Odd Behavior

Guest Neurobio7

Guest Neurobio7

First off, thanks for being such a great resource for Greyhound related info.

Background: We have a 7 year old grey who sleeps downstairs in his crate (the wood stairs are too hard for him to climb now). We have a 2.5 year old son and another one on the way.

A few months ago, he started peeing and pooping right next to his bed during the day (he never had an accident previously). I took him to the vet and did the whole senior blood panel, exam etc. and got no clear leads on anything. He stopped after that. He did drop around 10 pounds though, and still only eats half of what he used to.

He has always been whiny, but slept through the night. He now whines incessantly in the morning. I though it was a "having to pee issue", so I limited his water at night. It didn't help, and last night he started whining soon after he went to bed (around 9:45) until midnight. I prefer to use positive reinforcement, not punishment, but I slept downstairs and did the water bottle thing. I don't know if it worked, or he gave up and fell asleep. We can't have him whining all night with a newly potty trained toddler trying to sleep. Then this morning the toddler tripped near him (but didn't touch him) and the dog jumped up and caught him on the head with a tooth (I can't tell if he meant to nip him, but either way it ain't great). He seems lethargic a lot and sleeps all day (even for a grey).

Has anyone encountered this weird set of sudden onset behavior in a newly senior grey?

Thanks

Might he be in pain? Toothache, arthritis? Maybe he's sundowning? Check out this article from The Bark magazine - https://thebark.com/content/cognitive-dysfunction-syndrome.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I would suspect a pain issue too. Maybe a disc/back thing - LS, or a soft tissue injury. Particularly since he's not that old. 7 might technically be a senior age, but most will still be quite active and physically capable until 10 years old or older, barring injury or disease. Certainly capable of going up and down the stairs.

If he's going potty next to his bed, that says to me he's not sensing he needs to go until the need is urgent - then it's too late and he pees in the house. This sounds even more like a nerve issue in his back to me. Same for the not-eating and weight loss - who wants to eat when they're hurting?

Squirting him for whining is counter-productive, particularly if he's in pain. Get to the bottom of the pain and his whining will stop.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm guessing the answer of "let him sleep in your room" isn't going to be acceptable for you, so I'll just echo that punishing a dog for this sort of behavior (which is a clear indication something is wrong) is counterproductive.

And 7 isn't particularly old, so please discard the notion that you just have an old dog with issues.

Does he get any exercise?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Neurobio7

Thanks for your responses. We used to take very long walks twice a day, regardless of weather, and those have really slowed down to a crawl.

I have some knowledge regarding operant conditioning (I have a degree in clinical psychology and am finishing a PhD in neurogenetics), but in the middle of the night I couldn't let him whine it out (extinction) with a toddler and a pregnant wife trying to sleep. Back pain makes sense, as he doesn't seem as smooth at lying down. We also have a lot of change coming in the house (another child on the way, and getting ready to move (possibly far away) in the next couple of months). Any treatment you would recommend or testing for back pain?

7 isn't that old and with sudden changes in behavior in a dog that has been in a home for a while the first thing is always to evaluate potential medical causes. If walks have slowed down to a crawl because he is setting the pace, he's having issues with the stairs and is having trouble getting up and down that certainly points to a pain issue. Could be anything from arthritis to a disc issue. I would start with a consult with a very thorough orthopedic vet and go from there. Depending on what they find on exam/x-ray a follow-up with a neurologist may be warranted. There's also always the option of just starting with a short trial of an NSAID since you already have good blood work. If his behavior improves on the medication, then you know there's a pain related issue and you proceed with the vet visits.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Agree... a visit to the Vet is needed ASAP

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Neurobio7

Thanks. He isn't limping, but I just learned that he slipped on ice coming inside the other day. He can still get up and lay down, but he is certainly slower than he used to be. He has always been an anxious dog (he had S.A. when I first adopted him and went grey at 6).

Last night I gave him an NSAID with absolutely no improvement. In fact, instead of whining from 10 till midnight, he whined from 10 till 4am! I am known for infinite patience, but after two days of no sleep, I'm wearing thin. I know this doesn't rule out pain, but it doesn't add evidence that there is pain.

Yesterday he was kept in another room with a baby gate dividing them because he tried to bite our son when he tripped near him. When I got home, he slept in his dog bed from 6 till 10 in that separate room with no problem. Then when we all went to bed and he went in his crate (in that same room), he started whining.

My last thought would be that something happened and he is terrified of his crate so I will try letting him have the roam of the room and sleep in his dog bed. He entered the crate fine though and whines loudly every half hour or so, it isn't constant.

Here's the things I've tried:

Maybe he is suddenly afraid of the dark-turned on a small lamp

Maybe is needs to have his crate covered with a sheet-tried every combination

Maybe he is in pain-tried and NSAID

Maybe he needs comfort-tried a stern, but comforting relaxed tone (I don't want to reinforce this behavior though)

Maybe he has to go out-took him out

I can't let him just whine it out. It's been a stressful experience for all of us.

Edited by Neurobio7

Please...take your hound to the vet!

The whining is his way of telling you that something is not right.

The fact that you have tried changing so many things ...with no positive results... tells me it is something physical.

Greyhounds are very stoic dogs and will not usually cry out loud unless the have severe pain.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

One dose of an nsaid does not rule out pain. A 10 day course is what I would recommend, with your vet's approval.

I get that it is trying to be short on sleep, especially with a young child, but your dog depends on you to meet his needs. Try to have some patience and get to the root of the problem. This is a new behavior so there is a reason. Less exercise or mental stimulation because youre preoccupied with the new child, something startled or scared him one night and now he's anxious about being in tuat space overnigbt, could be having isolation distress - SA dogs are very routine oriented and often issues resurface with changes in routine (ie. new baby).

You need to rule out medical first. If you do,you could try a calming supplement like DAP or Zylkene. Try leaving him with a stuffed frozen king at bed time. Try exercising him more in the evening. Try doimg food puzzles with him to tire him out mentally. Etc.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Agree with the others, vet visit. Physical exam, urinalysis, fecal, full bloodwork. I know you had a visit a couple months back, but things can change. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry, but he didn't "try to bite your son" - he snapped at him. Dogs know where their teeth are and if he'd truly wanted to bite, your son would be a lot more injured. Dogs snap at one another to get the point across, and unfortunately for us their fur and own reaction speeds usually can prevent contact or damage (not so with slower, furless humans, especially older or little ones). That isn't to say that keeping them separated isn't a good idea, it is! But the 'warning with teeth' was probably because of stress or pain and fear that your child when falling was going to end up too close or actually on him.

Pain can make anyone testy and defensive, so I'm wholeheartedly in support of keeping them separated for everyone's safety and comfort. But I hope you are also giving affection and comfort to the dog so he doesn't have that added stress (being excluded from hanging with the family).

I hope you have a good vet, and that they can get to the bottom of the problem. My Monty is just about 12, so I don't consider 7 old at all!

I agree with everyone suggesting a vet visit. A 7 Year old dog shouldn't be having problems climbing stairs or going for a walk. It definitely sounds like he is in some sort of pain.

It's a tough situation, I hope you can get to the bottom of it.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

The sooner you take him to the vet to get the help he needs, the less it will cost you and the more sleep you will get. Waiting is hard enough on humans waiting for a doctor appointment and he is trying to tell you the best he knows how with his whining. . Surly you have your hands full now, but if he gets what he needs now, it will be a lot easier for you when the new baby comes. Wishing the best for both of you. Joining Pet Assure and using one of their vets can save you twenty five percent on their inhouse treatments may be a solution to saving some dollars if you do not have pet insurance. I get some of our pets meds in AZ and they ship over night. I have saved hundreds of dollars that way as well. Costco is also cheaper than the vet and some more popular drug stores. My vet gives me a prescription so I can get their meds elsewhere and save as well. Ask if your vet is savvy about greyhounds. There have been times that I have had to tell a vet about how different greyhounds are in their physical make up and where. Most do not mind, as it helps them treat the greyhound better. Hoping to encourage you to see the vet and to help your family to get some much needed sleep.

vet and have a full blood work up done, including full Thyroid. From my personal experience the thyroid when off balance will affect their eating and make them pretty spacey- crying, whining, semi-brain dead behavior and changes in urination. it does sound like he also needs much more exercise, he's not a senior yet! good luck!