How To Get Your Grey To Eat Pills?

Guest curi0us

Guest curi0us

Hi, first post on here so I'm sorry if this has been posted before - I did a couple of searches but didn't see what I was looking for.

I'm having a hard time getting my greyhound to eat his monthly Trifexis pill. He used to eat it if I just threw it in with his food, but he doesn't anymore. I have tried letting the pill sit out for a day (my friend said that it helps get the medicine-y smell off of it), and covering it in peanut butter but so far no luck. It looks like the Trifexis pills are too big for the pill pack things that I normally see at pet stores.

Any tips/tricks you use to help get your greyhound to eat his/her medicine?

Guest curi0us

Thank you!! Will get some American cheese slices this weekend and try that out.

@muddgirl - My dog is also a CTW! His racing name was CTW Jarhead Joe

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia takes a few. I just coat it with peanut butter and if she won't eat it, I open her mouth and stick it on her tongue as far back as I can (PB makes it stick). 90% success rate!

Even my dog that eats poop won't eat the "chewable" Trifexis pill! They smell nasty and I bet they don't taste much better. Far simpler to just pill them - open their mouths and pop it down their throat. Over in 3 seconds!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Scouts_mom

I'm with Greysmom--I don't bother with hiding the pill in food--I've never had good success with it. Instead, I just open their mouth and pop it in. If you get it far enough back, it will go down.

My technique is to straddle the dog at her shoulders. Use my left hand at the corners of her mouth to open it--just like getting a horse to accept a bit. Use my right hand to place the pill as far back in mouth as I can. Close mouth and lightly hold it closed, rub her throat until she swallows. If she refuses to swallow, lightly rub and blow on the tip of her nose. To lick her nose, she has to swallow. Reward with a treat.

Edited by Scouts_mom

I get the little packs of goat's cheese (my dogs go nuts for that). The texture is perfect for moulding little pill pockets. I just roll them into balls and hide the pill in the middle of one. I always feed a few without the pill first as dogs can sometimes sniff more or be more suspicious or hesitant with the first one. Once they start gobbling them down, I sneak in the pill one :)

I also sometimes use canned sardines and just slide the pill into the middle of one.

If all else fails, the shove down the throat technique mentioned above works. Hold their nose up, put the pill down as far as you can and close the mouth. Usually when they lick their lips you know they have swallowed it.

Cheese works the best but fresh bread isn't too far off! I've also been known to use hot dog (esp helpful for larger pills since you can just cut a long piece and then insert pill in middle) When all else fails, down the hatch it goes by hand and hold muzzle closed until you feel the swallow then give lots of priase and treats.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest IrskasMom

I am telling you . Go to your local Delly and ask them for an inch of their Liverwurst . Scoop out a little bit and put the Pill inside and make a little Ball . worked with my Morty and now with Brady .

Greyhounds are the easiest dog in the world to pill. Thierry throat is as wide as their neck.if all else fails open the mouth wide,shove it down their traot. All the way back,you will be amazed at how far your fingers can go!

I come from the days of daily heart worm meds!

I would pill Seamus by putting the pill in a blob of peanut butter or liverwurst and while he was laying down put the blob on his wrist. He would lap it right up.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Can you break it in half? One of Zuri's supplements is HUGE and he wants nothing to do with it so I break it in half and then either put them in pill pockets (I break off what I need from a Greenies pill pocket to wrap it completely) or I put it in something delicious. PB is still working well for us, but goat yogurt has worked nicely when Skye gets picky.

For pills that taste particularly offensive like Tramadol, I will often wrap in a pill pocket, then put the pill pocket in a little PB so it's doubly disguised.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:lol It's probably at least 5 to 7 miles to the nearest deli here but I agree with liverwurst or braunswager. (sp)

Braunsweiger is our go to for 'biggest baddest pills"- we get it at the grocery. For other pills we use

Velveeta successfully.

We got so tired of the trifexis fight monthly we've been using revolution. Not a huge fan of the skid marks they have for a few days, but beats the fight to get all three to swallow the nasty trifexis!

Guest Sportingfields

I'm a huge fan of hiding pills in liverwurst, never had a pup refuse. Mine used to love liverwurst so much that even the ones that didn't need a med were at my feet waiting for their portion :) Hate shoving pills down the throat but will do it if necessary.

For once only a month pill, cut pill into 2-3 pieces, most HW are pretty big, then hide each piece in raw hamburg, making tiny meatballs. What you want is small enough so all they have to do is swallow. It's when they have to chew that you run into problems. Give a couple of tiny raw hamburg meatballs first, then give the ones that you've prepared ahead of time. With only one pill broken up, you'd not be giving more than 1/4 cup including the initial meatballs. In case you've a concern, raw hamburg is perfectly safe to give a Greyhound. It actually is better than cooked. I had a trainer tell me years ago that the way the fats break down in hamburg when cooking, that you can cause digestive upset and pancreatitis symptoms.

Our Lilly has to be pilled with some supplements everyday and I made a video of my technique. :P As you can see, the "pill" is about 1 1/4 inches diameter and Lilly takes it with no problems. We do it fast and simple, and Lilly never runs away from me, and will even come to me when she hears me getting her "pill" ready.

Use your non-dominant hand to open the jaws then slide your fingers (on that hand) back along the roof of the mouth until you feel the beginning of the soft palate. If you place your fingers there it will automatically make them open their throat wider. Use your dominant hand/index finger to place the "pill" over the back of the throat, past where it bends to go down the trachea (but not too far or they will choke). Close the mouth and give a small puff of air across the nose which triggers the swallow reflex.

https://youtu.be/lj2biSafDwc

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest curi0us

Update: Coated the pill in peanut butter and wrapped it in a slice of cheese, and he ate everything in pretty much one bite!

Like someone else mentioned - I'm sure if I keep using the same tactic he will see it coming, so I'll be referencing this thread from time to time I'm sure :) Really appreciate everyone's suggestions

Braunsweiger is our go to for 'biggest baddest pills"- we get it at the grocery.

Yeah, but unless you happen to personally like braunsweiger or liverwurst sandwiches (one of my friends does) it's hard to buy a whole roll once a month to give one pill.

Update: Coated the pill in peanut butter and wrapped it in a slice of cheese, and he ate everything in pretty much one bite!

:clap

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest AtticusMom

greysmom, your video is awesome. i think our greys are quite good at being pilled manually, when necessary. Lilly is a great example!