Violet's Dental Monday

She's awake! Still very sedated, but out of anesthesia and no longer intubated. They said she's not anxious at all, but if she becomes stressed they will discharge her to me sooner. Otherwise, about an hour and a half. I won't feel completely relieved until that happens because the issues didn't show up last time until they got her up, but things have gone much more smoothly this time and they have seen some yellow urine. So :goodluck that we're out of here without issue by early afternoon.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad she's doing so well :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

So x-rays aren't showing any infection and he doesn't think any of her teeth need to come out! :yay

I'm a little incredulous because she's been pawing at her face, but she has these holes in her teeth and apparently there was a lot of gunk packed in there. So they want me to get a brushing tool to get in there and keep that clean.

So he's finishing up her cleaning and then they'll wake her up. Hopefully the next update is she's awake and has yellow pee! :hope:)

Ask your vet for a 10cc syringe. Fill it with lukewarm water and use it to flush out the gaps and holes in the teeth. I do this every day after brushing my boys teeth to dislodge stuck-in food.I have to fill it twice. I fill a glass up with the water and draw it up with the syringe. I take the syringe apart and rinse it thoroughly and let it air dry when done. Hope this helps!

We are headed home! :yay Actually, we headed home and about 15 min in I realized I set a bag of Violet's stuff done to get her in the car and then drove away without it :lol If something had to go wrong I'll happily have that be it. :P

She is incontinent at the moment, but hopefully that's just because she's happily doped up. She's definitely still out of it, but pretty mobile and did also mark when she saw a dog outside. :P

I had to keep reminding myself when they were giving us our instructions that she didn't have teeth removed. I asked about pain meds and then realized she wouldn't need them. They had thought theyd need to remove at least a few so I am kind of in shock. Added bonus, our estimate was $1900-2800, but our bill was only $1200. :clap

Thanks for the support today, love my fellow GTers.

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Super news!! Hope everyone can rest!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

We're home! :yay We walked around the block to try to get her to empty out a bit more. She's tired, but doing well.

1031161449_zpsrwv6rtro.jpg

Going to let her snooze for a bit and then feed her a snack.

She looks like she's still out of it. So glad everything went great. It's about time something did.

Way out of it, as in a space cadet :P but actually walking around surprisingly well. She is a little wobbly occasionally and just missed the first step with her back foot, but then she did all of our stairs without issue (I had a hold of the harness just in case). I'm pleasantly surprised by how well she's getting around.

Fantastic news! So glad Violet's procedure and recovery went smoothly. Great relief! :)

Ask your vet for a 10cc syringe. Fill it with lukewarm water and use it to flush out the gaps and holes in the teeth. I do this every day after brushing my boys teeth to dislodge stuck-in food.I have to fill it twice. I fill a glass up with the water and draw it up with the syringe. I take the syringe apart and rinse it thoroughly and let it air dry when done. Hope this helps!

The syringe is a great suggestion.

I've used C.E.T. Oral Rinse's bent stem applicator with it's clean empty bottle for fresh water rinsing.

(I switched back to Oratene products by Pet King.)

Just thinking a (human) Waterpik device could work really well if hound was positively conditioned to the sound.

Fantastic news! So glad Violet's procedure and recovery went smoothly. Great relief! :)

The syringe is a great suggestion.

I've used C.E.T. Oral Rinse's bent stem applicator with it's clean empty bottle for fresh water rinsing.

(I switched back to Oratene products by Pet King.)

Just thinking a (human) Waterpik device could work really well if hound was positively conditioned to the sound.

She mentioned a client who used a Waterpik on her dog's teeth. :) I asked and they want me to use a brush in these holes so that we're actually removing the bacteria. I just have to find the right brush. I need something that will fit in the hole and has soft bristles.

Hum, my BraUn rechargable toothbrush set has a perfect little tip brush that gets between tooth crevices.

https://oralb.com/en-us/products/power-tip-replacement-brush-heads

Perhaps they are made for manual toothbrushes too.

A hummingbird cleaner brush might work too, but might not be soft enough on the very tip, and it's handle length is short.

See nectar port brush: http://www.wbu.com/products/nectar-feeders/

Edited by 3greytjoys

Thanks for those suggestions.

Last update. She ravenously devoured the little bit of canned food I gave her and then we took a good long nap with me spooning her. :wub: When we woke up she was hamming it up to get me to pet her. Took a good potty walk. No accidents during our nap and she went several times on our walk, glorious golden yellow pee. :) She just had a small meal of ground chicken, rolled around on the mattress scratching her back and is back to dozing. She's definitely still a little dopey, but walking normally (if slowly) and otherwise doing great. I'm amazed. And relieved.

I caught the tail end of her silliness. Goof :lol

Thanks again for the good wishes today. Things really couldn't have gone more smoothly. I'm so grateful.

So glad she is doing well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.