Scary Bleeding

:yay Percy :kiss2 Good news, Ducky!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome!!! sending prayers for many more months together : ): ) :hope :Hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Apologies if it has already been mentioned, but did your vet suggest putting him on I'm-Yunity

http://www.imyunityfordogs.com/

I think this was the original research and I initially found the info in this forum and my vet also suggested it.

https://news.upenn.edu/news/compound-derived-mushroom-lengthens-survival-time-dogs-cancer-penn-vet-study-finds

I am sure that, together with yunnan baiyao (http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2012/july/hemangiosarcoma_in_dogs-26511) was responsible for giving me 7 wonderful extra months with my old boy (not a greyhound)

• 5 months later...

Bumping this up for Roo's little Daisy.

The cutaneous hemangiosarcoma completely healed on its own. You'd never know it was there.

Lauren, you asked me about bleeding. Percy's did quite a bit the first 2 weeks and it was very alarming. Vet 1 wanted us to keep the dressing on and they changed it once. He as on antibiotics during that period though at that time we had no diagnosis. Weather had been rainy and it was hard to keep the area dry despite covering that dressing and a sock up when he went outside. He wanted to lick it through the sock too.

When we went to Vet 2 he did not remove the dressing. There was enough of a gap when he peered at it from the top of the leg since the spot lay along that hollow spot by his leg webbing. (Not sure about the correct anatomy term). He could see it was infected. We tried another course of antibiotics. When it looked clear of pus he was able to take a smear of the cells since any biopsy could not be done so close to the blood vessel.

When Percy's spot kept bleeding I had to keep it wrapped quite snug, but not enough to cause any swelling at his foot. So, regular wrap and a pressure wrap and antibiotics plus keeping it dry.

Seems odd that's all you'd need for this cancer. So far this one has not reappeared nor have any similar looking ugly spots appeared.

Lauren, is it possible to cauterize the area? Perhaps with sulfur-tipped sticks form the vet? (Tracy- it would have been sulfur not silver, yes?)

I hope your little girl gets some relief. She's had quite a rough time.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That's wonderful that Percy's healed up on its own! I've been wondering how he's doing.

I'll definitely ask about cauterizing if we end up at the vet tomorrow - if it's still bleeding tomorrow I feel like vet intervention is probably necessary!

Daisy's growth looks very different from Percy's but is in a similar location (and wrapping is difficult as nothing wants to stay - the wrap the vet put on after the biopsies yesterday fell off right in the office, and the replacement he put on fell off as we were leaving :rolleyes:). If I wasn't on my phone I'd post a picture of what it looks like tonight.

Thank you for the sharing your experience and advice - I appreciate it!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Lauren, Percy's fell off too so that's when they included a pressure wrap. A sock with the toe end removed helped too.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The bleeding has slowed quite a bit - it was still pretty heavy (steady) yesterday afternoon when I rewrapped it, but it didn't bleed through the wrap so I left it covered till this morning. It's still bleeding, but not nearly as much, so I'm hopeful that we can avoid the vet visit (which would be awesome so that I can afford food for the rest of the month :lol) if I keep it clean and wrapped.

Gross bloody growth photos below... (I can't figure out how to make a "spoiler" thing so that you have to click to see them!)

Saturday afternoon:

tumblr_obviklr8uj1s3xj43o4_1280.jpg

Sunday afternoon:

tumblr_obx9c5nTFi1s3xj43o1_540.jpg

This morning:

tumblr_oby8o69PNh1s3xj43o1_540.jpg

The growth itself appears to have shrunk some, which I assume is a good thing. It can now be uncovered for a minute or two before it starts oozing a drop or two of blood, whereas yesterday and Saturday it was basically a slow-drip faucet.

It looked like this at the beginning of June:

tumblr_obviklr8uj1s3xj43o1_400.jpg

And like this at the end of July:

tumblr_obviklr8uj1s3xj43o2_1280.jpg

I sell things on Etsy!

How long did Percy's bleed? Daisy's slowed quite a bit all day but now it's a steady stream again . I had to take the bandage off - I wrapped too tight this morning and it was pinching her. Tried to make this one secure but not pinchy... We'll see. I can't decide if we should try that new vet or not. Vets are anxiety-inducing for her so I don't want to put her through it unless I have to.

I sell things on Etsy!

How long did Percy's bleed? Daisy's slowed quite a bit all day but now it's a steady stream again . I had to take the bandage off - I wrapped too tight this morning and it was pinching her. Tried to make this one secure but not pinchy... We'll see. I can't decide if we should try that new vet or not. Vets are anxiety-inducing for her so I don't want to put her through it unless I have to.

A couple of weeks. I kept wanting to change the bandage to keep it clean, but like tbhounds said, it disturbed the scab and the bleeding started again.

Is Daisy on antibiotics?

Best wishes for Daisy, Percy, and Percy's screaming monkey. :)

Percy has given the screaming monkeys a bit of a reprieve. He had a bone spur in his shoulder break off and insert itself into a muscle. He's been on duralactin and finished a course of rimadyl. His shoulder is always stiff now post-nap, but at least one monkey gets a trip outside each.

tiny hada siggy.png