Mast Cell Tumor Below Eyelid -- Any Advice?

Victor

Our 6.5-year-old boy Gilgun had an FNE on a recurring lump beneath his eyelid today (see below), and it turns out it's a mast cell tumor. :sad1 We have an appointment with oncology for staging next Monday (10/30) and opthamology could do surgery the following day. Does anyone have experience with excision and/or treatment of a mast cell tumor in this location?

Sadly, we first noticed an inflamed bump there about a year ago, but it went away and our vet didn't think it was anything to worry about. It came back again in January, but it went away and we thought it must be a sty. Most recently it flared up in September and it's been more prone to flaring up since then, which is why we saw the opthamologist today.
dsc00861.jpg?w=1256
dsc00863.jpg?w=1149

I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer but good wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. I hope the oncologist and surgeon can give you some reassurances when you see them.

Please keep us updated...

{{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My senior terrier Daisy had a few mast cell tumors (she wasn't a candidate for surgery with her heart condition/variety of other issues). She lived for about a year with her mast cell tumors (two on each back leg and one I suspected of being a mast cell tumor on her side). She could have lived longer with them if not for her heart. I had the same problem you had - whenever I mentioned it to a vet, I was told it was probably just a wart (since she was covered in other warts, they just assumed) or a bug bite or something. I did a little research and discovered mast cell tumors, then found an awesome vet who listened to my concerns and did an FNA of the bump when it wasn't even swollen.

Because of where Gilgun's tumor is I'm not sure how surgery would work, but also because of the location I'd be surprised if they didn't want to take it off.

A daily dose of Benadryl may or may not help. Since mast cell tumors release histamine, Benadryl can help with the swelling and itching. Daisy was on Benadryl for a while and it helped the swelling, but she loathed it and loathed me because of it, so I had to stop giving it to her. Before Daisy wasn't a candidate for surgery, our vet said that giving Benadryl for a few days before surgery can help (for some reason I don't remember - maybe prevent the tumor from releasing too much histamine during surgery?).

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I have a cat with mast cell. We did Palladia oral chemo for a while after surgery to remove the mass in his intestine, but it was not effective. We have been managing it with an every-other-day dose of cyproheptadine, which you can get from a human pharmacy and is relatively inexpensive.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Would they remove the eye as well? That eyelid is so close that I imagine stitches there may irritate the eye, or pawing at it might cause an eye abrasion.

If chemo or higher end meds are required, check out http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com

What would have been $750-1000 at my local pharmacies because a GoodRx coupon couldn't be used, dropped down to $56 at Diamondback.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer but good wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. I hope the oncologist and surgeon can give you some reassurances when you see them.

Please keep us updated...

{{{hugs}}}

Thanks! Will do.

My senior terrier Daisy had a few mast cell tumors (she wasn't a candidate for surgery with her heart condition/variety of other issues). She lived for about a year with her mast cell tumors (two on each back leg and one I suspected of being a mast cell tumor on her side). She could have lived longer with them if not for her heart. I had the same problem you had - whenever I mentioned it to a vet, I was told it was probably just a wart (since she was covered in other warts, they just assumed) or a bug bite or something. I did a little research and discovered mast cell tumors, then found an awesome vet who listened to my concerns and did an FNA of the bump when it wasn't even swollen.

Because of where Gilgun's tumor is I'm not sure how surgery would work, but also because of the location I'd be surprised if they didn't want to take it off.

A daily dose of Benadryl may or may not help. Since mast cell tumors release histamine, Benadryl can help with the swelling and itching. Daisy was on Benadryl for a while and it helped the swelling, but she loathed it and loathed me because of it, so I had to stop giving it to her. Before Daisy wasn't a candidate for surgery, our vet said that giving Benadryl for a few days before surgery can help (for some reason I don't remember - maybe prevent the tumor from releasing too much histamine during surgery?).

I'm sorry about your Daisy. :( Thank you for sharing this. They put Gilgun on Benadryl, too (50mg twice daily).

I have a cat with mast cell. We did Palladia oral chemo for a while after surgery to remove the mass in his intestine, but it was not effective. We have been managing it with an every-other-day dose of cyproheptadine, which you can get from a human pharmacy and is relatively inexpensive.

I'm sorry your cat has a mast cell tumor, too. :( That's helpful to know about Palladia and cyproheptadine.

Would they remove the eye as well? That eyelid is so close that I imagine stitches there may irritate the eye, or pawing at it might cause an eye abrasion.

If chemo or higher end meds are required, check out http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com

What would have been $750-1000 at my local pharmacies because a GoodRx coupon couldn't be used, dropped down to $56 at Diamondback.

The ophthalmologist thinks they may be able to preserve the eye and the eyelid with some reconstructive surgery. We are worried about it, though, especially since they'll want to get clean margins if possible.

That's good to know about Diamondback. Thank you!

Yikes-that’s a tough area to achieve clean margins. You really need a biopsy to grade the tumor before you attempt to plan future treatments-fingers crossed it’s a grade 1 or a low grade 2.

Thanks, tbhounds -- I'll ask about that on Monday when we see the surgeon.

An oncologist told my friend about a vaccine that is very effective for mast cell tumors. I'll ask her for the info, I found this, not sure if it's the same thing.

http://medivetbiologics.com/home/vets/bio-solutions/immuno/vet-k9acv/

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

An oncologist told my friend about a vaccine that is very effective for mast cell tumors. I'll ask her for the info, I found this, not sure if it's the same thing.

http://medivetbiologics.com/home/vets/bio-solutions/immuno/vet-k9acv/

Thank you! I'll be sure to ask about that. If you could find out from your friend if that's the one, that'd be very helpful!!!

The meeting with the oncologist went well. They did chest x-rays and an abdominal ultrasound, and they aspirated the lymph nodes in his neck. Thankfully it appears the cancer hasn't spread yet.

We met with the surgeon later that afternoon. Unfortunately, the location of the tumor is not ideal for removal with clean margins. The options they offered were to (1) excise just the tumor using a modified V-plasty (a "4-sided wedge resection"), (2) do an H-plasty (which they advised against), (3) do a lip to lid transposition, or (4) remove the eye and surrounding tissues. We opted to start with #1, since it has the least risk and it can still tell us how aggressive of a tumor we're dealing with.

This morning Gilgun had the surgery and the surgeon says it went well! Gilgun is in recovery now. We won't know the grade of the tumor for a few days.

Best wishes for a quick recovery and low grade tumour...paws crossed

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

That's exactly the approach I would have taken. I wouldn't get aggressive before knowing the grade of the tumor. Many, many grade 2 mct's never return even with dirty margins. Once they obtain the sample not only can they grade it they can also learn of its aggressiveness.

Glad everything is going well so far.

Best wishes for a quick recovery and low grade tumour...paws crossed

Thanks, greytpups!

That's exactly the approach I would have taken. I wouldn't get aggressive before knowing the grade of the tumor. Many, many grade 2 mct's never return even with dirty margins. Once they obtain the sample not only can they grade it they can also learn of its aggressiveness.

Glad everything is going well so far.

Thanks, tbhounds -- that's reassuring!

Here's a photo of Gilgun after I picked him up today. You'll notice that his left eye looks quite a bit smaller than his right eye now. Hopefully the lower eyelid will stretch some over time.

img_6363.jpg?width=504

{{{hugs and kisses}}} for that sweet boy! Have an adult beverage for yourself!

Keep us updated, please!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks, everyone! Gilgun is glad to be home, although his left eye seems to be bothering him more today. :( He's squinting a lot with it. I asked the surgeon about it and he said as long as there's no discolored discharge it should be okay. Poor puppy!

Great!!!

Here is a link to the vaccine I mentioned: https://ifx-vet.com/safe-and-effective-dog-cancer-treatment/

Thank you! I'll ask the oncologist about it!

I have some amazing news: Gilgun's tumor was a grade 1! And, incredibly, they got clean margins!!!!! :balloonparty

The only bad news is that his abdominal ultrasound showed that he has "mild bilateral chronic kidney disease". I'll have to start researching that now!

:yay That's great! Of course, there are people here who can tell you all about managing kidney disease. :)

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg