Multiple Issues For Our Girl

Guest Annasmom

Guest Annasmom

Our sweet girl Anna, who's eleven year olds has had a number of terrible health issues in the last two weeks. It started with a nosebleed two weeks ago out of the blue. It stopped after ten minutes and I called her vet the next day, Sunday. I was supposed to bring her in on Monday, however on that Sunday night she had another so bad we raced to the ER where she lost half her red blood cell count and it took the staff almost 10 hours to get the bleeding to stop.

She was already on a medication for hypertension a well as Tramadol, Gabapentin and Piroxicam for pain. She had soft tissue sarcoma in 2011 and has been on those meds since then for severe arthritis in her hip.

The vet placed her on a different hypertension med, as well as several other drugs. She was hospitalized for 4 days and since she's been home she's been back to the vet twice. She's developed partial paralysis in her hind legs and had a massive hematoma develop on Thursday. We've discontinued the Piroxicam because of bleeding concerns. Unfortunately the cause of her bleeding hasn't been discovered and the doctor is concerned about a brain bleed.

I'm writing now to ask if anyone has had an experience like this. My husband and I are trying to figure out how to help her. She's having so much trouble lying down and just seems so unhappy. It's like someone flipped a switch on our poor girl. We're also wondering if anyone has ever used a doggy wheelchair and what kind of experience they had.

Thank you!

Does your vet have the medication Amicar (Aminocaproic Acid) on hand? It's for bleeding.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry to hear about Anna's medical problems. It's so hard to know what to do for the oldies sometimes. :(

Have you considered a referral to a vet school? Sometimes they can instantly put their finger on a problem that a local vet might miss, being so long out of university themselves. As to a wheelchair, we've seriously considered it for Sid (a tripod) but when I asked here, very few people had any experience of them at all.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Was the nose bleed unilateral or bilateral? Perhaps your vet is concerned about nasal cancer if it's unilateral.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Annasmom

She is on a course of Aminocaproic Acid right now, and the CT scan of her nose showed no cancer. I'm going to look around for a vet school. Thank you all for your quick responses-it's so awful to watch her go from a playful, happy dog to an anxious girl who has trouble walking and lying down.

Guest Annasmom

Thank you to all who replied. At 2 am yesterday, Anna experienced another nosebleed, we rushed her to the ER, where we sadly ended up putting her to sleep. She died in my and my husband's arms as we sang all of her silly songs that we had made up for her over the years. I will bookmark Dr. Couto's page, because when we're ready we will get another grey. She was my first dog and she touched so many people's lives. everyone who met her fell instantly in love with her, including a number of non-dog lovers! She was very playful, loved Frisbee and liked to play with all of her toys at the same time.

Our hearts are broken, but we know that she is in Heaven looking for pettings and throwing her toys up into the air.

Thank you all again.

I will add Anna's name to the list of Bridge Angels in October. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.