Sudden Seizure Death

Guest kolegekreed

Guest kolegekreed

Hi All. This is my first and tragically, likely last post on your boards.

Our beautiful 11 year old boy passed away suddenly this morning while at the groomers. He had a seizure and within a short time later stopped breathing altogether. We are shocked, saddened, heartbroken. There are obviously no words.

We got him a little under 8 years ago from a rescue. He had a couple issues over the years. One, he was bring groomed at Petco 5 years ago and fell off the table and had a slipped disc. With lots of medication he soldiered through pain over the years. He also had kidney issues from the time we got him as far as high protein. The vet recently told us any other dog would have been dead for several years by now with the protein amounts he had in his kidneys most of his life.

I know there won't be any real answers, but I had to come here and ask for your input. Do you think a seizure serious enough to kill him could be related to the kidney issue? Is it just a freak thing? It is common that they can be so strong it kills the greyhound? We'd love any knowledge you can share with us.

I don't have any experience with canine seizures, but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. I lost one of my girls unexpectedly two weeks ago today and it has been so hard. I hope you find some answers that bring you peace. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am so very sorry for your loss. If a seizure is strong enough and lasts long enough it can kill either a dog or a person. As for if the kidney's had anything to do with what happened I don't know. :bighug

Edited by june

It is certainly possible that advancing kidney disease could cause fatal seizure or stroke (which can resemble seizure).

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Are you relying on what the groomer told you? Because unfortunately I used to work for the Mass. SPCA in their law enforcement office taking complaint phone calls, and many a dog has died at the groomers.

Which is one reason I would NEVER go to one.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Yes, it could have been a seizure, and if so likely there was something else going on, and that is what killed him.

I had a six year old cat literally drop dead right in front of me. It was horrible. Vet said it could have been a blood clot, aneurysm, etc. You can't know unless you pay for a necropsy.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm so sorry for the loss of your boy... if you can, you might want to stay around here - it's a great community & we truly understand your loss...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I am so very sorry for your tragic loss. :grouphug

There are dozens of conditions that can cause a seizure. Since your boy did not have a history of seizure activity, my instinct is that the same underlying condition that caused the seizure also took your boy's life. A necropsy might be able to shed some light on the root cause. You may or may not want to pursue that kind of investigation. Such a loss, that seems to come out of nowhere, is shocking and one begins to look for reasons and causes and things that might have been fixable or preventable. Sometimes you can find those answers; sometimes you are left with a heartbreaking mystery in the end. I hope that loving, happy memories of your beloved hound will comfort and heal your aching heart.

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I'm so sorry for your loss...how tragic. I have no advice but hope you can get some answers from others who may be more knowledgeable.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest kolegekreed

Thanks everyone. I did want to say, I have no suspicion of the groomer here, we're it pet com where he was injured before, I would be 100% suspect. This particular person we know and is absolutely devastated; she actually sent us a fruit basket today with a nice card.

The vet did advise we could do a necropsy but the last thing we wanted was for him to be cut up. I know this will always be a mystery,but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask those more knowledgable than me.

That is just awful! I am very sorry for your loss.

It is certainly never easy when they leave us, but when it's sudden like that... We lost a cat to seizures that resulted from an apparent vaccine reaction. He was gone so quickly - just horrible.

Marge & Bob with Jane (Jane Krakowski) and Nora the cat.  Missing hounds Heidi, Macho, Blair and Henry, and kitties Penny and Isa.

We are a special needs foster home and do take in seizure greyhounds. Yes, we did have one that went into a seizure and passed away. It is a shock even when you are aware it may happen.

We are so sorry for your loss.

Hugs

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)