Iams Only

First ingredient in Iams is chicken and don't knock it unless you've tried it.

Poodle ate Natural Balance Ultra but the greys always did best on Iams - better than any other "premium" food. Watch too many Blue Buffalo advertisements and you can get brainwashed. I have never fed Blue Buffalo to any dog successfully. Also I'll mention again that by products are not inherently evil. I can go to the large chain grocery on the corner and pay good money for hearts, gizzards, livers, backs, necks, feet, kidneys, tongue, unbleached green tripe, tails, ears, chicken feet, sweetbreads, raw hooves (which also come prepackaged with tripe in a sort of instant menudo kit).

It amazes me how people rile at by-products in dog food then pay outrageous prices for dog treats like tracheas, bully sticks and lamb lung that are...:eek by-products. Do I want by-products as the only protein source? No. Will I feed them? Yes.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest wolfood

Thank you all who responded. I have started my grey on iams green bag ( mixing with dick van patten to start)

As soon as the poppy seed cake she stole gets through her system I expect good results

and i am one of the few who uses:

blue seal lamb and rice,

40#s cost $38

manufactured in the kansas
lamb meal, ground rice, ground barley, rice bran, corn gluten meal, chicken fat,, ground oats, GROUND BEET PULP, etc....
protien 22%
fat 12%
390 kcal/cup
we have good coat, good stool, lots of coupons from the manufacturer and buy 12 bags get one free. works here, the only supplement i add is cold pressed salmon oil.
chicken gave felix itchy skin, so we go w/ lamb and rice

Guest Prairie

Natural Source Lamb meal formula (no grain).

It made all the difference in the world for elimination of gas, solid stools (and fewer stools) and putting on a few necessary pounds and maintaining her weight!

I've tried a couple of blue seal products. Sonny has some issues and Iams is the only thing that will work for him.

One of our groups GH's went to a couple that feed Blue Seal Pork & Sweet Potato. She has the shinnest black coat I've ever seen and she's a bit on the heavy side. I tried it with Sonny, but once I got past the half way point during the switch, his stools became runny again.

The director feeds Blue Seal to his GH's, but I don't know what variety.

There is a processing plant in NH, but I don't know what they make there.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

I'm a convert! New boy has a sloppy poop issue. One serving of IAMS green bag .... cured. Of course this is AFTER I stocked up on 3 bags of our usual food on sale.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest wolfood

Finnsliz,

I have returned opened bags of food that cat/dog did to like. I would think you could return unopened bags!!!

Grace is still transitioning to Iams green. Looks promising.

That's did n o t like.

Finnsliz,

I have returned opened bags of food that cat/dog did to like. I would think you could return unopened bags!!!

Grace is still transitioning to Iams green. Looks promising. That's did n o t like.

Thanks, I have two other dogs that will take care of it. :)

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the IAMs green bag years ago, but it didn't work for Grace. After Grace passed away, I switched Fenway to an IAMs formula, but not the green bag. Maybe it's time to give the green bag a try again???

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I switched all of mine over to Iams in the Green Bag and my BIG BOY Dodge finally has smaller, solid poops. All he could eat before was Natural Balance L/D and the other ate Verus. Very happy with the Iams - especially the price. I can get a 50 Lb bag at BJs for 47.99. Beats $60 for a 30 Lb bag.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest wolfood

Thanks to all who have commented about Iams green bag. Grace now has firm poop. Not a dainty amount but acceptable. She goes 3x a day. First two on first walk. If we go to the park she manages a little bit more, than once in the afternoon. No more pudding poop!! Yay!!

Does anyone use another formula other than the green bag?

Guest OPointyDog

Does anyone use another formula other than the green bag?

Yes, our girl Zoe eats the red bag - lamb and rice. Green bag didn't work as well for her, and our previous dog (grey x GSD) did very well on the red bag.

Sometimes if her poop gets a little soft, I mix the Iams with about 1/2 a cup of our other grey's prescription high fiber food, and that takes care of the problem. Beet pulp rules!

I'm so glad I found this topic! Since we adopted Aidan in April he has had runny poops. After getting his worms taken care of and switching from one expensive food to another he was still having problems. To be honest I was a little hesitate on buying the Iams because "OMG they sell it at the common grocery store!" and it wasn't the high class pet store food I had been brainwashed into thinking was obviously more superior.

As we were in store picking up one of the "green bag" I looked at my husband and asked him if I was a bad person for buying me dog such "low quality" food!

BUT..............Aidan has been on the green bag Iams for a week now and his stools are so much better then they were and he likes the food! (I think he would eat anything though) This just goes to show how much the media and dog food commercials can get into our heads sometimes. I will continue to feed Iams and do as another posted suggested and maybe mix in a little canned food for variety.