New Here, Hello From Los Angeles (Pasadena)

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Hello!

My family and I just adopted our first greyhound ever!

We live in Pasadena. Are there any Pasadena greyhound owners here who get together for walks or meetups?

My greyhound is Coe. He's one of the 11,000 offspring of Gable Dodge from the Gable Kennel in Texas. He was not a racer -- I don't know the reason, probably too slow to make the cut. We adopted Coe from Hemopet, a canine blood bank in California, which got him and his set of siblings directly from the breeder. He had been at the blood bank for two years (?) according to the papers I received.

Coe seems to be adjusting pretty well. He won't do stairs going down but will going up. I know, I need to work on it slowly. He wasn't fostered before we got him, as Hemopet does adopt out directly.

Here he is -- he discovered roaching on his first night. Previously he had been on a hard floor.

h9JdfrD.jpg

Two years a captive blood donor? That's a disgrace. :(

Thank you for rescuing Coe from Hemopet. He looks so happy.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Welcome to Greytalk! :wave You're in the heart of greyhound land! When I lived in SoCal, I volunteered for the group called Greysave, which is based out of Pasadena. They've got a spa day coming up soon... and lots of meets & greets + very friendly folks who LOVE greyhounds. :D See http://greysave.org/ for events, etc. You're boy is very handsome and looks just like my Finnian in his younger days.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Here he is -- he discovered roaching on his first night. Previously he had been on a hard floor.

h9JdfrD.jpg

Welcome to GT! Coe is a handsome guy. I'm in Fullerton so I'm not too far from you but just far enough away if you count traffic. :wife

When you say previously he had been on a hard floor, are you referring to the time he spent crated in the adoption area? I'm just curious because that was my experience the last time I visited Hemopet and that was a few years ago. I was hoping they had changed how they kept the adoptable dogs.

Two years a captive blood donor? That's a disgrace. :(

Thank you for rescuing Coe from Hemopet. He looks so happy.

From my experience talking with people, that's typical, although not what their website says they do (12-18 months).

Coe does look very happy now. I'm sure he is going to enjoy his new freedom and life.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I live just a bit east of you, depending on traffic. :welcome:)

Coe is adorable, and such a lucky guy! I LOVE his name. Looks like he's adapting so poorly to the sweet life... :lol poor, poor hound. :violin

Aston's also had a rough time of it. Here he is on his awful new bed. :rolleyes: my husband and I fight over the Costco dog beds.
astonbed_zps745f0b01.jpg

I don't have any experience with Hemopet.. Aston came from GreySave. They're a great group! Do join their gatherings and pic-a-nics, they're amazing folks. Great community! :)

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Hi, yes, a hard floor. I guess it's easier to clean. Every time I visited, it was just blankets like this in his crate and every dog's.

I don't think they want beds in there because it would take more time for them to remove and refit covers and have to deal with cleaning the foam, replacing beds, arranging for disposal, etc.

Coe had his blood drawn recently; a rectangle of shaved skin is on his neck. I thought that when the greys were done, they were placed in the adoption bungalow and weren't giving blood anymore, but I saw a couple of greys with bandaged necks.

mfBOhzh.jpg

I'm in Torrance, about a half-hour drive from Pasadena. If ever you wanted to meet a 10-month-old racing greyhound puppy, you can meet The Bean.

20140714_0006-M.jpg

If you're on Facebook, you can check out the Greytalk community there as well.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest sireltonsmom

Welcome and yay for Coe that he has his forever home and soft, cushy beds and all the love in the world. I'm in Florida so will rely on your greyt pictures.

I'm in Torrance, about a half-hour drive from Pasadena. If ever you wanted to meet a 10-month-old racing greyhound puppy, you can meet The Bean.

20140714_0006-M.jpg

If you're on Facebook, you can check out the Greytalk community there as well.

Soooo jealous if you get to meet Bean~!! We ALL want to meet Bean!!

Oh, and welcome to GT and the greyhound cult...um world!! (Yeah, that's it...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Congratulations! He's very handsome.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the welcome and compliments. :beatheart

Coe is on my son's former mattress in our family room, and he has a cushy bed in his crate in guest bedroom where he can retreat. So far no bed hogging on the people beds. :)

I can't believe he gave blood for two years and came from the breeder kennel. Coe is 5.

Welcome to Greytalk from Virginia, Coe is very handsome. I hope you get a chance to meet Bean,

Debbie and Brady

Edited by bradymom

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Welcome to GT and congrats on your very handsome boy, Coe! :confetti I'm so glad he's found his forever home with you. Two years as a blood donor is just terrible. :(

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Welcome to GreyTalk! :)

Congratulations on your adoption of your handsome new family member, Coe! I'm so happy he has flown the blood bank coop for good! That photo is absolutely adorable, and we'll look forward to many more as he finally begins to relax into his cushy new life. I imagine he will feel extra appreciative of his new life as part of a loving family.

You might be interested in scheduling your next Greyhound friendly vacation in lovely Solvang, CA (not far from Santa Barbara)! Coe would be able to mingle with hundreds of his own kind from all over the west coast, and he may even see some familiar faces! I highly recommend this 3-day Greyhound event, and the hospitable town of Solvang community -- it's a blast! :)

Please check out the link: http://www.solvanggreyhoundfest.org/

Coe looks handsome and happy. :)

I remember when my first grey learned how to do stairs -- she was so proud. Would go up and down them just to marvel at herself :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Welcome, Coe is one handsome fella, congratulations to all of you!

I live in Echo Park, near Dodger stadium, with my two - Doodles and _____(insert name of the day here)____ LOL I lost my beloved boy, Carl, suddenly on April 1. Adopted a new girl for he sake of my sweet girl, Doodles, who missed her brother (and littermate). I'm not sure how thrilled she is with the new arrival, she's definitely happier to have her around when I'm at work, but when I'm home - meh! Names of the day...Martina, Dusty, Dutch, Stevie, Gloria, Blair (the name the group gave her because they didn't know her call name), Blurry (her foster mom's nickname for her), Softly/Softy (her call name was Softy), and finally, today's name of the day - Dixie!

We are also with Greysave, lots of really amazing people in the group - I've made lifetime friends through them, that is certain. Other groups in SoCal are great, too, it's nice how all the SoCal groups work together for the betterment of the dogs.

I can say that I'm lucky enough to have met Bean at the Greysave picnic last May!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Bean_Scotch

Congrats on adopting and kudo's for adopting a blood donor dog! I'm in 'all for it' for blood donor dogs because as an aspiring vet tech I know how important they are to saving canine lives! I have 3 blood donor dogs here that are still currently donating!