Now Hurt Leg

Guest kar

If you flip his foot over so the top of the foot is on the ground - is that what you mean? If so, that is neurological and the gabapentin should help with the discomfort. How much are you giving him and how often?

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably tweaked his back and it aggravated the nerves effecting his leg. Kind of like when you pinch your neck. They have found that it is better to take every 8 hours with these guys, if you can and your vet is ok with it. Plus, there can be a wobbly period while they adjust to the medication and it will go away. You could also be seeing that.

I hope he feels better soon and you are able to get some rest for yourself. Stress can really magnify everything, I know. Been there, too.

Keep us posted, please.

Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

The foot not correcting itself just means that neurologically, some of the signals from the foot to the brain are getting delayed. If your regular vet was doing the test, then I would take what they said with a grain of salt. My Larry also seemed to have the same issue when the regular vet was checking his foot but, at the neurologist (actually went to 2), they said the foot was fine as it was within normal limits and the back was fine although some age-related issues.

You didn't mention whether the vet took x-rays of the leg.

I'm sorry that he is having trouble with the 4 stairs - can you use a towel so that you can help support some of his weight as he is going down the stairs...

Is he eating and drinking OK?

what is an appropriate time to wait for improvement - he is horrible tonight - how long do I let him suffer or when should I expect a little improvement???

Can you post a video as to what he is doing? It is very hard to offer assistance if we don't know exactly what he is doing that is horrible. Thanks.

don't know how to post video he will stand for 45 min after he is up and will not lay down will just stand on his bed and look at me as if he is in pain and does not know what is happening - he stands with his tail between his legs and just watches me even if I sit next to him on the floor he will not lay down to rest - finally he will lay down but it is very hard for him to do this once he lays down it is very hard for him to get back up

I know that he is waiting for me to do something to help him - but I cant help him to lay down because then he will cry I just was wondering if anyone knew when to expect any kind of good reaction from the medication

I know you mentioned that he can't have other meds because of his stomach problem, but methocarbamol should be ok to use. And if the alternative is euthanasia, I would even give prednisone a try before making that decision. There is some risk, but it might not cause any stomach problems.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

he is much worse this morning. knuckled when he tried to go the bathroom. I had to correct the foot. I had to carry him up the stairs. don't know what to do will call vet. I cannot afford accuputure nor do I believe there is anyone around here that does it. I also cant afford to loose my job. I am so upset.

Please take a deep breath. And then another. Please ask your vet about the methocarbomal, in my experience (with my dogs) you should see an improvement in a very short period of time if it is going to help, at most a day or two and likely not even that long. It is worth trying. And please ask about Prednisone. Again, I saw this make all the difference in the world in at least two of my campers who had the same knuckling over as your boy.

There are many voices of reason and experience here who are trying to help you, not the least of whom is a grey-savvy veterinarian. Please take a deep breath and try to hear what is being offered. I know how hard this is :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Our angel Shelby used to knuckle under and had a very bad back, all diagnosed when she was close to 12. Our vet recommended some shots (don't recall what it was now) and we asked for Gabapentin, the latter she remained on the rest of her life. She did okay overall and lived another two years. I considered acupuncture as well but we did not end up there. Overall her condition didn't worsen with the exception of the last few months of her life and that was due mostly to the ice and winter. I guess I am saying there are alternatives for you that are not too costly. Good thoughts for your boy and you.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

my vet will not give the methocarbomal,she does not like side effects. I am to call her when i get home i will leave early to let her know how he is doing - she did say it is not a good sign that the meds are not working and that this is not a quality of life for him. she will think about trying prednisone but said he might have another serious bleed in which case i would have to put him down.

Dylan had NO side effects from Methocarbomol. Side effects vs euthanasia, I would rather see if he had any side effects before I PTS. I know you are struggling right now and I'm sorry. Really think you should reach out to the group you adopted him from. Someone will help you! Praying things work out for you....

I agree with Newgreymom. Brady was a little sleepier the first day he started methocarbomol, but that was it. I would rather have a day of extra wobbliness then just choosing to euthanize. It is not an expensive drug, either. I also hope that you reach out to your group or at least tell us where in CT you are located so that someone near you may be able to offer some help.

I am sorry that things are so difficult.

Sometimes you can't help the hand you're dealt. I can honestly say I feel your pain since I have had at least one sick dog in the house since February 2012 and there's still no end in sight. They've each taken their turn so it has been one illness rolled into another and into another. It can be overwhelming and it can be frustrating. I've had moments where I just wanted to get in the car and drive. But I realized I cared too much about my babies so they deserved a mom with her head on straight. Your posts really do resonate with me because I can feel that frustration.

One of my angels Miss Echo hurt her back years ago when she slipped and fell on the ice in February. It was a good week before she started to improve on medication, and it was really the acupuncture that brought her right around. She lived a couple more happy and healthy years after that injury. She knuckled too, it just means that there's something to do with the nerves going on. The vet figures she slipped a disc and that pinched the nerve that ran down her rear left leg causing a sciatic response.

Several times I had to try to calm her when she'd retweek it. She'd hold her leg up to her stomach and just scream and scream. It was terrifying.

If you can find someone nearby to do it, I'd really suggest acupuncture. Cost wise is usually not far off of a vet visit with medication (we pay $110 and she comes to the house to do it, if I go to her clinic, it's only $60). It can reduce inflammation on the target site when they treat the right spots, and they can also target the GI as well to strengthen it. It might be the miracle you need for Scotch.

Sending prayers, strength and white light your way.

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

my vet definitely will not give methocarbomol

accupunture is not an option for me nor are there any close to me

i do not want to keep him alive in misery

my adoption group is in upper ct and really does not keep in touch

he was a big goofy boy who loved to run and play - if he can no longer do this - we will not be happy

i am in fairfield ct and adopted through ct greyhound adoption they are more than an hour away from me

It seems to me your vet doesn't even want to try anything other than pushing euthanasia. Several people on here have suggested using methocarbamol and attested there have been no ill effects. Every JJNG, who is a vet, said it would not cause problems. I think you need a new vet.

Guest LazyBlaze

JJNG is another poster on greytalk, who is a vet.

Best of luck with your boy; keeping you both in my thoughts and hoping you can find something that can help him.

It seems to me your vet doesn't even want to try anything other than pushing euthanasia. Several people on here have suggested using methocarbamol and attested there have been no ill effects. Every JJNG, who is a vet, said it would not cause problems. I think you need a new vet.

Sounds like that to me too. People on here know I am VERY VERY VERY anti-drug but I can tell you methocarbamol is one of the extremely few that I have found to actually be SAFE. I have used a lot of it on different dogs and it has always done well. Sometimes they just need a few maintainance drugs-like some humans. An hour away is no excuse not to contact an adoption group either. Proper medication can sometimes add several happy years to their life but if a person won't do that for them then yeah- they will hurt and provide a euthanasia excuse.

Edited by racindog