End Of Life With Osa

Guest Sukiedog

Guest Sukiedog

Hi, so my dear dog Sukie is almost 14 and was diagnosed with OSA just three and a half weeks ago. She has severe arthritis from before the osteo and now we are doing pain management.

The problem we have is knowing when to say goodbye. She is eating heartily, although some meals I give her "in bed." She is happy to see us. But she can hardly walk. I'm Terrified the affected let will break (front leg/shoulder).

If anyone can tell me how the last weeks were I'd really appreciate it.

In the last week she started gabaprin and she is already on max dose of tramadol and rimadyl. She's also taking the fosimax generic as I didn't want her to have to go to the vet for the infusion as it stresses her out so much.

My heart is breaking for her. Out family is so sad and we want to have the most time with her but I don't want her to suffer.

Thank you. Sukie's Mom.

Edited by Sukiedog

Guest roweboy

I'm sorry for your situation. I have not gone through this exact scenario since we just adopted our first greyhound 2 months ago and he's not yet 3 yrs old. I'm so in love with him that I dread the inevitability of his end days. However, I've had many rescue dogs and cats and have been through numerous end of life events. Each time I've wondered how I'd know when to end it. With each pet this decision is unique. The last was one of the hardest as he was a spunky little terrier who was about 14 but last year had rapidly lost sight, hearing and sense of smell. He couldn't really eat, walked into everything, couldn't play or go for walks, couldn't settle down and relax and yet was happy to take the final car ride. The vet assured me he had virtually no quality of life.

My only advice is to love your baby and keep her pain free as possible. If she's happy to see you, can still eat and potty herself, she's got a little more time. When a dog loses the ability to walk completely, can't make it outside to potty, loses interest in most things, then it's time. Always take comfort that she's had a wonderful life with you, and her passing may mean you can open your heart and home to another friend in need. The end is always hard, but I know all my pets have had the best life possible, and a far better life with me than they had before. Dogs don't think about death; they live in the moment. They depend on you right to the end to do what's best.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately if she can barely walk her pain is not managed. I would look at IV pamidronate and/or radiation if you want to extend her time with you, as well as increasing her dose of Gabapentin although as much as I hate to say this, if she is already maxed out on Tramadol and NSAIDs her cancer may be too progressed. Do you know what her X-rays look like? And do you have a plan in place if her leg does fracture? What if you are alone? You might want to check out the osteo thread in this forum, you'll get lots of input and support there.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Sukiedog

It's her rear arthritic legs that seem to be the issue not the leg with the osteo. She just started the Gabapentin so I'm hoping it will get better over the next couple of days. My husband is really not ready to let her go. I think we are going watch her for the next couple of days and then schedule the vet to come to us. We decided when we got the diagnosis we didn't want to extend her life just make it a pleasant as possible.

The X-ray showed early signs of a tumor and we had a radiologist look at it too. I could see the shadows clearly myself. It's in her proximal femur. That's why we thought we had a couple months. But, I think her arthritis is getting the best of her.

She hates the car and the vet and even before he diagnosis it would take her ages to recover. Our vet has made a house call and gives us help via phone and email. She is amazing.

I guess I'm just clutching at straws here. My hubby and I are trying to come to terms with this and I think it's harder for him as he doesn't do the daily care I do.

Edited by Sukiedog

If she's bearing enough extra weight on her arthritic legs to cause that much difficulty that still says to me her pain is not managed (or if nothing else her arthritic pain isn't), but you could also give acupuncture and cold laser therapy a shot for the arthritis and see if there is notable improvement. The problem is those things can take time to work so you have to weigh that. It's a very tough position to be in. I am definitely a believer in better a day too soon than a day too late, but I know from my own experience that its not always that simple. Hoping you and your husband can reach a decision together that will leave you both at peace.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I just went through this, minus the osteo. In some ways, I think knowing he was otherwise healthy made it harder for me. But the arthritis was becoming so difficult and Sam had maxed out on all the medications he was taking--gabapentin, rimadyl, and tramadol. I don't think anyone could tell me when the right time was, I had to decide. It was very hard.

I read a lot of people's experience's here and that was so very helpful. In the end, when he was having really, really frequent incontinence and was struggling so, but his appetite never waned. I wanted to be sure that I could say goodbye to him when it wasn't a pure emergency and I was forced to make the decision. I went with the "better a day early than a day late". We had lots of peanut butter, his favorite, lots of hug and skritchie time, and I took him in on the end of the day of January 28th. I have no regrets. He was not quite 14 and he had graced us for 10+ wonderful years. My time to do him a last act of love.

No one can tell you when to let go, it is a very personal decision. Good luck, you will find a great deal of support here.

i am so sorry to read this. it sounds like your gal has had a good long life prior to this new situation. lucky her! life decisions are never easy. and btw- some dogs keep on eating no matter what. when emily had osteo, only at age 8.5 she ALWAYS ate like a horse...no matter how much pain meds she was on. she never missed a meal, and she was heavily drugged and they stopped working but she still chowed down- one can't go by appetites. it's the constant crying that will tell you when it's time. letting go is such a difficult thing, but such a good thing when you consider how fortunate dogs can be that they do not have to endure such intense pain :grouphug .

I lost Huck to OS. He was only 6 years old. I did not want him to go through the horrible pain from a break in his leg, so I asked the vet to come to my house. I firmly believe it is better to be a day early than a day late and that this is the last gift you can give them. I am so sorry you are going through this.

I am so sorry. This part of being a dog owner sucks the most.

One of the guidelines I have heard suggested from a Vet or two is to make a list of three things your dog loves/ed to do. Chase a ball, shake a stuffie, race in the yard, go for a long walk, beg for treats, etc... As the list gets smaller, you know the dog is saying my time is near. :grouphug

I am a believer in a day early is better than a day too late. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My 10.5 yr old boy had arthritis. He was to the point where he whined at night just trying to get comfortable. His pain meds were not helping, so I had to make the decision to let him go. He was still eating and taking treats with gusto, but he could not get comfortable when laying down and limping more. I agree with the decision of better a day early than a day late. I miss him terribly, but I had to do what was best for him. I was not ready, but I loved him too much to watch him suffer.

Guest carriej

We brought Freeman home and did pain management for a week after diagnosis. We couldn't handle it anymore :( The first few days of pain management, I was like "This is going to be OK" as while he limped, he was still playing and seemed comfortable. He just deteriorated so quickly :(

Due to the location of the osteo (the end of the femur that hooks into the hip socket - weird spot, I even had it confirmed by OSU because I was hoping it was something else) a break was unlikely.

However, any time he moved or bumped it was a GSOD. It was terrible and I couldn't listen to it anymore. He wasn't sleeping, we weren't sleeping. He needed to be carried outside, he had trouble defecating.

He ate with gusto. Freeman never turned down a meal, ever. Even on his very last day. He watched me all :wow while I brought his food to his bed so he didn't have to get up.

It was funny though because on the way to the vet, not a peep. It's like he knew. There is a big field with long grass behind my vet, and I let him hop around in it for a minute. He seemed very happy, almost like he knew he wasn't going to have to hurt anymore. He had just turned 8.

I'm so sorry. I've been through this three times.

My feeling about this is that osteo is an extremely painful disease, more painful than any of us would want to experience. My vet told me that if a dog looks like she's in pain or discomfort, we can be sure that she is in a zillion time more pain than she lets on. I tried my hardest to let mine go before they reached that point, but I'm afraid that I failed them.

Good luck. You will know what to do.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I agree with Robin's vet's assessment of pain. I've faced this twice now with 2 greyhounds and took the day early philosophy. I couldn't live with the consequences of the inevitable traumatic event occurring. Good luck with your decision. I am terribly sorry you have to make it.

btw my husband couldn't make that decision either and I knew and understood that, but I know it can make things harder for you.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Please let us know how she is doing. Sometimes it helps just to know that others understand what you are going through. Sending prayers to help you through this most difficult of times.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

With my first girl, Scarlett, I booked the vet right at the x-ray appointment to come to my apartment in 10 days. That was the Thursday before a long weekend so that I would have time to stop crying before going back to work. For those 10 days I ordered in food every night so she could have all kinds of goodies. I took her last day off to spend with her and she received guests all day, and the last hour she was surrounded by 8 of us who loved her the most.

Those last 10 days came at the end of a truly blessed 13.5 years together. I have to say, knowing what I know now, I might not wait the 10 days. I know I was petrified every day that I would come home to her being injured and in extreme pain.

Edited by carronstar

Guest Sukiedog

Thank you all for these thoughtful and helpful replies. I am going to discuss this again with my husband. Today, she has been up trotting about a couple times better than yesterday but still quite bad. I am goin to see if the vet can come to our home in Saturday. She really is amazing. She never whimpers but she never barked in 12 years we have had her either... She's a sweet little gal who used to jump and do "donuts" in the back yard. She won't even go and sun herself anymore. Thank you. I will update you all this weekend.

I'm so sorry you are facing this. Gentle hugs to Sukie and all her love her. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I've been down the OSA path with 3 of my precious greys, and they did let me know when it was time. Each stopped eating, refused treats, refused the ear rubs or tummy rubs that they usually mugged for, and could hardly stand to walk outside to potty. Clearly a quality of life decline that was pretty quick... 6 weeks from the very first limp with each of them. Unfortunately an aggressive form of OSA. :weep Your baby will let you know. Keeping you, your DH and sweet Sukie in my prayers. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I have walked down this path 3 times with Greyhounds. The first time was the learning experience about end of life issues and thank goodness I had paved the way for my Vet to tell me when it was time because we were dealing with lymphosarcoma and I didn't have a clue. #2 was osteo and despite greyt advice from others on this forum regarding pain control, she gave me "the look" 10 days post dx. #3 was multiple organ failure stemming from glomerulonephritis and she, too, gave me "the look" but not until I had talked and talked and talked to her to convince her that I would be ok.

I am so sorry you are facing this decision, especially if your DH isn't on board. I had to go it alone too, but it was the least I could do as my last act of love.

Better a day too soon than an hour too late.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

:bighug

One of the toughest decisions you will ever have to make.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I've been through this twice, once with an 8yo who had his leg amputated. And with a newly adopted 11yo who we took in for one pamidronate treatment that did not show any response. So, we managed his pain for almost 6 months. He had ups and downs. We would increase his pain meds and then decrease them. Then repeat. It was very much a rollercoaster ride. He never had trouble walking. He always had an appetite. But he did cry at the beginning of the nights. We were his new owners so we weren't sure if it was pain or a thing he did. That was the roughest part. But he was very happy to walk around the backyard, take car rides and be a part of our family. His lesion was in the front knee so our theory was that it washn't as close to the main bone marrow, blood supply as Hurley's was in the lower leg. I think you will know when it's right. Quality of life is the answer and I'm sure you and your husband will be able to talk it through and decide together for yourselves and mostly for your beloved hound.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background