New Here, Hello From Los Angeles (Pasadena)

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I just tried to PM you, but then realized that you don't have enough posts yet! So -- if you haven't yet picked a vet for Coe, I highly recommend AAECP (aaecp.com). Drs. Chan and Mo took incredible care of Aston :beatheart The facility operates on both a daytime and after-hours/emergency basis, which is (unfortunately) quite handy, and reassuring. We got to know the place quite well over the last 10 months.

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I just tried to PM you, but then realized that you don't have enough posts yet! So -- if you haven't yet picked a vet for Coe, I highly recommend AAECP (aaecp.com). Drs. Chan and Mo took incredible care of Aston :beatheart The facility operates on both a daytime and after-hours/emergency basis, which is (unfortunately) quite handy, and reassuring. We got to know the place quite well over the last 10 months.

Thank you so much!!!

By the way, I just looked up the practice, and I know that building! I have used that dog daycare (I Dig My Dog) across the street and gone to that In N Out Burger, too.

Thanks!

Edited by greyhound_in_LA

• 1 month later...

Two years a captive blood donor? That's a disgrace. :(

Thank you for rescuing Coe from Hemopet. He looks so happy.

NO! they do a MAX of one year, Coe was in their kennel waiting for adoptive parents for 2 years. My Conrad, being a black and very docile greyhound, was at Hemopet for a tad longer BUT they do not use them as donors for the whole time. Dr Dobbs was, IIRC, the first to really do the donor program. I know some out there will do it until they blow out the veins.

Once the greyhound has been in the donor process, they move to the outside kennels {the main building has a HUGE room for donors and those that arrive needing other medical care, like broken limbs. I presume they also have those being spayed an neutered in there. Once they are healthy and ready they move to the outside kennels. These are 6 {I think} buildings, each with a run that is covered. They also have staff and others come and take the greys out for walks in the grass etc.

I have adopted two FANTASTIC greyhounds from Hemopet Both have been very cat friendly as is Coe. I am in a wheelie chair and have small grand kids so my DW insisted on a calmer pup and Betty being the greyhound whisperer that she is, set me up with Conrad, I never even got to LOOK at Coe. We looked at one that freaked out with my wheelie chair and the other was VERY active.

I think she spent as much time on the couch with the helpers, she is a great girl but to active for us. Conrad was also, like Queen, walking well with my chair from the beginning.

Soooo jealous if you get to meet Bean~!! We ALL want to meet Bean!!

Oh, and welcome to GT and the greyhound cult...um world!! (Yeah, that's it...)

well if you REALLY want to meet Bean, come to Solvang :hehe I bet Steve will be there again this year...I plan on seeing Bean then :nod

Welcome to GreyTalk! :)

Congratulations on your adoption of your handsome new family member, Coe! I'm so happy he has flown the blood bank coop for good! That photo is absolutely adorable, and we'll look forward to many more as he finally begins to relax into his cushy new life. I imagine he will feel extra appreciative of his new life as part of a loving family.

You might be interested in scheduling your next Greyhound friendly vacation in lovely Solvang, CA (not far from Santa Barbara)! Coe would be able to mingle with hundreds of his own kind from all over the west coast, and he may even see some familiar faces! I highly recommend this 3-day Greyhound event, and the hospitable town of Solvang community -- it's a blast! :)

Please check out the link: http://www.solvanggreyhoundfest.org/

They REALLY roll out the greyt carpet for us. Most of the businesses allow the greys in their businesses. Governor Brown just signed a law that allows the dogs to go through a restaurant to patio seating. They have been doing that for years in Solvang, at least during Solvang greyhound fest.

that roach picture is one HAPPY pup. Conrad won't even TRY to get up on the bed, silly boy. We need to get together sometime so Coe and Conrad can say HI! :gh_runner:gh_run2