Raw Turkey Necks

I think I am going to start giving Payton turkey (or chicken) necks once a week to try to help his teeth. I brush his teeth every single day but his teeth still need help.

Is there anything I need to watch for? Can it upset his stomach? Is once a week good?

Thanks!

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

It shouldn't upset him unless he is sensitive to turkey. While most dogs take to turkey necks with great enthusiasm, a few aren't too sure at first. If he just looks at you like "what am I supposed to do with that?" you may need to lightly sear the outside, just to make the smell stronger. I wouldn't give chicken necks, they are too small and most greys just gulp them down with little or no chewing :) Most likely he will be thrilled!

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry is sensitive to turkey but handles the necks just fine. I give them to him frozen on a beach towel. He wasn't quite sure of it the first time but after a couple of licks he was chomping away. Supervise when your dog has one- after chomping for quite awhile Harry will inhale the whole neck, sometimes hacking it back up.

Hester has one every day. I feed them partially frozen. When he first arrived he used to plow through them in about 30 seconds. He has finally learned to savour them and takes a bit more time. It is amazing to see how powerfull his jaws are compared to dogs that visit who do not get such things. So many health benefits.

003tfu.jpg

If he's not used to bone... you may want to give a serving of green tripe that day. If you can't get real raw green tripe, you can get Tripett in a can. It will help him not get constipated from it. If you are at all doubtful about it and he's generally a bit of a gulper... you can hold one end with a pair of vise grips until you are comfortable letting go. The one in my picture is the very first one I ever gave her. After that one, I cut ones of that size in half.

DSC00542.jpg

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I'm not sure how common this is, but the first time I gave Twiggy a turkey neck, she had blow-out diarrhea from it. (She'd been with me less than a year at that point)

I was concerned about giving one to her again, but some time later (maybe a year?) I gave her another one, and she was fine with it, and any others I gave her later.

I think her system was still adjusting to a variety of foods the first time I have one.

So, I wanted to mention her experience with them so that if you experience this at first, it may be OK later. It might be a good idea to just give a smaller portion of one the first time out just in case.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Thanks for the advice. He managed to grab a fried chicken leg and tried to swallow it whole. I have no doubt he would try to gulp the necks down too. Payton struggled with milk bones-very briefly- so I am sure it will be an experience for him.

I will make sure to give it over the weekend to try to minimize any problems to when I am home.

Thanks!

Clarice just had her first turkey neck this evening. She seemed to enjoy it and it has been a few hours so I'm hoping no issues through the night. Ozzie really likes them too and they're WONDERFUL for his teeth. No issues for him at all :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sometimes they get a bit of runny poop at first, but we've never had any serious issues with it. Once he gets used to it you'll probably find that he has tiny crumbly poops afterward. Riley gets them twice a week in place of a regular meal - we were doing it once a week but his teeth look better when he gets them a little more often. I give them to him straight out of the freezer. He has to lie down on an oversized towel before he gets his turkey neck (he learned that really fast because every time he started to move it off the towel I took it back). He starts off licking it like a popsicle, but once he gets going he power chews through a large frozen turkey neck in about ten minutes. Then the towel goes into the washer. The vet says he's never seen a greyhound with such beautiful healthy teeth.

We get our turkey necks online in 30-lb. boxes from My Pet Carnivore. We partially thaw them, then pry them apart and individually package them in gallon Ziploc bags and stash them in a dedicated basket in the chest freezer. It makes feeding time super easy.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chickenpotpie

I'm able to get a case of organic turkey necks through our local grocery store for 42 bucks. I usually takes them a couple of days to come in after I put my order in, but I find its certainly worth going that route versus online.

I give a frozen one to Ruby once a week and she goes nutso. I put it in her bowl outside and she takes it and runs around like crazy, flips it in the air, throws it around a few more times and then settles down to munch away for about 30 minutes. Her teeth look much better since I started giving her these, even though I brush her teeth 3-4 times a week.

Good luck.

Karen

Guest MrsKuchta

Silly question, I'm thinking about giving some to Roobie once we get our yard fenced in (much less mess outside!) but anyhow, do you need to worry about them eating the bones? I gave her a smoked pork bone someone gave us when we first got her and I learned about what a terrible idea that was. Just making sure that we can let her eat the whole turkey neck without worrying.

Silly question, I'm thinking about giving some to Roobie once we get our yard fenced in (much less mess outside!) but anyhow, do you need to worry about them eating the bones? I gave her a smoked pork bone someone gave us when we first got her and I learned about what a terrible idea that was. Just making sure that we can let her eat the whole turkey neck without worrying.

Raw bones are fine for them to eat. It's the cooked bones you want to avoid. They will splinter and could cause damage.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

I always keep an eye on them just to be sure no one is gulping, but, we have not had any issues and no tummy upset later.

Since it is winter right now my kids have to chew inside. Clarice gets hers in her kennel and then I just wash her blanket right away. Ozzie always takes his to the loveseat so I cover his blankets up with an old sheet, unless his blanket is due to be washed anyway, then I just let him have it on his loveseat blanket and it goes in the wash when he is done.

Giving them frozen keeps the mess minimal. :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I gave Payton the turkey neck from the Christmas turkey. He wasn't sure what it was at first but it didn't take him long to figure it out. It wasn't frozen so he ate it pretty quick. He loved it. I am going to start giving them to him frozen so they last a bit longer.

Thanks for the advice!

I got a 7.0 cubic foot chest freezer for Christmas so I can now buy LOTS of turkey necks!

I do hack them in half if I get big tom necks that are too much for one dog. Never had a problem with doing it. I usually get the much smaller hen necks so I don't do it all the time.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

The first time I gave Molly and Mason turkey necks I heard the bones crack and posted on Greytalk that I killed my dogs. :hehe:hehe I was assured that I did NOT kill them. The hounds LOVE them. I don't give them that often and they only get them outside (so not in the winter) but they enjoy them when they get them. They haven't had diarrhea from them.

Hello. Is it safe to cut a turkey neck with a knife. I want to feed it to my two hounds? Concerned about splinters. Thx. :reindeer

Quite safe to cut them... I cut our large Christmas neck into three pieces, so they'd all get some.

They gobbled up the rest of the 'innards' too!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I saw this post today, because I went into our local pet shop the other day and noticed that they sell turkey necks from their freezer - it is the first time I've seen them on sale in the UK! I'm not going to start giving them to Sid until his foot is healed a bit because just now an upset gut would be a horrible thing for him (tripod + corn removal = difficulty with mobility.

But after that I'm going to get some. His teeth are pretty good for a ten year old but they could certainly do with a sparkle!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop