How To Get Your Grey To Eat Pills?

Guest curi0us

First off, my dogs don't get "pills". They get "Super Special Puppy Treats! For Super Special Puppies!" Said with that level of excitement, every morning, for the last 5 years. And I use the homemade pill pockets (liverwurst, cream cheese, and crushed shredded wheat). I whip up a batch, form them into balls, and keep them in the freezer, thawing out what I need as I go. This has the advantage of letting me use just the amount that I need to cover the pill.

I really think switching MY attitude from "man, giving my dogs pills is going to be difficult" to "these are the best things ever in the world, and they are really lucky dogs to get them!" has helped. Not only do they take their pills without fussing, they work to get them! They will do downs, sits, spins, "sit pretty", etc., and come running to the super special call. I do try and make sure that they get the same number of "super special" treats, so my little rat terrier ( who takes one pill M/W/F), gets her joint supplement at that time and I add in "fakes" (just small pieces of the pill pocket) if someone is getting an additional pill for some reason.

Hope that helps!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest curi0us

I really think switching MY attitude from "man, giving my dogs pills is going to be difficult" to "these are the best things ever in the world, and they are really lucky dogs to get them!" has helped. Not only do they take their pills without fussing, they work to get them!

Good point - dogs definitely pick up on our attitude!

Guest RockRoos

I usually use a few different things. Lunch meat, cheese, sometimes a piece of chicken (boneless, of course). My boy doesn't even like his Sentinel Spectrum chewable and I usually end up chopping it into four smaller pieces and feeding it to him in bits wrapped in lunch meat as well.

It's funny, when I first got him I was nervous about trying to get his mouth open to stick things down his maw, but now I do it without even hesitating when I have to.

We've had luck with having 2 smears of PB on two fingers... one has the pill-- offer that to dog first then right-away offer the second PB-coated finger so they immediately start in on the next finger of yumminess... whilst swallowing the original gob of PB-coated pill!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

I always feed a few without the pill first as dogs can sometimes sniff more or be more suspicious or hesitant with the first one. Once they start gobbling them down, I sneak in the pill one :)

This is what I do as well with any that I think are going to be tougher to sneak past the dog. It worked as well when I needed to get pills into my cat and if it works for a cat that's saying something. :lol I always follow up immediately with a non-pill treat too. Basically it's just a steady stream of treats, some with pills they hopefully never know about and some without. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest curi0us

We've had luck with having 2 smears of PB on two fingers... one has the pill-- offer that to dog first then right-away offer the second PB-coated finger so they immediately start in on the next finger of yumminess... whilst swallowing the original gob of PB-coated pill!

ooh clever :)