome. And we have the same issue with the roaching, lol.

This is definitely helping Aiden become more mobile, as well as bringing back his spark. He’s wagging and brighter than I’ve seen him in too long. Over the weekend he and Cletus went for a wonderful long walk and he was so improved. Twelve treatments so far. 

I did order the Loop directly from the co.  My vet filled out the script form from the website and emailed me a PDF to attach to my order. Easy peasy.