Iams Only

Has anyone had a hound that the only food you can feed with out soft stool is iams in the green bag? Even mixing other food to change things up she gets loose stool. I mixed in new food for 3 weeks an soft stool continued. Went back to iams only the next day formed stool :( treats are not a problem its strictly the food change. I do not give a lot of treats but I found one she likes and that's all I feed.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

Peggy will almost certainly have to go back to it once she comes off the vet diet (we think she had a bleeding ulcer from different foods), but it used to cause room-clearing gas ;-)

I think I'm going to give a small bag of Duck and Brown Rice a try first as it is only 18% protein. Some of them can't tolerate higher protein than that or greasy foods either.

Ah... the magic green bag!

Iams here also. I've tried other foods with Sonny and loose stools.

When I tried switching and get past the half new and half Iams, the runny stools start.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest knowimagination

So glad I saw this topic, went and got a costco membership (for the bolster beds :D ) and we needed dog food too so we decided to give the iams a try!

If you do some searching on the site, you'll see dozens of people who use Iams in the green bag for their dogs. I use a combo of Iams in green bag and Natural Balance LID sweet potato and venison in each of Annie's two meals a day. Most of the time she has great poos though with this hot weather, all bets are off by the end of the day.

Guest shanesmom

Only Iams here. Finished the last few bites of my mom's dog's food the other day and the gas was horrible. And he never has gas when he strictly eats the Iams in the green bag. He can't eat most treats either but has no problem with real chicken so I make his chicken strips and chicken feet in the dehydrator for him. Costco is having a $10 off a bag coupon sale right now. Picked up 2 of the huge 50 pound bags for around $60 for both bags.

I've been trying to answer for days on my now deceased computer. I've touted green bag Iams on this forum and others for well over a decade to fix runny poop. Rex's diagnosis was ulcerative colitis and I was dealing with bloody runs and a standing script for Flagyl. Prescription foods, novel protein foods, limited ingredient foods and whatever else was available back then didn't work. I couldn't get anything out of him that was scoopable as opposed to hose innable.

Old timers will attest that I've said this countless times but one day I got so fed up I tossed a green bag of Iams in the cart. I had fed it for years before those "in the know" lectured me about the demon corn. Within one day of transition his poops were firming and in two or three they were almost bounce off the sidewalk firm. He never had bloody runs, pudding poop or grumbly tummy that woke me at night again. It was a miracle. It's the high volume of beet pulp that regulates the water in the intestines. A few on here have tried buying horse size bags of beet pulp to add to "better" foods with varying success.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest sireltonsmom

I just changed to IAMS. My Beau had nasty poops for the entire time we've had him (just under a year). I blamed hooks which he's had and hopefully are gone now. His poops are formed and solid. We are so glad for him as it couldn't have felt good to have runny stuff. BTW, both our greys go on paper outside. It's much easier to deal with.

Guest CleverJason

I kept trying to feed my hound a higher-end dog food, and he kept having soft stools and losing weight (plus, the occasion SBD gas that could clear a room). Any time I tried to increase his food, he would have accidents. A couple days ago, I came across this thread and picked up some Iams to mix into his usual kibble, and I can't believe the difference in only a few short days. Consider me a convert. Thanks for posting this thread!

Edited by CleverJason

Guest Doggone

I only give the IAMS kibble to Autumn, but I do add about a tablespoon of various canned food (whatever's on sale) plus enough water to make a "gravy", just to give her variety. I've also found that sweet potato chews also help keep things firm (it's the only way she'll eat any veggies). :)

I only give the IAMS kibble to Autumn, but I do add about a tablespoon of various canned food (whatever's on sale) plus enough water to make a "gravy", just to give her variety. I've also found that sweet potato chews also help keep things firm (it's the only way she'll eat any veggies). :)

Have you tried green beans cooked with bacon? :rofl

My neighbor has adopted 2 black labs about 1 1/2 years old. They have been bouncing around enough small bags of various brands to start a warehouse. I suggested donating to Humane Society and try Iams. It's a crap shoot anyway you look at it.

Guest wolfood

I have changed foods numerous times. Latest is Dick Van Patten natural balance. First poop is good, then 2nd, 3rd soft. Less volume though. Iams???? First ingredient corn then chicken BY PRODUCTS, NOT MEAT!!

Iams Proactive ingredients list:

Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Flax Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, DL-Methionine, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.

I think the beet pulp and brewers yeast are part of the secret which makes it work. Also it's got corn (maize... not wheat) and sorgum.