Flea And Tick Prevention

Any advice on flea & tick prevention? We're as holistic as possible and use a natural spray + essences to strengthen their immune system. The ticks persist. I don't trust that the Seresto collar is not toxic. Has anyone used the Mercola collar and products successfully? Thx!

The only natural ingredients that have proven, in scientific studies, to repel ticks are rose geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), palmarosa (Cymbagopogon martini motif), and Egyptian myrrh (Commiphora erythaea). The Egyptian myrrh is hard to get in this country, and other types of myrrh do not seem to be effective.

That said, I like being as natural as possible, but I despise ticks and will use chemicals to kill the little bastids. I use the Soresto collars on my dogs. They are obviously not non toxic, but my vet has a client with severely compromised kidneys who can barely tolerate anything, and that dog has had no problems with the Soresto collar.

I used the Seresto last year for Johnny, it worked very well at my parents' house who have a terrible tick problem. I also have four cats that like to share his bed, they suffered no I'll effects, and that's good enough for me.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Great timing! I pulled multiple ticks off the dogs yesterday and today. It's February and I am already done. Our new vet recommends Nexguard or Vectra 3D, with a slight preference for Vectra 3D. Thoughts? We do have cats, too. We live outside of Gettysburg, Tick Capitol of the World.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I used NexGard for awhile, it seemed fine, but wasn't really tested, as far as I know they weren't exposed to any ticks. I switched because it is very hard, and Val has bad teeth, she doesn't like trying to chew anything really hard. I switched both dogs because it is easier :) I have no experience with Vectra

Bravecto has been working great here.

Ditto. Sweep hates the taste, but it's so effective that I'm willing to fight that battle once every three months. And no worries with my two cats.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I had my guys on Frontline Plus which stopped working, went to Comfortis which worked great on fleas (got rid of my infestation overnight) and now on Trifexis. But my understanding is that neither Comfortis nor Trifexis work on ticks -- is there an equivalent (same active ingredient for fleas) that does also work on ticks? No cats here if that is a concern.

I did try the Preventic collar, but Logan got an irritated neck from it. Not sure if it was chemical or just the constant abrasion of a 24/7 collar (he goes bare-neck in the house).

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I use Nexguard now on my Greyhound Flower and my little Chi/Ig mix and a Seresto collar on my cat. She was on Frontline before that for 2 years and last year she contracted Anaplasmosis which is worse than Lyme as it affects the Platelets as well as Kidneys and other organs, she was so sick that we almost lost her, took 6 weeks of Antibiotics to kill it and now she tests positive for it, her Immune system is compromised now. Ticks are really bad here and we walk in the woods daily, all the snow is melting, they will be out soon!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Great timing! I pulled multiple ticks off the dogs yesterday and today. It's February and I am already done. Our new vet recommends Nexguard or Vectra 3D, with a slight preference for Vectra 3D. Thoughts? We do have cats, too. We live outside of Gettysburg, Tick Capitol of the World.

Wow ticks already, they will be out here soon too despite the 2 + feet of snow we just got, its getting mild this week. Nexguard works great here for dogs and ticks are bad in NH, I use Seresto collar on cat and he is tick and flea free(works 8 months too)

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest chickenpotpie

The last dose of Advantix II apparently didn't do squat. She got her dose February 4, 4 days before her due date. Feb 16 she goes to her dads. well he leaves here and takes her up there. Apparently by friday night she was chewing on herself vigorously. Told him to bathe her and give her benedryl. He didn't bathe her but gave her a benedryl. I said, If it gets worse call me. So he never called so I figured she was fine. I even told him get some capstar (he didn't).

I had suspected advantix had failed because we went through an itchy episode with her before. No flea dirt, no visible fleas, but lots of itching.

When they got back Monday, oh my gawd...my baby was miserable! So, yesterday she got a bath as soon as she got home. When I roll her over. OMG, it was horrible! Very red where she'd been biting, and LOTS of flea dirt!! Immediately gave her a capstar, then off to the vet. She chewed up herself pretty bad and I didn't know if she was getting an infection or not because of it.

Thankfully over the weekend I treated the house/yard and washed her stuff. So whatever she brought back won't live for too long. Gave her a bendryl and she slept all night. Minimal scratch8ng but she's got a lot of redness so her skin is very irritated. Gave another capstar today to be on the safe side.

I'm waiting for Bravecta to get here which could be a few days to possibly next week. Is there anything else I can do between this time? Apparently fleas in Florida are legendary but this is the first year I've dealt with such stuff.

Nexgard is excellent. Please know that the veterinary community is starting to recommend oral flea and tick prevention, such as nexgard or simparica. The original topicals, ie. Frontline and Advantage/Advantix, are not very effective anymore; fleas seem to have developed a resistance to them. Also, FYI, all topicals can be washed away with bathing, swimming, etc.

I'm all for all natural and we try to do things holistically here as much as possible, but there are imho things that warrant chemicals. Heartworm prevention is one of them, as is TBD prevention. TBDs are no small thing. There are risks, especially if they go undiagnosed for any length of time and the current thinking seems to be moving toward medications not being so effective at eradicating them, just basically causing them to go dormant. It would be one thing if I were in an area where my dogs were rarely if ever exposed to ticks, but that's not the case for us. And it sounds like it isn't for you either. I would consider a "chemical" preventative.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."