A Dental At 13

Franny is scheduled for a dental on Tuesday, but I am extremely nervous about her going under for it. I'm just afraid something is going to happen to her at her age. Health wise she is doing ok, but not great. Should I still go through with it? I've had a couple people tell me to cancel.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Dr Couto always says that age is only a number, even when considering an amputation. If she is generally healthy and all pre-anesthesia blood and lab work check out, you have to evaluate her need for a dental vs your (understandable) apprehension over being sedated.

If her teeth are really bad she could be getting a lot of bacteria in her system, which is very bad for her heart. This could be more stressful on her physical health than the sedation.

But only you and your vet can assess the risk of going ahead with the procedure or not.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You might want to try arnica globules. I started a week before Andy's dental. Vet took 5 teeth, even stitched my poor boy up. But no swelling and didn't even need pain meds thanks to the arnica globules. Andy is 11.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't.

Cleaning a dog's teeth at that age is sort of like giving a mammogram to a 90 year old. Something is going to take her well before any teeth bacteria do. If she isn't in any kind of pain or discomfort, why risk it?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't.

Cleaning a dog's teeth at that age is sort of like giving a mammogram to a 90 year old. Something is going to take her well before any teeth bacteria do. If she isn't in any kind of pain or discomfort, why risk it?

The only pain she is in is from her arthritis, and she gets pain meds for that. She eats just fine so I know she's not in any pain from that.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

The only pain she is in is from her arthritis, and she gets pain meds for that. She eats just fine so I know she's not in any pain from that.

So not true-I have seen dogs continue to eat with horrific tooth root abscesses. Please never evaluate your dogs health on whether or not they are eating.

We were apprehensive when one of our super senior hounds had to have a dental years ago. It wasn't so much about cleaning, but she had a bad tooth abscess and other teeth that needed removal. Our vet said that it would be worse to let her continue to deal with that pain. I believe she had something like seven teeth removed. She got through the procedure just fine and was able to live out her remaining 1.5 years without dental pain.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Only you can decide if the risk is worth the teeth cleaning. I did HAVE to have Aggie go under once when she was 13 because she broke a tooth and I had no choice. She never missed a beat-did not set her back at all. I would never have risked it for just a cleaning though. Aggie was tough though- a lot of those broodies are or they wouldn't have survived long enough to get retired. Aggie didn't get off the farm until she was 11 and she was almost 15 when she crossed over.

I have no idea about having it done at her age, but will say a prayer that everything goes well for her. I have to get Ruby's teeth done soon, but she is only 9. Her breath can move mountains, so I know it needs to be done. We had it done a year ago too. Not sure what is happening in there.

Karen