Vestibular Disease

Thank goodness she has recovered so well :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this as I rushed our 14.5 y.o. to the vet and turns out it's vestibular. Half hour after she got there she was perfectly fine but it scared the daylights out of us.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

22 minutes ago, sarabz said:

Reviving this as I rushed our 14.5 y.o. to the vet and turns out it's vestibular. Half hour after she got there she was perfectly fine but it scared the daylights out of us.

Bella :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Because I commented on it earlier today after I rushed Bella to the vet and it turned out to be this issue. I was looking for recent threads on the subject and instead of starting a whole new conversation on an existing topic, thought I'd resurrect this one in case anyone else was dealt with this problem.

• 4 months later...

NEW TODAY: I'm going to resurrect this old thread also instead of starting a new one.   We awoke to a crash and a yelp at 3:08 AM this morning.  Petunia got up from her dog bed and either lost her balance or had an episode of some type which caused her to run into a step stool and push that into the mini blinds.  She was unable to put weight on her rear legs and really couldn't walk around or stand.  We sat with her for about 20 minutes so that she could settle down before putting her in the van and heading to the E-Vet.   The vet suspects a vestibular event based on the drool , head tilt, and apparent nausea she was experiencing.   We left her at the vet for nausea meds, fluids, bloodwork and observation.   Just as we got to sleep at about 7:15AM, the phone rang and the vet said that she was back to her old self, and complaining about the service there.:rotfl. (That's my broodie)  The EVet had us pick her up before 9AM so they could remove a large charge for medical boarding and observation since they didn't feel she needed their level of care. That was awesome of them. 

We picked her up and she has been resting comfortably since.  We will follow up with our own vet and keep an eye on her as she recovers.  What a day! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Aw, Petunia :wub: Bella had this happen a few months ago - scared the living daylights out of us but by the time the vet saw her, she was fine and same thing, complaining about the accommodations and service :D She had one more episode but luckily we knew what it was, and it didn't happen again. 

31 minutes ago, sarabz said:

Aw, Petunia :wub: Bella had this happen a few months ago - scared the living daylights out of us but by the time the vet saw her, she was fine and same thing, complaining about the accommodations and service :D She had one more episode but luckily we knew what it was, and it didn't happen again. 

Good to know.  That's why I wanted to keep this thread going.  Scared us is an understatement, but all I could do was laugh when the vet said that she was complaining. 

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

2 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Good to know.  That's why I wanted to keep this thread going.  Scared us is an understatement, but all I could do was laugh when the vet said that she was complaining. 

How is Petunia doing tonight? 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

4 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

How is Petunia doing tonight? 

She seems completely back to normal.  We had a lot of rain today and are having to put the leash on her to get her to go outside, but it's not even like we have to put any pressure on the leash. It just has to be clipped on so that she resigns herself to going outside. No issue other than she's being stubborn about it if you try without the leash. (This is a fairly regular happening, so most likely not related to the incident.) Did someone say "stubborn and Petunia" in the same sentence? :lol

Sending stay-well hugs to your Lonely Little Petunia. 

she was back to her old self, and complaining about the service there.

That nice e-vet needs a good inspection every now and then to keep up its standards.   :lol

My dear Eve had a sudden rear leg failure about a year before her death of an apparent spinal stroke.  In episode 1, she was on the sofa next me, suddenly lifted her head, and then jumped off the sofa and tried to run through the house -- to or from what, I don't know.  No nausea, head tilt, or drooling.  Back to normal within a few minutes.  I've always wondered if the low dose of aspirin recommended to some people after strokes could also apply to dogs (with caution for tummies, of course).  Did either of your vets recommend attempting anything prophylactic?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

40 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Sending stay-well hugs to your Lonely Little Petunia. 

That nice e-vet needs a good inspection every now and then to keep up its standards.   :lol

My dear Eve had a sudden rear leg failure about a year before her death of an apparent spinal stroke.  In episode 1, she was on the sofa next me, suddenly lifted her head, and then jumped off the sofa and tried to run through the house -- to or from what, I don't know.  No nausea, head tilt, or drooling.  Back to normal within a few minutes.  I've always wondered if the low dose of aspirin recommended to some people after strokes could also apply to dogs (with caution for tummies, of course).  Did either of your vets recommend attempting anything prophylactic?  

She had a very normal day today, so all appears to be well. The next time she wants a $900 car ride I will order an Uber for her. :lol

The E-Vet did not suggest anything as they primarily defer back to your main vet for ongoing treatment or changes to meds. She sent us home with enough Cerrenia for a few nausea incidents if needed until we see our regular vet.

Our regular vet is a mobile vet and will come to the house in about 10 days to do a re-check unless we need something sooner. I fully expect her to add some Chinese herbs or other supplements etc to the routine. Thus far, her additions of herbs, supplements, accupuncture etc have been spot-on and improved the conditions she has prescribed them for. If we need a regular medication she will prescribe that as well, but her practice is a nice combination of mainstream veterinary medicine and holistic treatment. I never followed the holistic side of things very much, but this vet is proof that with the right knowledge both have their place with our hounds.