Seriously? I Am Gonna Die If I Don't Get Some Fart Relief Tonight.

Guest Billysmom

Guest Billysmom

I swear to God, I'm going to pass out from Billy's farts. Earlier this evening, before they closed, I called his Vet to ask what he could take, and they said they'd call me back..... buuuuut they didn't. And now, here it is, 12:48 am, and I can't sleep!! He refuses to sleep in a different room without whining, so that puts me in the same room as this boy!! I do not own a gas mask, so, I need something NOW!! I'm tellin' you, these things are POWERFUL!! I can actually hear the little "pooooof" as it exits his butt!

WHAT OVER THE COUNTER MEDICINE CAN I GIVE THIS FOUR LEGGED FART MACHINE RIGHT NOW???

Any idea what the cause is? Did he eat something different or possibly get a rabbit or other small game?

Gas-X is fine but it has to be regular Gas-X - Not the type with an antacid or other additives - just plain old Gas-X. You will probably hear him belch several times after giving it. It should not be used all the time - but for the occasional bout of gas is fine. If it's being caused by his food or a specific treat, then a food change may be in order, or you need to stop giving that treat.

I usually just give one tablet and that usually takes care of it.

Edited to add

Pepcid AC is for heartburn. You need Gas-X. The ingredient that takes care of gas is Simethicone. Gaviscon may also have Simethicone, but it has to be the main ingredient without additives for a bunch of other symptoms.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

This'll sound daft, but if you can get him to lie down and you throw a light blanket over his back end, you won't smell it so strongly.

And, as long as you're awake, burn a candle...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Billysmom

Ahhh, I see. I don't have anything on hand with that ingredient, dangit!! Looks like it's off to CVS for me, because I can't take this.

No, he has had zero chance of getting hold of any small game.... he's only been in our yard, and I always go out with him to keep an eye on him. I don't feed him any treats of any kind except peanut butter twice a day to take his meds for seizures.

And you know, I was just reading on another post about someone having a problem with the Iams Green Bag. He started having loose poop when I got MY last bag, 3 days ago. Obviously the two problems are related. I think I'll start the slow switch to another food.

Thank you for your help.

Does NOT sound silly at all! GREAT idea!!

doggy digestion is quite rapid, everything you put in the front end winds up at the back end about 12 hrs. later.

best thing is a diet change. try a food without cereals - ie. pea or potatoe or rice based rather than wheat.

higher meat content (ie. meat listed first before all the veggie stuff in the ingrediients).

...and no beans :)

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

i personally would not start changing foods. start him on boiled white rice and boiled ground beef. small meals, possibly 3 or 4 a day and smell the difference. it can be a couple of things that you can rule out once his tummy is settled on a bland diet. over feeding/heat/ate something he should not have/bacteria/ giardia. if his tummy settles down quickly it's not the last 2. if not, then then you may need either tylan powder- usually a week of 1/4 t. daily cleans up the intestines or flagyl. but for the rot that emits from the rear end i find the tylan usually works. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD when it comes to a rx, it's my experience, PLEASE perservere and talk to your vet. the rice/meat never hurts and if he clears up on that(you might feed him that for a week) and then s-l-o-w-l-y add kibble 1/4c at a time. if it is the kibble then you will know very quickly.

Add a probiotic, might take care of the problem.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I second putting him on a bland diet for a few days. And then consider changing up his food. Every dog reacts to foods differently. I've gone to the raw route and I do not have gas problems here anymore. Kasey used to easily be able to clear a room when he was on kibble.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest WildSparkler

Giving a papaya extract everyday helps with flatulence! You can get it in pill form and put it in peanut butter or some cheese for a treat. Sounds like this issue might be from a different cause possibly, but if it is a reoccurring problem the papaya does help!

Guest Johberry

I second putting him on a bland diet for a few days. And then consider changing up his food. Every dog reacts to foods differently. I've gone to the raw route and I do not have gas problems here anymore. Kasey used to easily be able to clear a room when he was on kibble.

THIS. I'd consider a limited ingredient kibble with little to no grains if you can't do raw. Enzo no longer has room-clearing gas because of his diet.

I will admit, the gas is the reason I don't like to feed the Lamb and Rice IAMS. Poops are awesome on it but so are the gassy emissions! When Myrtle was so sick, I did rice and yogurt, twice a day. I gave her one treat that I knew did not bother her. When I changed to the red bag, the diarrhea was over.

I made the rice with either a bullion cube of beef or chicken so I didn't have to put any meat in there. Myrtle has problems digesting hamburger so I knew I couldn't do that. Just my two cents since I have a sensitive tummy girl. She will eat anything though when she is hungry so I have to watch her like crazy. I don't know how much money she has ingested, highlighters off my endstand, tissues, toilet paper she stole off the roll . . . .I could go on and on. :hehe

edited because I can't spell!

Edited by Dawnnziggy

Guest Billysmom

You guys are SO awesome. So much information, right here at my fingertips!! :beatheart Last night.... well... at 3:00 am.... I went to CVS drugstore upon y'alls advice and got the straight up Gas X. I gave the FART MAKER one tablet, and 30 minutes later...... juuuuuuust as I was falling off the cliff into blissful nite nite....... TWO INCHES from my FACE..... WOOOF! WOOOOF WOOOOF!! Guess who wanted to go out and PLAY???? Well, OBVIOUSLY I had to get up and TAKE him, because he'd wake the whole house!! Sooooo OUT we go, Billy RUNNING and BARKING ALL OVER the YARD, down in the "play with me" position!!! :gh_bow THREE SOMETHING in the morning and I'm out there with my eyelids propped up with toothpicks while he's running around, barking, and waking up the neighbors!! Baaaaaaad Baby!!! :lol

I hope things are improving :). Just a thought - fortunately my two haven't had this happen in quite a long time, but whenever I gave my male peanut butter - we had to all clear the room. When I have to give him pills, I put them in a little piece of good old American cheese. Haven't had any problems with that :).

He sounds like a comedian!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Billysmom

He IS a comedian, I swear!!

About the "Peanut Booodeeeerrrr".... his FAVORITE thing in the world...... (the big goofy guy will come CLOMPING through the house, just to get the tiniest taste)...... I switched TO it FROM CHEESE, because I thought the CHEESE might be causing the green cloud in the room. Clearly not.

You know, I SWEAR, it's hard to believe this oversized goofy seemingly uncoordinated clomping stomping banging into stuff boy was ever a sleek winning machine, hahahaha!!! And yet, watch him do zoomies or you view his videos, and THERE he is! I just love him SO MUCH!! :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Guest Billysmom

About the bland diet.... Upon reading about your success in this and other threads, I believe you're right. Because he has seizures and is on meds, I'll check with his vet first of course, but I do believe I'm going to do that. Just clear everything all out and start again. You think I should start with the ground beef, cooked and drained well, added to with cooked rice? Equal parts? And for a 75 pound dog, how much? He has been getting 2 and a half cups of food, twice a day. (Morning - about 10:00 am, and evening - about 7:00 pm) That has been maintaining his weight.

What is he taking for his seizures? Sometimes the meds can cause stomach upset, too. Also, with one of our seizure dogs, a sudden increase in gas preceded seizure activity. Don't know why, but it usually did.

If you use rice for a carb source in a bland diet, make it with some fat free vegetable stock, or stock from the meat you're using, and use twice as much as the directions say. Cook it until the rice is basically mushy and most of the liquid is gone. Otherwise, the rice will just pass right through without being digested. You can also use pasta (overcooked again), potatoes, sweet potatoes, oatmeal (overcooked). Protein source should also be low fat - boil the meat or rinse it well after cooking - hamburger, ground chicken, ground turkey, turkey or chicken breast. Choose a protein/carb that are different than what he's been getting in his kibble.

Fast him for a meal or two to give his system a rest and clear things out. Then begin with a small snack-size portion - 1/4 cup carb plus 1/4 cup protein. See how that goes, then give another similar portion 2-4 hours later, and then again throughout the day. You want basically equal portion of carb and protein until you've equalled his normal daily cup feeding.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Peanut butter is a huge favorite around here!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

And if you're planning a week of this menu, consider taking a lesser quality ground beef, and boil it. Drain the beef (you could cool the liquid and skim off the fat to use for the rice).

Alternatively, use a higher quality (less fat) beef, and throw the rice in with the beef and boil it all for 30-40 minutes. Extra liquid is not a problem (too much fat CAN be).

And if his gas doesn't decrease with the bland diet, you may want to try out a protein change (to chicken) ... you may find there is a protein allergy.