Soft Treat Recommendations?

Guest OPointyDog

Guest OPointyDog

Unfortunately our guy Mika has to have many of his teeth pulled next week. Eventually they will all have to come out, but we're doing them in stages. He's on a prescription diet kibble (Purina DCO) that I can soak for his meals, but I am wondering if anyone can recommend some soft treats. He's leash-reactive, so I feed him treats when we go for walks to keep him from reacting to other dogs. I'd like to find something that's not too processed with additives/preservatives and won't make a mess in my pocket, if possible.

Suggestions?

Would you consider baking your own? There are many recipes on the internet.

Hope all goes well with the dental surgery.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest OPointyDog

Sure, though most of them are crunchy rather than soft after they are baked. Anybody have a good recipe for soft treats?

Sweep likes these Zuke's treats: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000H0ZJIG

They're the perfect size for training treats and last quite a while; I'm still working on a one-pound bag I bought in early April and the treats have stayed moist.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Nature's Domain wild boar treats from Costco. They are soft strips. Trolley will take my fingers off for these.

I saw those the other day but didn't buy them- now we'll have to try it!

To answer your question, I like Blue Dog Bakery's soft treats. I think they have molasses and peanut butter ones. Not too much $$ either.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

A bit messy but I just cube up leftover roasts and rotisserie chickens to use as treats. I freeze them in portions and take out what I need. Cheap, natural and very high value for the pups. I used to bake salmon treats as well, but I can't remember the exact recipe (they were soft). I think I basically mixed a can of salmon with a few eggs and whatever amount of flour and water I needed to make a dough.

I saw those the other day but didn't buy them- now we'll have to try it!

To answer your question, I like Blue Dog Bakery's soft treats. I think they have molasses and peanut butter ones. Not too much $$ either.

We have this now, and they are definitely soft but not messy. As for homemade treats that stay soft but aren't messy, I might suggest some sort of doggie meatball. I usually just grate/puree/mash carrots, sweet potato, lentils, or other veggie and mix it with some lean ground meat and wheat flour or wheat bread pulsed in the food processor. Adding oatmeal, peanut butter, or whatever else I can find in the cupboard that our guy likes, and then baking.

Good luck with the dental!

Guest OPointyDog

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

I'm really nervous about the dental, since the last time he had one, he peed blood for 4 days afterwards. But he has CUPS and his mouth is a disaster, so it has to be done.

Guest CarryOnAMusing

We give freeze dried meat treats to both cats and dogs, brand is Purebites. Only ingredient is whatever meat you get and the ones that get easily soggy when wet are the chicken and turkey. They have others like salmon and cheese but they don't get as soft that I noticed.

Our special needs cat loved them and had some issues chewing, so these worked well for her. Everyone really loves them though there are preferences.

Freeze dried liver?

Seriously, most treats are small enough that MOST dogs just swallow them whole. I think you might be suprised how little dogs actually use their teeth to eat!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 4 weeks later...

hot dogs, kosher salami, chicken livers- cooked in the microwave. nuke a very short time and cover loosely they explode. those are the soft treats i used when i was showing and needed to bait. when you bait you want something very high on the "goody list" that will keep their attention no matter what.

You have to keep these in the fridge (I put a few in my pocket at a time) but they're easy and delicious. I leave out the garlic and sometimes add dried parsley, leftover shredded cheddar, etc.

http://www.food.com/recipe/tuna-fudge-training-dog-treats-120199

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am baking liver brownies for my dogs right now. They are the texture of cornbread and the dogs absolutely love them. I can post the recipe if you are interested.

gallery_22163_3545_8773.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.