Mobility Harness For Old Non-Grey

Hi Greytalk. We have a 12 year old 100lb Airedale terrier who is starting to experience some mobility challenges. His back end is the weakest, but a lot of his weight is in his chest. Do you have any recommendations on harnesses that might help? Id like to get one now before we really need it. I also know the towel trick that will work in a pinch.

I found this one that looks pretty supportive: https://www.chewy.com/solvit-carelift-full-front-back/dp/53761#pdpGallery

What style have you had good luck with?

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Help Em Up harness, recommended by Zuri's orthopedist.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

There's the RuffWear WebMaster harness. It fits well and is very sturdy and well-made.

https://ruffwear.com/products/web-master-harness

There's this one on sale on Chewy too

https://www.chewy.com/outward-hound-pupboost-lift-harness/dp/113741

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

There's the RuffWear WebMaster harness. It fits well and is very sturdy and well-made.

I really like the RuffWear WebMaster. My vet was really impressed by it, also.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

We like the RuffWear WebMaster for unsteady pups. Basically a suitcase handle for dogs, and very sturdy. Scritchies to your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The Help Em Up harness was invaluable here.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I use the one shown from Chewy. For my tripod. I don’t keep it on her, but carry it in case she gets tired. It is a couple steps above the towel! It does have Velcro and can remain on the dog. It is like carrying a suitcase.

This is the one that DH liked too, but I worry about whether it offers enough back end support.

Help Em Up harness, recommended by Zuri's orthopedist.

This one looks great! I hesitate to spend that much money on something that we might not ever use though. I want to have it on hand in case he gets to the point where he loses mobility. Because if it happens, Murphys laws says it will happen when we really need a harness and dont have one.

We like the RuffWear WebMaster for unsteady pups. Basically a suitcase handle for dogs, and very sturdy. Scritchies to your boy.

Thanks. Hes doing pretty well, but hes pretty old for a big dog. Bless his heart, he still wants to chase cats and demands to get up on the bed every night. We hoist him up there now. He wont use stairs.

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I've been following this .....

Nixon at 12.5 is doing quite well. He had been struggling with going upstairs (13) but we put carpet tread on and that has helped. He was also started on Cartophen and there has been some improvement and he is volunteering to go up and down on his own.

Just as I was reading this thread last evening he did slip backwards :( and scared himself ... poor sweet boy.

He made it up quite easily at bedtime. Whew.

Anyway..I have been thinking about a harness for the past few months and decided we need one to have on hand. Going to a local shop that carries the Webmaster today and ordering one...

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I could not find the Webmaster anywhere in town :( and no one willing to order.

Ruffwears website tells me they do not ship Internationally, althiough I have emailed them to see if they will ship to me.

I can get one on Amazon, but they are well over $100.

I did find the 'Solvit Care Lift harness, that is linked to in the OP original post.

I brought it home and although it is the right size (Medium) in the body and length for a Greyhound, I can't get the 'leg straps' to fit properly. As well, all the hardware is clunky and heavy.

It would probably work OK for the more heavily coated Airdale that the OP was asking about, but it is not really suitable for our thin bony Greys.

So.. I am back to square one :(

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

Can you get the Help Em Up harness I recommended. It fit my male greyhound,is really well made, and has the option to use only the front portion if you prefer earlier on. Its not cheap either, but its worth it.

ETA: You might use the one you have to make sure he'll let you help him before you order a pricier one.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Updated to say that I finally found a Ruffwear dealer that has the Webmaster :yay

It's on the other side of the country, but did offer free shipping and even with taxes it was less than Amazon.

Whew.

Neither Nixon or Nigel had no issues with me putting on the other clunky one, so I am sure the Webmaster will be fine.

Keep in mind that none of my hounds have issues at this time but with their ages at 9, 10 and 12 I want to be prepared.

Nancy, I could have shipped one to you but this way will be faster.

This is the one that DH liked too, but I worry about whether it offers enough back end support.

RE: the WebMaster:

It really offers no back end support. It just gives the dog a handle for you to lift him.

The pluses are that it is *very* sturdy, as it was originally made for hiking with your dog. It fits greyhounds really well, and is very adjustable. And it's comfortable enough that they are OK to wear it 24/7 if necessary. It also doesn't *look* like a support harness and is a bit more stylish.

I did use it on my girl who basically couldn't walk due to ataxia and it worked fine, but if his hind end isn't working at all you might want something else.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The webmaster wont work for us, unfortunately. He needs the back end support.

I might order the less expensive Solvit harness and then it it looks like hes going to need support more often and for longer periods in the future, will add the Help Em Up. That is me looks awesome!

• 8 months later...

so, i did my usual GT research, Felix needed a harness with support for going up stairs and the car. Thank you all for posting. A good friend lent us a Help-Em-UP but it was ginormous- she had a huge male borzoi and there was no way it could be made small enough. So, lucky Felix- REI is having a 20% off sale and it carries the Web Master! It fit perfectly!No problems getting the front leg thru first, just turn the harness to the side as shown on the Ruff Wear web site. So, again, I post a SALE! https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=web+master&origin=web&ir=q%3Aweb+master&page=1

40402792_2017481491604490_61189701090976