Red Blood Cell Breakdown - Vet Stumped

Guest PiagetsMom

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PiagetsMom

Another very quick update on Maya.......

Her muscle enzyme, CK, which was slightly elevated at 553 previously, was higher on this testing at 1491 - normal range is 10-200. Maya's urine tests were negative for myoglobin, which was a surprise to Dr. Miller as I think he felt that myoglobin in the urine would help to explain the muscle enzyme elevation and sensitivities and tenderness Maya exhibits in her lower back and rear end.

One thing of significance is that unlike in previous testing, her babesia titre was moderately elevated, which he's always felt could be a possibility in Maya's issues.

At this point, Dr. Miller has been back in touch with Dr. Couto and has sent all of Maya's recent results for his evaluation. We're waiting for his response - hopefully we'll hear from him soon.

Edited by PiagetsMom

What a mystery, hope you get some answers soon.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest PiagetsMom

Dr. Miller called me tonight, and after talking to Dr. Couto, they still have no definitive answer, but Dr. Couto's thoughts were these:

We can pursue the babesia result by running a PCR test to see if there are any live organisms. Apparently a pup will always have antibodies due to the original exposure. This, we have agreed to do when Dr. Miller returns to work next week.

The other possibility that Dr. Couto mentioned we may have to look into was - and I hate to say this after Robbie, our pet sitter/GPA kennel manager mentioned it to me but told me NOT to look it up because it "wasn't good" - "PFK deficiency", which is a muscle disease with a break down of muscle. I'd actually mentioned this to Dr. Miller after talking to Robbie about 6 weeks ago, but while he knew of it, he's never actually seen a case of it in his practice. Dr. Couto told Dr. Miller that he's never seen a case in a greyhound, but he has seen it in whippets - and considering we're running out of other viable options, depending on the PCR testing, we may have to take a look into it.

I took Robbie's advice last time we talked and didn't pursue it for fear of what I might find, but I guess I'm going to at least give a look at it through the internet so I at least have some sort of idea as to what we're talking about. I don't know how it's treated, or if it even is treatable. Maybe someone here has some input?

Maya's obviously got a problem, she's only 6 years old, and I don't know what else to do but to try to find out what's wrong with her. I'm trying very hard not to be discouraged, but I admit that tonight I'm feeling frustrated that we're still searching and still have no answers for Maya. :( Thanks to everyone who may still be following this for your good thoughts.

Edited by PiagetsMom

How has she been feeling?

I'm sorry the test results haven't been more useful so far :( :( :( .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PiagetsMom

Well, no further blood in her urine that I can see. I do think that she's in some sort of physical discomfort at times as she has a slow, sort of cautious movement to her at times. She's always, from when she first came to me, tended to flinch when you touch her, so I have to wonder. She is eating well, stomach seems fine, so I'm at least thankful for that.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Still here for you :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Really feel for you. You've worked so hard and so lovingly with her. Fingers crossed that whatever she has, it is treatable.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Keep us posted, we're all rooting for her to feel better. I hope you can get some answers soon.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Continued good thoughts. I hope you can get this sorted out with Dr C's help.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest PiagetsMom

I did do some online research on the PFK disease, and Maya does exhibit many of the symptoms. Evidently, there is no cure, except in extreme cases when you might try a bone marrow transplant. And really no treatment other than avoidance of stress, strenuous exercise, overheating and over excitement.

Obviously we've got some things working against Maya here with our summertime heat and her leash reactivity/excitability. I don't know, maybe I just won't walk her.

And, we've always had a pretty quiet house, but we've got our first grandbaby coming any day now, and just found out my other son and his wife are expecting our second in October. With the grandbabies coming, I guess I'll just have to make that as stress free as I can for her. With her high prey drive, I don't know how that will translate to babies, but I've got muzzles and baby gates that I'll be using until I know how she does. I am looking forward to having the grandchildren around. Hopefully, she'll be okay.

So, I've got some thinking to do, but I am going to have the PCR test run for the babesia to completely exhaust that possiblity one way or the other. The babesia I know we can treat for. If the test results take the babesia off the table as a possible cause, I don't know that I even see a reason for testing for the PFK disease. Short of stress management, there is no cure or treatment. Apparently PFK symptoms will come and go, and I'd have to hope that Maya's would not be more severe or lead to anemia. I'll have to talk to Dr. Miller for his opinion, and make my decision from there.

I really appreciate everyone's good thoughts :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

If PFK is where you land with a diagnosis, I would consider trying some anti-anxiety options for her. You could start with more "natural" remedies like DAP, l-theanine, someone recently posted about B12 (I think it was 12?) supplementation, etc. But if those didn't work, I wouldn't rule out Rx medication. If the disease is stress related, I would think treating the stress would be your best option and there's no reason to just restrict yourself to managing her environment since as you pointed out, there are limits to what you do there.

I would also consider working with a veterinary behaviorist. The initial consult is very expensive, but you could get a lot of help that way, especially if you are going to try managing with medication.

Will keep my fingers crossed for Babesia that is treated without issue though. ;)

ETA: Part of me thinks maybe you've already tried some of this stuff with her, in which case you can tell me to go pound salt. :P

Edited by NeylasMom

Guest PiagetsMom

Thanks, Jen. Yes, those are my thoughts right now as well. We have worked with a veterinary behaviorist previously with Maya, so I'm familiar with that situation, but I agree that as there are limits to what I can manage in her environment, medication may need to be an option for her.

I'm hoping for the Babesia route, though, too.

ETA: Part of me thinks maybe you've already tried some of this stuff with her, in which case you can tell me to go pound salt. :P

I would never do that, Jen.....I just really appreciate you or anyone else taking the time to respond with your thoughts or suggestions!

Edited by PiagetsMom